Javi Salas examines the hitting decline and the Saturday/Sunday struggles

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

It was more of the same for the Canes, with a series loss to Georgia Tech capped by a 17-1 annihilation. Javi Salas, who threw the 23rd perfect game in Division 1 history, joined the CanesInSight Podcast to talk what’s next:

On the Saturday and Sunday pitching: The recipe for Miami is that the starting pitcher has to go deep into the game. You need to get to that Walters/Robert area of the game, the seventh, eighth, and ninth, where Miami does have answers...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Honest question for those with critiques: what is Javi saying that you disagree with? He addressed the issues with talent, execution and preparation. Short of saying “fire everyone tomorrow,” did he say anything inaccurate?

I want to make sure our baseball content is as quality as possible, so I appreciate any feedback on the show.

Honest question for those with critiques: what is Javi saying that you disagree with? He addressed the issues with talent, execution and preparation. Short of saying “fire everyone tomorrow,” did he say anything inaccurate?

I want to make sure our baseball content is as quality as possible, so I appreciate any feedback on the show.
Dmoney,

I don't post a lot here. But I read everything. I have been a member for 2017. I personally appreciate the coverage as I am sure everyone else does. Javi is a great resource of baseball knowledge. He didn't say anything I disagree with. It's what he didn't say and maybe he can't say.

It's time for a change and was time for a change from the old guard. JD lost his fire I believe and is jaded from not getting the job before DiMare. I love this program. I watch every game on ESPN+ when I have the opportunity.

Can Javi say that this was the wrong hire based on the buddy system? Should you let the inmates run the asylum? No, he can't say that. But the program needed to separate itself from the Morris coaching tree a long time ago.

Just like Morris coming in 1994 brand new. That's what should have happened here. If you asked Javi without a mic, what he thinks, I am pretty sure he would at least acknowledge this. He's to smart of a guy.

And please keep doing the coverage of the baseball team. I love Canesinsight. I check in almost daily.

Last edited:

He should be saying this. Everyone should be saying this. Anything short of saying this, might as well be complicit.

But we get that’s not a great look for you to have someone saying it.

Advertisement
He should be saying this. Everyone should be saying this. Anything short of saying this, might as well be complicit.

But we get that’s not a great look for you to have someone saying it.
This, and let's hope that behind the scenes, the boosters are saying it. And while I doubt Rad would fall on his sword over the baseball HC, he should be preparing for it as we speak.

It’s pretty simple. The only thing to say is fire everybody. Pathetic hire and pathetic season. What a joke the season has been.

Adding to this. I think it’s more than baseball. Down year for basketball. Football hasn’t done anything (hopefully just a sleeping giant about to pop off) baseball is a disaster. Everything seems worse since he’s arrived D rad has pretty extremely underwhelming… he might even be doing worse than Blake James? didn’t even think that was possible yet here we are.

D,

You run a great website and appreciate Javi’s analysis. My saltiness is regarding the Admin only. I haven’t been a JD fan for a long time and them passing on great coaches like a Pollard for a former Cane and buddies with Alum and Boosters just screams same old Miami.

No one with any baseball knowledge can tell me JD is a better coach than Pollard, etc. This has been a horrible season and something everyone knew was going to happen. Miami missing out on a 64 team tournament is just embarrassing. Next year is not going to be any better with Gage and Rafe being drafted this year.

Advertisement

I think it's a matter of as a former player he's not going to really dig into anyone and call things how they are. He'll gently mention it maybe. I get why, we'd probably need players from the 80's and 90's that are more old school to lay it on thick.. and even then, they might just have a code, not to bash the program.

Rafe and Herick both need to skip summer ball and just work on pitch design. Mid 90 lefties should not be getting hit the way they are. Herick just needs work but you see glimpses. He is just still a thrower at times and now the books out on him.

I haven’t see Rafe pitch much but my guess is his arm slot is different now compared to his first 2-3 starts. Could be from trying to gain velo or as mentioned fatigue. Arm slot drops and stuff can come out flatter, slower, or he just loses the deception he had.

I like the content we get for baseball now. It's a good change up from the old. As far as what Javi can and can't say I think that's pretty obvious due to his ties to the program and JD. Don't want to burn any relationships.

Is there an opportunity to have opposing writers or outside the program orbit guests come on to discuss what they are seeing?

I thought what you all did during the football season with having opponents beat writers give their perspectives of their teams and strengths/weaknesses, and the opposition view of the Canes, was really cool content.

Just a thought. Thanks for all the Canes content across the athletic programs!

Advertisement
Rafe and Herick both need to skip summer ball and just work on pitch design. Mid 90 lefties should not be getting hit the way they are. Herick just needs work but you see glimpses. He is just still a thrower at times and now the books out on him.

I haven’t see Rafe pitch much but my guess is his arm slot is different now compared to his first 2-3 starts. Could be from trying to gain velo or as mentioned fatigue. Arm slot drops and stuff can come out flatter, slower, or he just loses the deception he had.
We knew they were both projects as starters, it sucks that they'll probably develop nicely next year in MLB. To me, the lack of progress from Hernandez is a bigger concern/reflection on Laz.

Dmoney,

I don't post a lot here. But I read everything. I have been a member for 2017. I personally appreciate the coverage as I am sure everyone else does. Javi is a great resource of baseball knowledge. He didn't say anything I disagree with. It's what he didn't say and maybe he can't say.

It's time for a change and was time for a change from the old guard. JD lost his fire I believe and is jaded from not getting the job before DiMare. I love this program. I watch every game on ESPN+ when I have the opportunity.

Can Javi say that this was the wrong hire based on the buddy system? Should you let the inmates run the asylum? No, he can't say that. But the program needed to separate itself from the Morris coaching tree a long time ago.

Just like Morris coming in 1994 brand new. That's what should have happened here. If you asked Javi without a mic, what he thinks, I am pretty sure he would at least acknowledge this. He's to smart of a guy.

And please keep doing the coverage of the baseball team. I love Canesinsight. I check in almost daily.
This. It’s obvious to anyone that this was an absolutely terrible hire. The few folks with deep pockets who care about baseball wanted this to happen and it’s failed miserably…

We can only hope JD loves Miami as much as richt did and knows he needs to step out of the way

I’m generally not the type to overreact and want to fire coaches when things don’t look great, but in this case it’s warranted. The JD hire was absolutely tragic and this season needs to be his only one. This team is going to lose 30 games.

D - I think if this team was 5-10 games above .500 people would be thrilled with this content. It is awesome that you are bringing it to the baseball board. The problem (and its not really anyones fault) is Javi can't say the truth. Which is, this is the worst baseball season in Miami history and everyone should be fired. And more to the point, none of them should have been hired.

Now that this site has some ties to the Canes NIL and the programs you have to walk a thin line and I think everyone understands that.

It might be worth having someone else on one week that can talk about more than just what's happening on the field. Or like someone else said get an opposing teams writers point of view.

Its been a bad year for Miami Hurricane sports and baseball ending on this bad of note is just getting the brunt of everyones disgust.

Advertisement
Back