Jameis Winston

The thing that makes Jemima such a great QB is that he throws perfect passes with pass rushers right in his face. You almost never see that from QBs. He's an incredibly accurate passer, and he often does it with defenders closing in on him or already on him.

I am hoping that will change when he starts to get hit regularly. We need the big boys Porter, Pierre and Renfrow to get in his face and collapse the pocket so the ends can clean up when he steps out to either side. He is still young and inexperienced and I am hoping we hit him early, hit him often and get inside his head.

I'm with you on that. We're basically in hope mode because nothing we've actually seen with our eyes supports that: a. we will get consistent pressure and hits on Jemima; and b. he will crumble as a result of "a".

Porter, Pierre and Renfrow will have to play the games of their lives because they haven't generated any pressure all year. I'd love to see OP give us a great game because he's been pretty quiet this year. I feel like he was a more disruptive force last year, but that might not be supported by numbers. It might just be a feeling based on not recalling him making many plays in the backfield.

I think our best hope, and again this is all hope, is that Jemima gets too emotional and lets those emotions get the better of him. I've seen him get very riled up from the slightest sht not going his way. If we can string together a couple good defensive plays against him maybe he'll implode with emotions and then start making bad decisions. I think that's our best hope with this guy.

You're right on about our DL. It starts and ends with their ability to put pressure on Winston especially when we drop 7-8 into coverage. I will say, though, that from my somewhat minimal film review of FSU's OL, their OL - albeit big and physical - doesn't seem very quick. If our guys are quick off the ball, I think we can beat them on one on ones. The key will be to contain **** in the pocket.

Advertisement
The thing that makes Jemima such a great QB is that he throws perfect passes with pass rushers right in his face. You almost never see that from QBs. He's an incredibly accurate passer, and he often does it with defenders closing in on him or already on him.

I am hoping that will change when he starts to get hit regularly. We need the big boys Porter, Pierre and Renfrow to get in his face and collapse the pocket so the ends can clean up when he steps out to either side. He is still young and inexperienced and I am hoping we hit him early, hit him often and get inside his head.

I'm with you on that. We're basically in hope mode because nothing we've actually seen with our eyes supports that: a. we will get consistent pressure and hits on Jemima; and b. he will crumble as a result of "a".

Porter, Pierre and Renfrow will have to play the games of their lives because they haven't generated any pressure all year. I'd love to see OP give us a great game because he's been pretty quiet this year. I feel like he was a more disruptive force last year, but that might not be supported by numbers. It might just be a feeling based on not recalling him making many plays in the backfield.

I think our best hope, and again this is all hope, is that Jemima gets too emotional and lets those emotions get the better of him. I've seen him get very riled up from the slightest sht not going his way. If we can string together a couple good defensive plays against him maybe he'll implode with emotions and then start making bad decisions. I think that's our best hope with this guy.

You're right on about our DL. It starts and ends with their ability to put pressure on Winston especially when we drop 7-8 into coverage. I will say, though, that from my somewhat minimal film review of FSU's OL, their OL - albeit big and physical - doesn't seem very quick. If our guys are quick off the ball, I think we can beat them on one on ones. The key will be to contain **** in the pocket.

I've said it repeatedly but again, I think this is the first time in years that can honestly say we should, or are capable of holding our own in the trenches against FSU. They are solid on both lines but not spectacular. But its the best collection of skill position players, especially WRs, that we have had to deal with in a long time.

I've said it repeatedly but again, I think this is the first time in years that can honestly say we should, or are capable of holding our own in the trenches against FSU. They are solid on both lines but not spectacular. But its the best collection of skill position players, especially WRs, that we have had to deal with in a long time.

