Tears Gator Tears

Advertisement
Isn’t it illegal for coaches to play any part in NIL discussions? I remember these fools bashing us asking the NCAA to investigate our coaches talking to prospects about NIL.
Yes it is but a federal judge in TN issued an injunction prohibiting the NCAA from punishing schools for NIL violations so NCAA is at a standstill. I am unsure the context of the TN lawsuit but perhaps it is when TN was handing out the bags of cash and didnt want to get in trouble so a local judge ruled NCAA could not do ****.

Guys, we are looking at this wrong. Mcelwain got fired for cause for citing threats. The rashadas have just handed UF a gift. This lawsuit will give them the ability to fire him for cause and nullify his unmanageable buyout. And being tied up in legal o proceedings over this case will not give napier a lot of time to sue over his firing

Advertisement

National Football League Lol GIF by NFL

They have to settle. You can't allow depositions to go forward here, although I have doubts as to how much paper discovery would even be available.

Think about this.

Most of this stuff was communicated via cell phones and e-mails. And I'm sure the Rashadas have copies of whatever they signed.

Even if Hathnocock tries to play dumb, they can figure out Slingblade's communications easily. Same way they nailed F$U (driving Amarius Mims to a collective meeting) and same way they nailed Miami (Katie Meier gives the Cavinder twins John Ruiz's phone number).

The "extra" that comes with THIS case is that Rashada was already under contract with the UM Collective and/or John Ruiz. So all the "tortious interference" stuff is real and legitimate as a legal threat, regardless of whether the judge "likes" or "dislikes" the new NIL world.

Bottom line, Rashada had a contract, and the communications should (and likely will) show that Florida intentionally tried to flip Rashada from his verbal commitment (easy enough to break that) AND his written NIL contract (harder to break that one).

Turn on the stove, it's time to pop the popcorn...

Yeah they would want to settle far before depositions. But IDK with Hugh, he may be a stubborn "lets take him to Court" kind of guy and try to clear his name. But i could see Billy trying to bow out early because I am unsure (without seeing the contract and reading the entire complaint) why he would personally be on the hook. Does not appear he was promising the cash, he was acting as a middle man saying others would promise the cash.

For now, I'm only going to comment on this first part, about Slingblade Billy, since I kinda-sorta mentioned this angle in my last post.

Slingblade is not "on the hook personally" for the cash payment. He was not offering the money himself, he is not liable for the payment of the contract himself.

Where Slingblade would be involved in the litigation would be in the "tortious interference with a contract" side of it, since Rashada already had a signed contract with Miami. And as Slingblade Billy facilitated the deal and emphasized his "power" as the "head coach", he becomes one of SEVERAL individuals who spoke to the Rashadas in an effort to get them to break the contract with the Miami Collective.

Tortious interference. For which there could be other monetary damages separate from the underlying (breached) NIL agreement with the UM Collective.

Advertisement
Think about this.

Most of this stuff was communicated via cell phones and e-mails. And I'm sure the Rashadas have copies of whatever they signed.

Even if Hathnocock tries to play dumb, they can figure out Slingblade's communications easily. Same way they nailed F$U (driving Amarius Mims to a collective meeting) and same way they nailed Miami (Katie Meier gives the Cavinder twins John Ruiz's phone number).

The "extra" that comes with THIS case is that Rashada was already under contract with the UM Collective and/or John Ruiz. So all the "tortious interference" stuff is real and legitimate as a legal threat, regardless of whether the judge "likes" or "dislikes" the new NIL world.

Bottom line, Rashada had a contract, and the communications should (and likely will) show that Florida intentionally tried to flip Rashada from his verbal commitment (easy enough to break that) AND his written NIL contract (harder to break that one).

The settlement may be larger than I thought.

I haven't been able to read into it this morning. They are obviously seeking punitives for fraud, correct?
Assuming they sued under all Florida Law I believe they would need to seek leave to amend and assert punitives after a good faith proffer of evidence in the record. I have not read the complaint yet though.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Think about this.

I bought a ton of popcorn, but you have seen now that Ruiz has denied having a deal for that amount of money which I think is more likely that the first deal and money exchanged was for him being a California high school athlete, which I believe at the time was already allowed to get money, and that the second larger deal never was actually signed so therefore there was no “deal”

And in terms of documentation, I am quite positive His family has all the receipts they need on text at minimum

Advertisement
Back