Official Fall PractiSe #18 Thurday August 25

U can't have nuance with man.

" but we don't have a top l10 roster"
U right , we don't have top 10 roster. Does the teams finish in order of how their roster is ranked?
4 teams won double digits games in the power 5 last season without a top 10 roster. Mich(#15), Mich St(#37), Ole Miss(#27) and our very own conference champ Pitt Panthers(#36) . Actually it's 5, Utah(#32) as well. Every single one of them was behind Miami in the talent composite going into last season. Most of them by a good margin. So u see folks playing above their talent composite is only a thing for other schools, not Miami.

Ole Miss did it from the toughest division in football, where 4 teams had significantly better rosters.

But see, my logic is not acceptable. According to 247 we have #13 roster. ESPN FPI ranked us #9. The key position on offense, QB, possibly and likely elite, DL possibly and likely elite. And then we have alot of experience on both sides of the ball. Which means you can match wits with a more talented team that have their own weaknesses at either of those positions, Clemson, Texas A&M etc.

And then u factor the schedule and the new staff, which is where my enthusiasm comes from.

LSU had 10 players drafted this past cycle, 2nd only to UGA who had 15. What was LSU record, was Ole Miss more talented than them? Was UCLA?
miniGif_20200422172516.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
So ***** Diaz can beat NcSt and Pitt last year yet we shouldn’t win the Coastal this year handedly? This isn’t a Bama UGA Oh St roster but this team is plenty enough talented to get to Charlotte. That would be an extreme disappointment in my eyes. That’s the goal this year and is a very attainable goal. WIN THE COASTAL. This staff should be able to get us there.

Agreed. We have to win the coastal. 9 wins should do that. We are in line with that type of season and talent unless we get nailed with injuries. We don’t haven’t the depth to sustain that

Do you think Mario believes this?
If he doesn't, he needs to have a heart to heart with Nick Saban who totally changed his coaching style to adapt to the current way you play football.

Don't get me wrong, you can't be average on the LOS and win, you still need to be good there. Oregon is going to be very good at LOS this year, but they aren't winning anything of significance as you need QB and WR now to be NC worthy.

If this team stays healthy, it shouldn’t do worse then 10-2, 9-3 is probably realistic given the history of this team.

Unless Pitt goes undefeated or has 1 loss in ACC play, and manages to beat Miami it’s pretty inexcusable that Miami doesn’t win the coastal

Advertisement
So realistically how many classes we talkin?

OSU, Bama, Georgia's entire rosters are built up of elite players from elite classes. No fillers, transition years, no 20th+ garbage...Players from 5/6 classes that were at the level or higher than our best.

Even with three elite classes we're in their realm but still behind.

If he doesn't, he needs to have a heart to heart with Nick Saban who totally changed his coaching style to adapt to the current way you play football.

Don't get me wrong, you can't be average on the LOS and win, you still need to be good there. Oregon is going to be very good at LOS this year, but they aren't winning anything of significance as you need QB and WR now to be NC worthy.

I think you’re right about the wide receivers being an important component, especially when considering Alabama is an example. But my question was do YOU think that Mario realizes this?

Ok I agree with Mario, we dont have a top 10 talent based team.

However this team should NOT lose to ANY ACC team minus Clemson.

This is how I will judge Mario's first season at Miami. If he starts losing to the Florida St's, North Carolina's and Duke's of the world we are going to have a problem.

Advertisement
Agreed. Definitely not there yet.

I just want to see a physical U team this year that doesn’t get pushed around especially upfront. I literally hate it when we can’t convert short yardage downs on the ground and resort to finesse, trick play ****.

Physicality and tackling. That’s what I’m watching this season.
And let’s just play smarter —i.e., fewer penalties…

OSU, Bama, Georgia's entire rosters are built up of elite players from elite classes. No fillers, transition years, no 20th+ garbage...Players from 5/6 classes that were at the level or higher than our best.

Even with three elite classes we're in their realm but still behind.
3 elite classes are almost an entire roster. So why would we still be behind?

3 elite classes are almost an entire roster. So why would we still be
Because there are teams that have the entire roster filled out with those kids. Like I said it puts you in the realm of those teams but even with three you’re slightly behind. So anything less than three elite classes you shouldn’t expect to be up there with those programs.

Advertisement
I believe Mario has learned a lot on his coaching journey back to the U. He knows the formula and knows he still needs more ingredients for that nuclear capability we are all looking forward to.

You should inform the NFL they are doing it wrong then!!

NFL's highest paid players by position (average annual salary):​

The game has changed, and contrary to your and @DMoney opinion, you need big time WR's to win a NC now. It's not 2011 anymore.

It's why Nick Saban went and grabbed a 4.2 Forty WR from LVille, and took UGA's #1 WR. If he is going to beat Ohio State and that QB and set of WR's for the NC.. he needs to keep up on the scoreboard. His defense won't keep them under 35-40 regardless how many war daddies he has at DL.

In 2020 Georgia had the same defensive personnel as this past year including Jermaine Johnson and Tyrique Stevenson.

Mac Jones threw for 417 yards, Alabama had over 500 yards of offense and scored 41 points.

Smith and Waddle combined for 17 catches for over 300 yards and 3 TD's.

You can take this to the bank, Miami will
Get better in the trenches under Mario, but will not win a NC until we have a big time WR like 1st round type talent.

How did Bama look w/o their #1 & #2 WRs in the Nat’l Championship Game?

I believe Mario has learned a lot on his coaching journey back to the U. He knows the formula and knows he still needs more ingredients for that nuclear capability we are all looking forward to.
The first and most important component is a VERY strong D..................... Georgia proved this.
A good QB is the other, as most of the OL and the keys on the O......... step up to put up points.......
The key though is the dominant D....
We are getting there.....
Coach S is rewriting the book, and the attitude of our D, and they have bought in.....totally....
We are on our way..........Mario yes I agree knows what it looks like....

You should inform the NFL they are doing it wrong then!!

NFL's highest paid players by position (average annual salary):​

E

The game has changed, and contrary to your and @DMoney opinion, you need big time WR's to win a NC now. It's not 2011 anymore.

It's why Nick Saban went and grabbed a 4.2 Forty WR from LVille, and took UGA's #1 WR. If he is going to beat Ohio State and that QB and set of WR's for the NC.. he needs to keep up on the scoreboard. His defense won't keep them under 35-40 regardless how many war daddies he has at DL.

In 2020 Georgia had the same defensive personnel as this past year including Jermaine Johnson and Tyrique Stevenson.

Mac Jones threw for 417 yards, Alabama had over 500 yards of offense and scored 41 points.

Smith and Waddle combined for 17 catches for over 300 yards and 3 TD's.

You can take this to the bank, Miami will
Get better in the trenches under Mario, but will not win a NC until we have a big time WR like 1st round type talent.
Mario will recruit the WR position better at Miami. The difficulty might be elite HS WRs see the 1st round picks coming out of Alabama and Ohio State, not Miami. These kids don’t care about all great WRs Miami had back in the day. We need to get that first one, maybe the California kid, maybe one of the locals, develop him, and start building that reputation.

A reputation similar to Miami being TE U.

Advertisement
Back