JHal:

Go back and watch Clemson and BC film. Take note - FSU's guards are big but they are suspect on one on one pass blocking. Something to keep an eye on but I think we can win those interior matchups against Jackson (their RG) and Matias (their LG). Very often you can see them reach for that initial block punch to whiff and be off balance. They are big guys but they do not move well. Also, their LT - Erving - is another big dude who has issues moving his feet. They are a big line but raw and inconsistent in pass pro. I think we can get to Winston. The key, of course, is to contain Winston and prevent those dreaded third and long scrambles for first down. That's my biggest worry. However, BC and Clemson had pretty decent success flushing winston out of the pocket bringing 5 or stunting. You can see in the BC/Clemson replay that FSU gave winston quite a bit of waggles/boots to get him out of the pocket and avoid the rush. I don't think we can get to Winston, however, with that 3 man rush. Obviously, we should mix it up, but consistent 3 man rush lines will kill us.

Advertisement

JHal:

Go back and watch Clemson and BC film. Take note - FSU's guards are big but they are suspect on one on one pass blocking. Something to keep an eye on but I think we can win those interior matchups against Jackson (their RG) and Matias (their LG). Very often you can see them reach for that initial block punch to whiff and be off balance. They are big guys but they do not move well. Also, their LT - Erving - is another big dude who has issues moving his feet. They are a big line but raw and inconsistent in pass pro. I think we can get to Winston. The key, of course, is to contain Winston and prevent those dreaded third and long scrambles for first down. That's my biggest worry. However, BC and Clemson had pretty decent success flushing winston out of the pocket bringing 5 or stunting. You can see in the BC/Clemson replay that FSU gave winston quite a bit of waggles/boots to get him out of the pocket and avoid the rush. I don't think we can get to Winston, however, with that 3 man rush. Obviously, we should mix it up, but consistent 3 man rush lines will kill us.

We are definitely on the same page buddy. If you can run the ball and win the trench battle, you can beat anyone. Winston making clutch decisions under pressure (which he has done pretty much all year) could bury us in the end, but I think we can more than hold our own in the critical areas.

Yep. FWIW, Erving - their starting LT - has issues moving his feet at times. Inconsistent. turns out he just switched to OL last year after being a DL. I know he's a good athlete but guys that make switches that recent are usually inconsistent. Look for our guys to beat him a few times.

Put Fentress in and tell him to take off Winston's head. I know Winston outweighs him by 50 pounds, but I have faith he can do it.

Yep. FWIW, Erving - their starting LT - has issues moving his feet at times. Inconsistent. turns out he just switched to OL last year after being a DL. I know he's a good athlete but guys that make switches that recent are usually inconsistent. Look for our guys to beat him a few times.

Hopefully we see McCord destroy him and force a fumble on a 3rd down.

Really though, we cannot be bringing pressure all game against this guy. He feasts off the blitz. It has to be well-timed and well-executed.

Advertisement

Really though, we cannot be bringing pressure all game against this guy. He feasts off the blitz. It has to be well-timed and well-executed.

Our blitz game has been garbage for a long time, so I'm hoping they've either been saving some incredible and well-disguised blitzes, or we stay away from blitzing much. Charla Nash could see our blitzes coming they're so telegraphed. And when we come and meet resistance it seems like we just give up and play pattycake with the blocker instead of going full bore and at least trying to blow the blocker up.

I think we have discussed this before but another issue is we simply don't have good blitzers on this team. Not counting a guy like McCord but when we bring extra guys, we are at a disadvantage many times. Our two best blitzers last years were Deon Bush and Eddie Johnson IMO, and neither are here now. Some guys just have a knack at finding a seam and exploding, and some have a knack of running right the **** into someone. We aren't as horrible at it as we were last year, but we aren't that good at it either.

Yeah, guys like Cornelius are just not violent enough to be good blitzers. I would love to see us be able to flush Winston out of the pocket, only to have him run right into Bush. I think he will be used on the blitz in this game. I'd like to see a corner blitz or two also.

