Defense Depth Chart Predictions on 9/1

Good discussion folks. I would provide my input, but I don't have a clue how to fix what I have seen on the field the last two years. All I will say is if we bottom feed the ACC defensively again, I don't see how a change cannot be made.

Advertisement
My head is going to explode if i see another person say this roster is built for a 4-3. This **** aint madden people, you cant just assume that because somebody plays DT, that they can play DT in any front. McCord, Thomas, and AQM have shown very little in stopping the run which they would need to do. If you put Chick in at DE you lose the ability to rush the passer and hes to light to put inside consistently. Pierre Could play DT in a 4-3 but Wyche and Heurtelou dont appear to be the type of players who can play in that kind of a 4-3 either. Linebackers are a bit more flexible so im sure you can make that work.

You guys may not like the defense, but this roster is about as far away from a traditional 4-3 as you can get.

Exactly this isn't madden, so why are we running a 34 when our players don't fit the scheme, and one of the most important parts of it( the NT) we've never had! Chad Thomas, AQM, McCord are all 43 DE's. They aren't 34 OLB's (only McCord can be). Chick can play DE in a 43 or 34, as can Kamalu, but they are just more of run stoppers. You say AQM isn't ready to play run Defense, (which is bull btw) but do you think he is more ready to play pass D? because that's what he would have to do in the 34. It's not like Donofrio is coming up with anything creative and actually blitzing. He gives the offense yards, because he believes in the bend, don't break mentality (stupid).

Your taking 3-4 and 4-3 at face value. Its not as simple as you run a 3-4 so the LBs have to drop into coverage. The 4-3 under is a defense that lines up like a 4-3 but uses 3-4 principles. In this scheme you need a nose (Wyche), a 3tech DT who is quick and can beat one on one blocks (Pierre), a strong side end to hold the point of attack (Chick), and a pass rusher at weak DE. I mean there is a write up on our defense that explains all this? A quick google search on 4-3 under would explain all of this.

Its not about the principles, it's about where the person is lining up. I'd be happy with the 43 under, in fact im pretty sure that's the Jimmy Johnson defense if im correct. But running the 34, AQM and McCord would be playing OLB, maybe even Thomas (although he might be too big soon enough). Then Chick and Kamalu are 34 DE's. and Obviously Wyche is the NT. Thats the problem. I'd be happy with the 43 under. because Chick and Kamalu would be playing that SDE. and the Pass rushing DE would be AQM, Thomas, McCord. The NT is still Wyche, and the DT would be Pierre and Moten. That is exactly what I'd hope to happen. **** you put McCord at that SOLB and have him pass rush next to Chick and I think it's good. I don't think we fit with the 34. 43 under is stiff different than a 34.

4-3 under isnt really different from a 3-4 tho. You stand up that WDE and you have a 3-4 defense, thats why i alluded to the principles. What you ask the players to do is what determines the defense, not where they stand before the play starts. i wouldnt even call Wyche a DT, hes a Nose tackle, command those double teams. Pierre can be that 3 tech who is quicker and can beat one on ones. Chick isnt a great pass rusher but hes okay, SDE who has a OLB outside of him so he doesnt need to be a primary pass rusher. Then you got the WDE (who like i said is just a OLB with his hand in the ground) and his sole job is to rush the passer and not let anything get outside. Thats why McCord, AQM, and thomas will be occupying the same spot on the depth chart.

Im not trying to speak to the effectivness of the defense, just that the players who are there now are good scheme fits. This defense could transition to a 3-4 so much faster then it could if you tried to switch to regular 4-3. Guys like Wyche and Chick straight up wouldnt have a spot in that D

FINAL DRAFT

DE Chickillo - Kamalu - Thomas
NT Moore - Heurtelou - Wyche - Jenkins - Brown
DE Pierre - Hamilton - Moten - King

LB McCord - AQM - Harris
LB Perryman - Young - Smith
LB Kirby - Grace - McCray
LB Armbrister - Owens - Jackson

CB Gunter - Burns - Lewis - Mayes
SS Bush - Carter - Fentress - Gayot
FS Jenkins - Crawford - Hester
CB Howard - Elder - Crawford

Advertisement
Clubber's prediction?

