Coaching DC Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still not sure why the rush to put DVD on the field

People ran with it because it was supposedly going to land us Cormani, but I don’t see why it’s such an automatic thing
Because he’s the best recruiter on the defensive staff and he’s eventually going to get a real coaching offer from a major program. You can’t stash guys like that in off field roles forever and our current DB coach is trash.

Advertisement
Obviously, everyone is going to say Leonhard, which we can all agree would be a home-run but while perusing Bama’s board it seems like Saban offered him the job and got tired of waiting because he’s supposedly interested in getting an NFL gig. Another name you’re going to see thrown around for every DC job is Schumann from Georgia. All indications point to him biding his time, similar to Lanning, and only leaving for a HC position. Both of these names are "Pie in the sky" in the same way Mullen was for OC.
Schumann first needs to get his feet wet right now he’s not the DC at Georgia.

With all the discussion about OC candidates what about DCs? Many seem disenchanted with Steele. If he were to depart, one way or another, does anyone think LBs coach Charlie Strong should or would get consideration as new DC? He was DC for Meyer‘s NC teams at UF. His HC experience not so great, did well at Louisville, but Texas is a toxic job and USF is…well…USF.

Good recruiter, IIRC.

Our LBs have been meh at best, bad at worst, but that room may be the worst of all.

Just throwing this out there….or other names…?
No way this thread sticks here.

Please kindly add "1.0" to avoid inevitable near-future confusion.

My family pulled me out of Killian when that AIDS outbreak happened. I applied to Belen but they said my lisp wasn't nearly strong enough and they wanted to do unnecessary research about my claims of being from a very politically connected family in Cuba. Soooooo.....I ended up at MAST studying starfish and stingrays all day.
Danny Miaz went to Miami Country Day.

Advertisement
Ehh…defensive success is far more reliant on talent than scheme. Georgia’s defense isn’t great because they’re doing something radical. They have NFL players at every position. I’m not saying coaching doesn’t matter at all because some guys are just bums and some guys are better at making in game adjustments but it’s not like on offense where an elite coach can overcome a talent disadvantage. Manny Diaz’s last two defenses were terrible at Miami. He goes to a more talented Penn State team and fields a top 20 defense again. Keep bringing in talent and you can field a top defense with any half decent coordinator.

Advertisement
But Saban hired Tommy Reese and Kevin Steele. To be honest, I’d rather still be shopping than have those guys.
Agree on Steele but Josh Pate is making a good point on his pod that likely Saban told Steele this is a short term deal and the young coach he just brought in or Pruitt is the long term answer once his show cause goes into effect

Advertisement
Jim Leonhard is the guy and there isn‘t a close second. I like Partridge as well but he’s a distant second and not even in the same universe as Leonhard.

Sounds like you should be advising Mario on how to construct a prioritized list of candidate names...

🤦‍♂️

Advertisement
Put your money on Strong getting a promotion. And to anyone even trolling about bringing Diaz back, remember what that costs lol. Remember UNC 2020, Bama ‘21, BYU 2005, Michigan 2022. The guy is a very good DC, but it’s like he forgets how to game plan the week of a big game.

Put your money on Strong getting a promotion. And to anyone even trolling about bringing Diaz back, remember what that costs lol. Remember UNC 2020, Bama ‘21, BYU 2005, Michigan 2022. The guy is a very good DC, but it’s like he forgets how to game plan the week of a big game.
Strong hasn't called a Defense in almost 14yrs....if that's our answer at DC....I honestly don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back