I think we have discussed this before but another issue is we simply don't have good blitzers on this team. Not counting a guy like McCord but when we bring extra guys, we are at a disadvantage many times. Our two best blitzers last years were Deon Bush and Eddie Johnson IMO, and neither are here now. Some guys just have a knack at finding a seam and exploding, and some have a knack of running right the **** into someone. We aren't as horrible at it as we were last year, but we aren't that good at it either.

That's a great point on Bush. And lest we forget, a couple games ago, Bush had a great blitz and drilled the QB. After the game, D'Onofrio mentioned that Bush isn't cutting well, but that he can run in a straight line very fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bush put his hat in Jemima's back at some point on Saturday and release some frustration.

Advertisement

That's a great point on Bush. And lest we forget, a couple games ago, Bush had a great blitz and drilled the QB. After the game, D'Onofrio mentioned that Bush isn't cutting well, but that he can run in a straight line very fast. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bush put his hat in Jemima's back at some point on Saturday and release some frustration.

Yeah man it's why I was so disappointed to see him this year. Last year he was a bit undersized still but you could tell immediately he had that freakish ability to torque his body in tight spaces. Combining that with his speed and kamikaze attitude, it was the makings of a terrifying blitz threat. Cornelius, Rodgers, Highsmith etc just don't have that....whatever you call it.....that plus athletes like Deon can do.

And just to further the point a bit, some guys, regardless of size/speed just seem to have that knack to get to the QB. You look at a kid like our DE/LB recruit, Mike Smith. He's undersized and looks like he would get manhandled, but the kid just finds a way. We have some athletes sprinkled in there, but noone has really stepped up with that nose for the QB.

Prince-boll, Well I can point you back to the Canes FlashForward for you to review them yourself if you like but one of the INTs was against UF was a 5 man rush (T.Howard) and the strip fumble came at the end and was a great play. In the UNC game with the 2nd INT to Howard we rushed 5 with one LB delay off the edge. I can go back to the others but you get the point. I never said that we can't get to the QB with a four man rush. I said we can't have sustained pressure rushing only 4. We have to mix it up by bringing extra bodies at different times. Didn't think I needed to spell this out if you have watched any of FSU games but I guess I will anyhow. Rushing 4 guys opens up lanes especially when we get good penetration. Winston is notorious for taking those lanes and using them to his advantage. He isn't afraid to run and he runs well when he choose to do so. (i.e. Clemson and NCST games) We only send four, he has lots more options to run. Send 5, shorten the gaps he has to choose from and perhaps we force some ill advised decisions. Also in no way am I saying we blitz 5 or more every single play. I am saying we have to mix up and mask coverages and blitz to keep him guessing on where the pressure is coming from. Is that a lil more clear for ya? Sorry should have just stated that from jump.

I'm more worried that I can not really figure out what you are trying to say. What is up with the formatting and grammatical errors?!? I think I had an idea of what you are trying to say and If I am correct I think your logic is somewhat flawed in using the preconceived notion that we can get sustained pressure only rushing our front four. From which game this year are you using as a reference for this leap of faith. We will have to bring more than 4 people to rattle Winston, Period.
False. We can not bring more than 4 people, because as Jameis has shown week in & week out, he will pick apart any defense that sends blitzes. I believe Tyriq McCord, Shayon Green, and Chick would challenge that they can't bring pressure... Last time I checked, Tyriq sealed the game on a sack/ fumble against Florida. And you mustn't be paying any attention to our defense, because the majority of our turnovers have come while rushing four. In fact against Florida, both INT'S and the sack fumble came against a 4 man or 3 man
rush. Also, against UNC, against Bryn Renner (arguably the only passer who can throw the ball almost as well as Jameis in the ACC) both of his INT's came against a 4 man rush, with the exception of Jimmy Gaines coming in on a delayed blitz because the RB who he was in man coverage against stayed in as a pass protector. So actually, the odds of us losing become MUCH higher when we send pressure. You can't expect our young, banged up corners/ safeties to play outstanding man coverage all game against an experienced receiving core, who just so happens to have one the best QB's under pressure throwing to them.

