Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
People may not like this but rod Wright Is a more than capable DC UTSA led C-USA in sacks (25), tackles for loss (85), interceptions (11), takeaways (19) and turnover margin (+7). In fact, the Roadrunners ranked in the top 30 nationally in five categories — 19th in turnovers gained, 23rd in passes intercepted, 25th in fumbles recovered (8), 26th in turnover margin and 29th in tackles for loss per game (7.1).

Advertisement
So a young, up and coming NFL position coach, who was up for NFL DC jobs, and has worked in college for nearly a decade would be a bad DC hire? Only our fans.
I don't know a ton about him but he sounds very similar to Dorsey last year just on the defensive side

Agreed, he’s on a huge upward trajectory

Very similar path to Mike Macdonald. Of course I want us to go poach someone who has put together 5 straight top 20 scoring Defenses but let’s be real, this job clearly isn’t as attractive as most of us think. I’m intrigued…a young fast rising wiz kid who has cut his teeth in both college and the NFL and also can help us in NJ, can do a lot worse IMO.

70E10D32-8897-40AF-9F7D-2430F191B98D.jpeg

Advertisement
Very similar path to Mike Macdonald. Of course I want us to go poach someone who has put together 5 straight top 20 scoring Defenses but let’s be real, this job clearly isn’t as attractive as most of us think. I’m intrigued…a young fast rising wiz kid who has cut his teeth in both college and the NFL and also can help us in NJ, can do a lot worse IMO.

View attachment 228476
That should be the formula on both sides of the ball tbh. Young, up and comers with something to prove man. This program needs an edge and innovation. We can’t expect to just throw money at old dudes who were successful a decade ago no matter how well respected they may be.

People may not like this but rod Wright Is a more than capable DC UTSA led C-USA in sacks (25), tackles for loss (85), interceptions (11), takeaways (19) and turnover margin (+7). In fact, the Roadrunners ranked in the top 30 nationally in five categories — 19th in turnovers gained, 23rd in passes intercepted, 25th in fumbles recovered (8), 26th in turnover margin and 29th in tackles for loss per game (7.1).

Thats different because Mark Richt scheme was outdated and was the issue. He knew how to call plays. I have no issue with Charles Skrong's scheme or his playcalling
Fair enough. Just given our budget, I see it as an unnecessary roll of the dice giving the keys to someone who hasn't fully commanded a defense in more than a decade. Your scheme and play calling is never outdated until it is.

I’d take Campinile over Strong at DC 24/7/365 and 366 in a leap year. There’s upside there at least while we KNOW what Strong is and that is a guy whose best days as a DC are well behind him.
No disrespect but how do you know he will be a good DC, he was a good linebackers coach we'll see when call some plays

Advertisement
THAT'S the best we can do???....Wow....
I work with the public almost everyday and run into people from all walks of life.
I spoke to a local high school coach. He’s not from a big school or a powerhouse.
Coaches love Mario. This bs narrative that is being spun by the media and dudes in here is according to him “bullsht”. People would love to work for him.

The problem is Miami itself.
Now this is according to him and it’s not me saying it.
A lot of wives don’t want to live here and have their kids live here.
Unfortunately it’s a stigma that still exists for this city.
It’s also a huge culture shock. I wasn’t gonna post this Until the campineli name came up cause now it makes sense to go after someone who’s already here instead of trying to convince a small town wife to move down here.

Also, he said the “culture” stigma is now affecting the coaching hire as well.
A lot of coaches have heard too many bad things from former coaches and former players.
He said coaches don’t want to put their reputation on the line for players who are gonna be too distracted to put in the work or just plain don’t want to put in the work.
This also makes sense given how Mario appears to be recruiting talent along with character. He absolutely needs to change this narrative if that’s what is being said.

This was being said during a coaching clinic when coaches were in between sessions and conversing.

I know it’s a far cry to say that a local coach is tuned in to what top coordinators in other states are thinking. But it is a small community.

Maybe the coaches on here can verify or dispute what he said. Sometimes rumors take a life of their own and this is all bs just like half of the names being reported.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So a young, up and coming NFL position coach, who was up for NFL DC jobs, and has worked in college for nearly a decade would be a bad DC hire? Only our fans.
Of course, just like some said Dorsey would not be qualified! We have a lot of "interesting" fans. 🤔

No disrespect but how do you know he will be a good DC, he was a good linebackers coach we'll see when call some plays
Thats a risk with any up and coming coach. Of course, if one isnt hired and he does well elsewhere at the elevated position the fanbase then starts with the " we should have hired him..the HC, AD, and admin suck!". If they take the gamble and it doesnt pan out the same fans will say " we never should have hired him...the HC, AD, and admin suck!"

Advertisement
No....it says, Strongs resume sh*ts on Steeles (which it does) and rsa responds with, "I have no problem with Strong as DC"...not the other way around. Nice try...

RSA responds, "I have no problem with Strong as DC" to which you gave a thumbs up.

Apparently neither reading comprehension nor humility are your strong points. It's really ok, friend. There was a time when you said you'd be fine with having Strong as DC even if you don't feel that way now.

Perhaps this will jog your noggin':

messages_0 (10).jpeg

Tom Hanks Hello GIF

You said what you said.

Everyone sees it.

Just own it - it's not that hard, compadre...

I really don't care to do this all day with you....let's find a quality DC & OC and get back to rooting for our Canes.

I work with the public almost everyday and run into people from all walks of life.
I spoke to a local high school coach. He’s not from a big school or a powerhouse.
Coaches love Mario. This bs narrative that is being spun by the media and dudes in here is according to him “bullsht”. People would love to work for him.

The problem is Miami itself.
Now this is according to him and it’s not me saying it.
A lot of wives don’t want to live here and have their kids live here.
Unfortunately it’s a stigma that still exists for this city.
It’s also a huge culture shock. I wasn’t gonna post this Until the campineli name came up cause now it makes sense to go after someone who’s already here instead of trying to convince a small town wife to move down here.

Also, he said the “culture” stigma is now affecting the coaching hire as well.
A lot of coaches have heard too many bad things from former coaches and former players.
He said coaches don’t want to put their reputation on the line for players who are gonna be too distracted to put in the work or just plain don’t want to put in the work.
This also makes sense given how Mario appears to be recruiting talent along with character. He absolutely needs to change this narrative if that’s what is being said.

This was being said during a coaching clinic when coaches were in between sessions and conversing.

I know it’s a far cry to say that a local coach is tuned in to what top coordinators in other states are thinking. But it is a small community.

Maybe the coaches on here can verify or dispute what he said. Sometimes rumors take a life of their own and this all bs just like half of the names being reported.

I know you said a lot there, but the "Miami area living conditions" is certainly a concern.

That's one of the issues I was alluding to with Candle. It wasn't HIS PRIMARY ISSUE, but it was certainly an issue that we addressed better this year than we did last year.

And it's also why I like guys with Miami "connections", even if they are NOT UM CONNECTIONS. Such as Spencer Whipple/Cameron Turner. Cam Turner's connections are through his dad and uncle, but he is not a "UM guy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back