Head Coach Candidates

CanesFan20

Redshirt Freshman
It might not happen this season but within the next year or two Coach L will be stepping down and retiring. He is currently 75 years old and this team very likely needs to embark on a rebuild and he's just to old to do it. What are some coaches you guys are interested in replacing him? With NIL and our location we should be a Top 20 basketball program, this job should be very attractive for premier coaches around the country.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Dusty May will very likely be the next HC at Indiana, his alma mater
Will Wade would be like hiring Huge Freeze. Will never happen at Miami.

Realistic candidates/targets:

Anthony Grant - Dayton (Miami native, former UF assistant)
Tony Skinn - George Mason (Played for Larranaga)
Kim English - Providence
Niko Medved - Colorado St.
Amir Abdur-Rahim - USF
Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon
Richard Pitino - New Mexico
Matt Langel - Colgate
Josh Schertz - Indiana St. (FAU grad, started coaching career at Lynn)

Fold the program if it's Bill Courtney

Last edited:
Dusty May will very likely be the next HC at Indiana, his alma mater
Will Wade would be like hiring Huge Freeze. Will never happen at Miami.

Realistic candidates/targets:

Anthony Grant - Dayton (Miami native, former UF assistant)
Tony Skinn - George Mason (Played for Larranaga)
Kim English - Providence
Niko Medved - Colorado St.
Amir Abdur-Rahim - USF
Bryce Drew - Grand Canyon
Richard Pitino - New Mexico
Matt Langel - Colgate
Josh Schertz - Indiana St. (FAU grad, started coaching career at Lynn)

Fold the program if it's Bill Courtney
Chris Quinn would be interesting, he's Erik Spostra right hand man. Caron Butler as well.

Chris Quinn would be interesting, he's Erik Spostra right hand man. Caron Butler as well.
Uh, please tell me of the last NBA assistant that thrived in college. Juwan Howard is currently torpedoing his alma mater and Mike Woodson is likely done at IU after this year

Advertisement
Uh, please tell me of the last NBA assistant that thrived in college. Juwan Howard is currently torpedoing his alma mater and Mike Woodson is likely done at IU after this year
John Calapari was the 76ers assistant coach when he got hired by Memphis.

John Calapari was the 76ers assistant coach when he got hired by Memphis.
Not a good example. Cal had taken UMass to the Final Four and had been a college assistant for many years prior to that. Quinn was Director of Player Development for one year at Northwestern before being hired by the Heat and Caron had never coached before starting with Miami.

Not a good example. Cal had taken UMass to the Final Four and had been a college assistant for many years prior to that. Quinn was Director of Player Development for one year at Northwestern before being hired by the Heat and Caron had never coached before starting with Miami.
Mike Woodson is another one. Indiana didn't make a March Madness appearance for 5 years and he led them to two in his first two years. I have no clue if he would be interested but Shaka Smart would be one of the top candidates on my board.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Shaka Smart is from Wisconsin and has a great thing going at Marquette so doubt he would leave. Agree on Sean Miller probably winding up at OSU.

Advertisement
Going to be interesting to see what Rad does if/when it happens. One thing that frustrated Clemson fans was his fierce loyalty to sitting coaches (like Brad Brownell) and the way he ran the baseball search doesn't inspire a ton of confidence
Yeah the baseball search was a disaster but basketball is a lot more popular than baseball with the fans and media so hopefully he does a thorough search. I think it would attract a lot of quality options with our NIL and location.

Advertisement
Back