[video=youtube;lSPNQ82Sq4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E[/video]

UPDATED

DE Chickillo - Kamalu - Thomas

NT Wyche - Moore - King - Jenkins

DE Pierre - Heurtelou - Moten - Hamilton

LB McCord - AQM - Harris - Jackson

LB Perryman - Young - Smith

LB Kirby - Grace - McCray

LB Armbrister - Owens

CB Gunter - Burns - Lewis - Mayes

SS Bush - Dallas - Fentress - Gayot

FS Jenkins - Carter - Hester

CB Howard - Elder - Crawford

Advertisement
I think Dallas is going to be on the field all the time. Safety, LB and blitzer. He will be our honey badger. At least thats what I'm hoping.

My head is going to explode if i see another person say this roster is built for a 4-3. This **** aint madden people, you cant just assume that because somebody plays DT, that they can play DT in any front. McCord, Thomas, and AQM have shown very little in stopping the run which they would need to do. If you put Chick in at DE you lose the ability to rush the passer and hes to light to put inside consistently. Pierre Could play DT in a 4-3 but Wyche and Heurtelou dont appear to be the type of players who can play in that kind of a 4-3 either. Linebackers are a bit more flexible so im sure you can make that work.

You guys may not like the defense, but this roster is about as far away from a traditional 4-3 as you can get.

Yeah the problem now is Golden is actively seeking out the body types for the 3-4 so it is going nowhere. Moten is a 3-4 DE and Jenkins is a 3-4 NT after some development and another 15 pounds. Neither of these guys are 4-3 3 tech types. They brought in some hybrid pass rushers who will be 3-4 OLBS....DJ and Owens scream 3-4 OLB once they fill out and same is true for Mike Smith once he hits 240. Thomas was probably initially projected as an OLB but I fear he may grow into a 3-4 DE. Young is already thick and is more of the 2 down thumper type so yeah he screams 3-4 SILB. He will likely be in the mid 240s next year.

It is quite hard to just go back to the 4-3 after you have started really getting 3-4 specific body types in the system.

I agree with Wildcat that it would be dumb to have Thomas at 3-4 end since he is a pass rusher but the issue is his frame is just starting to add more naturally to fill him out. Reports are that he is already 260. That's just about the limit for a 3-4 OLB and with his frame he will almost certainly add another 15 or 20 over 3 years time just in filling out in college.....well if you do the math that puts him right in Chick territory weight wise.

The 3-4 is here to stay folks

until F-A-G is fired and the next staff isnt retarded

Advertisement
I'd like to see Dallas Crawford start over Bush. Don't understand the love for #2. He hasn't done much here.
Last season was kind of a throw away year for Bush. He never really fully recovered from the hernia. Let's see how he responds this year (assuming he is fully healthy) before we write him off as a bust.

I'd like to see Dallas Crawford start over Bush. Don't understand the love for #2. He hasn't done much here.
Last season was kind of a throw away year for Bush. He never really fully recovered from the hernia. Let's see how he responds this year (assuming he is fully healthy) before we write him off as a bust.

Bush played very well as a freshman. Believe he was a freshman all-American. He battled injuries and his father became very ill last season. Not gonna get into detail but we have had many guys in the past who have had sophomore slumps and bounce back. Think Deon will be fine as long as he's healthy.

Advertisement

I never called him a bust. Just don't know why everyone has him slotted as a starter.

Yet you want to see a kid who was moved to RB because he had no shot at playing over Deon Bush start over Deon Bush?

Yes. I think Crawford brings everything that Bush does to the position, probably a little bit more in terms of intanglibles.

Advertisement
Back