MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

NY Jets, Bills, and Giants? Phins, Bucs, and Jags? Hope carriage fees don’t doom them. Very condensed. Patriots have 6 states wrapped up. Sitting pretty. Thank you Maine!

Advertisement
Ay man, mods need to put this thread out of its misery. By the time Miami goes anywhere, this **** gonna be 5,000 pages long and so listen mang…..we just cant have that.
1000001306.gif

So one could argue that if the BIG added Miami and therefore get the State of FLA carriage fees, there would be no need to add FSU.

Yes- problem is the network makes money on the number of Big 10 network subscribers in the state (as far I as understand how the carriage fee stuff works). I think FSU has a much larger fanbase across the state of Florida than UM, so that means a lot more subscribers, meaning a lot more money if they take FSU.

So one could argue that if the BIG added Miami and therefore get the State of FLA carriage fees, there would be no need to add FSU.
When you look at VIEWERS over the past 20 years, big games, FSU dwarfs Miami's numbers. Heck, Miami has had ONE 10 win season in that span and FSU has had TEN. AND, there isn't one single factor being used in the "attractiveness" evaluations by the media partners.

-Carriage fees
-Viewership
-Trajectory of program
-Schools ability to INVEST in the program and cover SALARIES as the P2 goes in that direction soon.
(The number I have seen is $20-30M per year minimum).
-Then, to some degree at least in the B10, some conference presidents input on academics.

Would definitely help if Mario can win the ACC this year and nail a top recruiting class. It will at lease cause the "evaluators" to pause if final decisions on the next iteration haven't been solidified.

Advertisement
Let's not forget that as @TheOriginalCane has pointed out, there's a base of Big 10 fans already in FL. Which matchups will draw more viewers? That might help chip away at the higher FSU viewer number.
What will help will be Miami WINNING the ACC this year ... getting into major games like the ACC Championship game and into the CFP. Miami desperately needs to demonstrate progress and a serious commitment.

What will help will be Miami WINNING the ACC this year ... getting into major games like the ACC Championship game and into the CFP. Miami desperately needs to demonstrate progress and a serious commitment.
I can't agree with this statement any more than I already do. It is difficult to ignore a resurgent Miami.

Yes- problem is the network makes money on the number of Big 10 network subscribers in the state (as far I as understand how the carriage fee stuff works). I think FSU has a much larger fanbase across the state of Florida than UM, so that means a lot more subscribers, meaning a lot more money if they take FSU.

Why do you keep saying bull**** like this?

Does F$U produce more graduates? Yes. But the comparative fanbases of Miami, F$U, and Florida are fairly similar. You don't have to be an alum to be a fan. Miami is dominant in the population-heavy SoFla area, and The Gator, F$U, UCF, and USF split up the rest of the state.

And you absolutely refuse to factor in synergy. Thus, if the Big 10 Network were to get "1M more subscribers" by taking F$U "first", and at a higher carriage fee, THEY WOULD STILL GET A HIGHER CARRIAGE FEE WHEN THEY ADD UM AND THEIR 500K SUBSCRIBERS. Particularly if you add the two schools AT THE SAME TIME because the mother****ing cable companies can't tell whether a customer is a Miami fan or an F$U fan.

Similarly, if the Big 10 took UM "first" with its 500K subscribers, and then added F$U and its 1M subscribers, THEY WOULD SIMILARLY GET A HIGHER CARRIAGE FEE, particularly if both schools come in at once.

I'm not sure why the hardheads don't understand this. To be completely honest, YOU COULD ALSO HAVE SOME ADDITIONAL BIG 10 FANS IN FLORIDA WHO BECOME NEW SUBSCRIBERS, because now they will actually be able to see some games being played near where they live.

I'm just confused by how some posters think that cable subscribers are the "property" of various universities, as if there is only ONE REASON why they would suddenly subscribe to a channel.

The Big 10 needs to ENTER Florida. Then, as many NEW subscribers as they can bring will result in HIGHER carriage fees. Why buy half the loaf when you can get the whole loaf?

