How important is Coaching?

UknowWhat

Senior
Who does more work developing athletes College or High School Coach?

Who does more teaching of X and O's College or High School Coach?

If I coached the Hurricanes against FAMU this year do the Canes win or lose?

How many believes that Duke Johnson was the best athlete on his PeeWee Team?

Who believes that the best coaching is the most evident on NSD?

Let me know your opinions.

Advertisement
Who does more work developing athletes College or High School Coach?

Who does more teaching of X and O's College or High School Coach?

If I coached the Hurricanes against FAMU this year do the Canes win or lose?

How many believes that Duke Johnson was the best athlete on his PeeWee Team?

Who believes that the best coaching is the most evident on NSD?

Let me know your opinions.

1. College coaches SHOULD be the answer to this, but there are some REALLY good HS coaches out there and some REALLY bad college coaches out there.

2. IMO, HS coaches should be teaching more X's and O's so the kids know it when they come to college.

3. Our talent level >>>>>>>> FAMU's. We win that game with U coaching.

4. Duke Johnson is the best athlete on his college team, so yeah, he blew kids doors off in PeeWee.

5. The best salesmen are the most evident on NSD, not the best coaching. Granted, sometimes that coach is both (Saban)

Another take: If you watched any of the recent docs on HOF'ers Michael Irvin, Sean Taylor, Frank Gore, and Ed Reed they put in the work over and above anything the pro and college coaches prescribed.

They had rare talent, like your son, but they put in the extra work. Film room rats... extra drills... staying late, calling coaches in the middle of the night, personally accountable for their own success.

I don't really believe that the coaching at 1 level, helps at the next level.
The talent is more concentrated the higher you go.
A HS coach can't re-enact the College "speed of the game", in HS.

Something that is never mentioned enough in the recruiting process is a stat that shows D1 college head coaches tend to have an average tenure of 5.2 years. That means that any coach who is in his 2nd year in a program will likely not be there when a kid who is committing now graduates from college. This is why I think a lot of kids should choose program strength and other non-football related aspects of a university when making a choice.

For example, does anyone here think that Nick saban or Les Miles will still be coaches at Bama and LSU respectively in 2019? The odds say no, but I wonder how many 2015 recruits have thought about that.

Advertisement
Something that is never mentioned enough in the recruiting process is a stat that shows D1 college head coaches tend to have an average tenure of 5.2 years. That means that any coach who is in his 2nd year in a program will likely not be there when a kid who is committing now graduates from college. This is why I think a lot of kids should choose program strength and other non-football related aspects of a university when making a choice.

For example, does anyone here think that Nick saban or Les Miles will still be coaches at Bama and LSU respectively in 2019? The odds say no, but I wonder how many 2015 recruits have thought about that.

The difference is LSU and Bama will go all out on the next coach

Another take: If you watched any of the recent docs on HOF'ers Michael Irvin, Sean Taylor, Frank Gore, and Ed Reed they put in the work over and above anything the pro and college coaches prescribed.

They had rare talent, like your son, but they put in the extra work. Film room rats... extra drills... staying late, calling coaches in the middle of the night, personally accountable for their own success.

Exactly. Who is responsible for your personal development?

Ray Lewis said it himself "I'm ****ed off for greatness"

it seems like nowadays you see these 4* 5* kids coming in with a sense of entitlement, not putting in the extra work. where as you see some kids who weren't highly touted but put in the extra work to get the most out of their god given talent. I feel like a coach can help greatly in developing your skillset, but an individual has a responsibility to himself to get the most out of himself

Coaching is, like most things, relative to the situation. The better athlete, will beat the lesser one most often straight up. The better 11, will beat the lesser 11 straight up most of the time. All things being equal, better coaching will be "a" deciding factor. The best coaches maximize all levels of a PROGRAM. Ultimately, a great head coach surrounds himself with great coaches. They are great recruiters, game managers and evaulators of talent. Coaching is a broad term in this arena. Honestly, I think a great program is more important. The kids, standards of admissions, support and ultimately culture will determine success. Coaches and kids with varying levels of talent will come and go.

Advertisement
Coaching is, like most things, relative to the situation. The better athlete, will beat the lesser one most often straight up. The better 11, will beat the lesser 11 straight up most of the time. All things being equal, better coaching will be "a" deciding factor. The best coaches maximize all levels of a PROGRAM. Ultimately, a great head coach surrounds himself with great coaches. They are great recruiters, game managers and evaulators of talent. Coaching is a broad term in this arena. Honestly, I think a great program is more important. The kids, standards of admissions, support and ultimately culture will determine success. Coaches and kids with varying levels of talent will come and go.

Good post.

I don't really believe that the coaching at 1 level, helps at the next level.
The talent is more concentrated the higher you go.
A HS coach can't re-enact the College "speed of the game", in HS.

I don't know about all that.

Players who are coached well in high school are usually ready to contribute earlier when they get to college. (unless something is holding them back, such as weight)

Advertisement
Back