Jayden Wayne to the portal

Advertisement
Sure but the bigger picture here is that we were supposed to be building the trenches and 3 major recruits from the last two classes are already gone in Kelly, Wayne and Acheampong. Two of those guys didn’t even make it into year 2.

We will be fine, as we recruited DE well last cycle and we still have the portal and while this is in no way a death blow, it’s not great. We talk about building not being sustainable, I see evidence piling up that in this new era, building HS recruiting may not be sustainable. This kid was going into his 2nd year, he had time to develop and whatever NIL we did pay him was a waste now.
Fair points. It makes you wonder if anyone is ever going to wait and be developed for a couple years before playing.

These dudes aren't even close to done developing and some aren't even done growing. DL is a grown *** man game. I've seen people put in the work you didn't ever think would see the field and then they turn into something.

Pushed out, that would be a different story as you have benchmarks you want someone to hit developmentally off of the field. Stuff is just wild anymore. It's becoming a total circus.
Facts man guys still growing into their bodies on the line of scrimmage I always give guys to year 3 in the trenches to have a good idea to see what they're gonna be, like you said people have grown man strength in the trenches and wild to judge guys after one year.

Straight up NFL salary cap model then. But how can they fully evaluate guys on the line of scrimmage after only their true freshman season.
Honestly don’t think they can, gut feeling to some extent. Unfortunately this NIL landscape leads to sacrifices.

More programs are obtaining data, think you start to see a pretty large disparity when it comes to HS spending - it will even out.

The upper tier recruits (top 20-25) will get more thrown their way. Where the 100-200 kids will see significantly less - believe that pool will be used for portal now due to limited restrictions.

That's not my personal take I want guys to get to year 3 and see where they are at development wise. But so many people on here saying we'll he didn't emerge as a huge breakout player after his freshman season so let's dump him or any of players in similar situations. This portal got everyone rushing **** just trippin
Im with you. Especially with these grown men spots. Same time some guys will inevitably move along that **** just happens

What else people are talking about here I have no ******* clue

Advertisement
think going forward the big time schools with robust NIL budgets aren't gonna recruit guys who need 2-3 years of development out of high school. they'll go to smaller schools and if they show out will be poached for 1-2 year rentals before they to pro.

take Cyrus moss for example, we couldn't have known that he'd be unable to add weight, but we knew he needed to add a ton of weight to play at this level. y take the risk that he doesn't (and spend the NIL money on him when he's developing and not contributing). just farm that out to podunk state's football progrum

He’s going to develop into a good player, but he isn’t athletic enough to play the standup edge role and would feasibly not get major playing time at the closed end role with Bain and Mesidor ahead of him
Solid assessment, especially with some added insight on the work ethic. Still disappointed.

Bunch of busts so far from evaluation gurus Mario and Zo.

Couch Surfing Arm Chair Qb GIF by Crossroads Church

Advertisement
Sure but the bigger picture here is that we were supposed to be building the trenches and 3 major recruits from the last two classes are already gone in Kelly, Wayne and Acheampong. Two of those guys didn’t even make it into year 2.

We will be fine, as we recruited DE well last cycle and we still have the portal and while this is in no way a death blow, it’s not great. We talk about building through the portal not being sustainable, I see evidence piling up in this new era that building through HS recruiting may not be sustainable. This kid was going into his 2nd year, he had time to develop and whatever NIL we did pay him was a waste now.
That's been my biggest concern regarding the portal era. Makes you wonder if building through HS recruiting is sustainable. We are going to have to figure out a way to be more flexible and efficient with NIL but that's easier said than done at this point. A big part of building Championship caliber teams were the players who would stay and develop for 4-5 years. That's going to become much more difficult under the current model unless this gets tweeked fairly soon. There needs to be concessions made on the players side because wild west free for all style free agency will destroy the sport and that would be a shame.