Advertisement

I cannot recall many (if any) well-timed, well-executed (disguised) blitzes under Coach D or Shannon for that matter. Not happening. You can see the blitz coming as soon as the opposing QB starts his cadence.

I cant agree with you on FSU "not getting the bounces" They completed a Hail Mary for a touchdown in that game. That is the ULTIMATE bounce in a football game. A Hail Mary pass is the lowest percentage play in football. So if you complete one of those you're getting the bounces...Its a much lower percentage play than even an onside kick.

You recall the play incorrectly, wasnt a hail Mary imo. He shook off tacklers, directed his wr in single coverage to go deep and threw the ball to him over the db covering him.

Thats not a fortunate bounce at all, they made that happen.

I saw the play. It was a lucky throw and catch. It put me in the mind of the Eli Manning play in the Super Bowl when he escaped a few dudes then throw far as he could. It's not a normal thing to end a half or a game with a 40+ yard td throw and catch, sorry. That was an improbable play.

I agree it's not normal, but luck doesnt shake two defenders off u, luck doesnt point to the wr u wish to throw to, luck doesnt get the accurate pass off with a third defender in your face about to smash u to the ground and luck didnt make a play on the ball over the db to catch a TD.

Those are conscious actions each player worked hard to make happen.

[video=youtube;f75oTotRbIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75oTotRbIc[/video]

There was not a group of wrs and dbs sitting in the endzone wating for a jump ball situation hoping to come down with ball.....thats a hail mary. This was a wr in single coverage going deep and making the play over the db for the td.

Luck is when a pass deflects off a LBer right into the hands of the wr, luck is when u fumble the ball and it rolls out of bounds or into your teamates path before a defender can get to it.

You're right, JW is the greatest. His receivers are the greatest. All skill no luck. I will be sure to watch as every time 2 guys go to make a tackle for the rest of his career, he shakes them both off and throws a TD...His SKILL should allow him to do this every time he gets hit in the pocket...oh the LULZ

I cant agree with you on FSU "not getting the bounces" They completed a Hail Mary for a touchdown in that game. That is the ULTIMATE bounce in a football game. A Hail Mary pass is the lowest percentage play in football. So if you complete one of those you're getting the bounces...Its a much lower percentage play than even an onside kick.

You recall the play incorrectly, wasnt a hail Mary imo. He shook off tacklers, directed his wr in single coverage to go deep and threw the ball to him over the db covering him.

Thats not a fortunate bounce at all, they made that happen.

I saw the play. It was a lucky throw and catch. It put me in the mind of the Eli Manning play in the Super Bowl when he escaped a few dudes then throw far as he could. It's not a normal thing to end a half or a game with a 40+ yard td throw and catch, sorry. That was an improbable play.

I agree it's not normal, but luck doesnt shake two defenders off u, luck doesnt point to the wr u wish to throw to, luck doesnt get the accurate pass off with a third defender in your face about to smash u to the ground and luck didnt make a play on the ball over the db to catch a TD.

Those are conscious actions each player worked hard to make happen.

[video=youtube;f75oTotRbIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75oTotRbIc[/video]

There was not a group of wrs and dbs sitting in the endzone wating for a jump ball situation hoping to come down with ball.....thats a hail mary. This was a wr in single coverage going deep and making the play over the db for the td.

Luck is when a pass deflects off a LBer right into the hands of the wr, luck is when u fumble the ball and it rolls out of bounds or into your teamates path before a defender can get to it.

You're right, JW is the greatest. His receivers are the greatest. All skill no luck. I will be sure to watch as every time 2 guys go to make a tackle for the rest of his career, he shakes them both off and throws a TD...His SKILL should allow him to do this every time he gets hit in the pocket...oh the LULZ

Lol..

Winston's due for a bad game just like Morris is due for a game of his season... Hopefully both these days meet this Saturday

Advertisement
Back