Advertisement
Let's not forget that as @TheOriginalCane has pointed out, there's a base of Big 10 fans already in FL. Which matchups will draw more viewers? That might help chip away at the higher FSU viewer number.

Yes. Considering that a TON of Big 10 fans live in the Orlando-Tampa-Naples triangle, I would argue that Miami bears a stronger appeal than if all of those Big 10 fans lived in the Panhandle, which would clearly favor F$U in that hypothetical.

Siap

Anyone bring up how Miami has more fans out of FL that tune in if can't make games in person?

I saw a post showing most searched schools for every state. Whether legit or not. IL most searched was Miami.

Siap

Anyone bring up how Miami has more fans out of FL that tune in if can't make games in person?

I saw a post showing most searched schools for every state. Whether legit or not. IL most searched was Miami

I think UM was like the LA/Oakland Raiders of the 80s- they were the cool bad guys. I grew up a Dolphins fan but I always liked the Raiders because everyone seemed to hate them. Lot of people loved seeing the UM swagger and how we embarrassed the good ol boys. when I lived in Hawaii, I’d say UM was the 4th most common college football sticker /license plate on cars. UH, USC, Oregon, then UM. Bit strange how there was a significant fan base in Hawaii .

I think UM was like the LA/Oakland Raiders of the 80s- they were the cool bad guys. I grew up a Dolphins fan but I always liked the Raiders because everyone seemed to hate them. Lot of people loved seeing the UM swagger and how we embarrassed the good ol boys. when I lived in Hawaii, I’d say UM was the 4th most common college football sticker /license plate on cars. UH, USC, Oregon, then UM. Bit strange how there was a significant fan base in Hawaii .
To be fair, probably 90% of the total UM fanbase in Hawaii were the 21 license plates you came across.

Advertisement
Advertisement
When we're at our best, there are very few programs in the COUNTRY who have as high of a ceiling as us when it comes to capturing the country's attention.

Don't you all remember the turnover chain craze? our only 10 win season in 20 years had ESPN creating graphics for us during our games, famous rappers making songs for us, crazy luxury cars being designed for us, PROFESSIONAL sports teams mimicking us... even gameday came to campus after saying they never would.... it was crazy...

there are only a few programs in the college football world who can capture that kind of attention when they're doing well...

The B1G just needs to know if Miami is committed to being on top again....

A major concern regarding the entire realignment topic is the U of Miami "in house" attitude and position regarding it. One attorney who is on canesport, who apparently has some contacts inside UM, stated that they (the administration) aren't really panicking or concerned regarding the realignment issue at this point in time. They are simply watching to see what happens with FSU / Clemson, how they exit if they do, how they do in their new conferences, and Miami might just be content in becoming the dominant ACC conference member. Apparently the UM admin doesn't view the "P2" as becoming a reality, at least in the short term, and if it does eventually take shape, then they believe they will be able to be part of it at some point. (note: this is the comment made by this one attorney ... I have "0" contacts inside UM).

A major concern regarding the entire realignment topic is the U of Miami "in house" attitude and position regarding it. One attorney who is on canesport, who apparently has some contacts inside UM, stated that they (the administration) aren't really panicking or concerned regarding the realignment issue at this point in time. They are simply watching to see what happens with FSU / Clemson, how they exit if they do, how they do in their new conferences, and Miami might just be content in becoming the dominant ACC conference member. Apparently the UM admin doesn't view the "P2" as becoming a reality, at least in the short term, and if it does eventually take shape, then they believe they will be able to be part of it at some point. (note: this is the comment made by this one attorney ... I have "0" contacts inside UM).
that's extremely naive IF that's their official stance... content being the dominant ACC conference member? They're aware that if FSU and Clemson leave, the B1G and SEC annual payments will go up and ACC's will go way down.. it won't be just $30-$40mill a year of a shortfall eventually it'll be $80mil a year less...
I refuse to believe that...my hope is that whatever precedent FSU and Clemson set in leaving, Miami is just watching and waiting and then will choose the best path for our own exit and save legal fees in the process.... but maybe that's naive too

Advertisement
Back