Someone is going to have to step up and get this thing under control by coming up with some common sense rules for both sides. Take a player like Samson Okunlola. He gets hurt his first year and he came back just in time for Spring so he is likely not even at 100% since he is just coming off an injury. This is the type of kid who would be a no brainer in terms of keeping him and letting him develop but in this climate of unrestricted free agency and NIL, people are actually doing a cost/benefit analysis on the young man which to me is absolutely ridiculous. In college football especially on both lines, you just can't get rid of an obviously talented kid just because he didn't make the all conference team as a true freshman. Conversely from the players point of view I think it's silly to just pick up and leave after one year because you haven't won a starting job yet. Are there other legit reasons players leave programs early? Absolutely but the whole climate being created where kids are taking their ball and going home because they didn't become a superstar as a true freshman is destructive and not at all sustainable. It takes character, determination, hard work and perseverance to become truly good at whatever position you play. Another potential pitfall to this unrestricted portal era is team chemistry. Those teams from 2000-2003 wouldn't stand a chance in today's climate. Hopefully a few intelligent individuals come together and work out a few common sense guidelines and restrictions on both sides so we can have NIL and the portal without them tearing apart the foundation of what makes college football the greatest sport in the world.

Advertisement
Commitment...

So few seem to have it. Not just young people. Everyone.
Tenacity combined with self-motivation pulled ne out of a deep, dark, deadly hole many years ago. that climb made me a real man. Adversity and coming up short suck. Nothing against Jayden, just hate to see these young men with so much potential, make a major commitment to a school....and then walk after the first or second year. Grass is not always greener somewhere else...it's just different grass.
And don't get me started on greed, egos and NIL...

Late night tonight with a Statistics Final... Gentlemen, I am fried and heading to bed.
Jayden, sleep on your decision. Take your time. Be a part of the dynsasty rebuild.

McConathy has already surpassed him, they want Lightfoot on the field, and looking in the portal.

I’m scared for our depth at DE due to Mesidor’s injury history but when they’re healthy it’s an elite 1-2-3 with flashy guys that can really get after the passer after those guys.
McConathy must be a stud in the making.

Advertisement
McConathy must be a stud in the making.

His HS production was insane. My guess is he has a very high floor. No sure how high his ceiling is. But it's possible his floor is already what convinced coaches not to try to stop Wayne from leaving. It's still shiny object syndrome. At one point, if you invest as heavily as Mario's staff and NIL have done in high school recruiting, you got to figure out how to develop more than a handful each class.

His HS production was insane. My guess is he has a very high floor. No sure how high his ceiling is. But it's possible his floor is already what convinced coaches not to try to stop Wayne from leaving. It's still shiny object syndrome. At one point, if you invest as heavily as Mario's staff and NIL have done in high school recruiting, you got to figure out how to develop more than a handful each class.
Miami probably has a value chart installed for NIL purposes that works similar to FA value boards in the NFL. How much percentage should go to a player, to a position, in comparison to other players on the team and in comparison to other players in the country, production being a factor, etc. etc. etc.

Wayne was a highly ranked recruit, so he got some NIL, he didn't live up to it, so they cut his spot. Roster spots, I would argue, have gotten more competitive in the modern era. You have NIL to live up to and you have the possibility that if you let up, a young freshman can take your spot or you're being replaced by the Portal. And thats how HS recruiting now works, you got a year to build and then, you better show something or you're done.

And when you hear that a second-year player gets beaten out by freshmen (multiple), well, tough ****.

Makes a lot of money and doesn’t flash anything elite. Too average to make that much NIL.

I tried to hint at this one last week.

Poor evaluation by Mario and Zo. There’s a lot in that category when you had an NFL Personnel guy on staff and took pride in that part of it.
Evaluating guys after watching snaps in college is alot different than evaluating snaps in high school.

I think zo was probably solid because he’s been around football a long time but the blind faith everyone had in a guy who’s never been around cfb was odd.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back