MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

I’m not sure you know what it means or what obligations it creates. It sets three periods where the parties will sit back down to look at what tweaks both parties want to make to the agreement. It does NOT force ESPN to renegotiate, alter its terms, reset to FMV or anything of the sort. I suggest you research what it means before being condescending, and the fact that you thought it did what you thought is laughable. The first look in was in 2021. Did the ACC’s payouts suddenly rise to the SEC or Big10 level?
But he stayed at a holiday inn express last night

Advertisement
Question: Isn’t it be in ESPN’s interest to throw some money the ACC‘s way to make it more viable?
If the conference falls even further behind the SEC and B10, its ratings would suffer and so would ESPN’s advertising dollars.

David Hale is testing a new comedy routine because his cushy career is in jeopardy once the ACC goes Tsar Bomba in the next 24 months.

Going to be a lot harder to cover regional sports without leaving your couch in Raleigh when every school in the triangle and adjoining states is scattered to the four winds, like God intended.

For the record, I hate all of this. The one saving grace, born entirely of bitterness, is that the myopic **** e heads running the conference thought the only things that mattered in the world were the schools between Charlotte and Charlottesville. I can only celebrate this all falling in on their heads.
You got Pluck lady..

I pay no mind to the attendance smack. It's complete bull****. Miami's attendance is underrated. Don't let them brainwash you. We do not have a naturally large student and employee base because we are a small, private school with only 11k undergrads. On an average Saturday we draw about 45k which is 4x the size of our student body. Tell me how many other schools draw 4x the size of their student body. Being a small private school, we not only have a small alumni base, but they live disproportionately far away from UM since we draw a higher percentage of students from OOS vs. a big state school.

Tiny, little, private Miami ranks 36th in attendance nationally over the last five years. Five years of ****** football, no less.

We outdrew bigger P5 schools like Oregon, KSU, L'ville, Utah, UNC, Baylor, ASU, PITT, CU, UCLA, UVA, Rutgers, CAL, Cincy, Maryland, NW, etc. and we drew just a handful less people than Missouri from the SEC and Purdue from the B1G. In fact, we outdrew six B1G, two SEC, six of the ten Big 12, and TEN Pac-12 programs! And we're 5th in the ACC. While being down.

We draw just fine. Maybe not "we have 50,000 students, 30,000 employees, three bars and no pro sports and everyone else depends on the local university for their business" fine, but just fine for who we are. Especially against our crap ACC schedule.

I think Miami would have better attendance if our conference games were higher caliber too. The novelty of playing the same ACC coastal teams wore off years ago.

Contract renegotiation does not mean ESPN, FOX, or whoever will continue to pay at the same rate per team just because a conference adds any team it wants. The Big 10 is getting $1B for 16 teams. That's $62,500,000 per team. Do you think UNC or UVA will each bring in over $62,500,000 each in advertising each year to the Big 10? At least they add TV sets. Maybe they can, but it just doesn't seem like it to me.

What gets me is the SEC. Would adding Clemson and FSU really add that many new TV sets to keep payouts per team the same? South Carolina and Florida are already covered there, by the flagship schools in each state no less. There has got to be a point of diminishing returns to the TV networks.

Frankly, as the 2 big boy conferences continue to get bigger and bigger, it is becoming more apparent to me anyway that college football as a whole is ******** this whole thing up. If the Power 5 agreed to negotiate as a block for TV contract rights, they would have gotten even bigger sums for more schools. Rivalries could have been saved and more quality interconference games could have been available. Instead, it looks like we're going to eventually have 2 major conferences who will likely rarely play each other due to the networks not wanting to give up programming to their rivals.
Not just added TV's but more attractive programming that brings in additional viewers. FSU vs UGA is going to bring in a LOT more viewers than Vanderbilt vs any other SEC team. That is one of the goals in the Big 10 and SEC expansion ... add programs that improve PROGRAMMING / scheduling ability for attractive prime time matchups.

Advertisement
Question: Isn’t it be in ESPN’s interest to throw some money the ACC‘s way to make it more viable?
If the conference falls even further behind the SEC and B10, its ratings would suffer and so would ESPN’s advertising dollars.
They clearly don't think it is at the point where it isn't viable... at least not yet.

How does "throwing more money the ACC's way" make it more viable? Nobody wants to watch Syracuse, BC or Wake Forest football on a national scale.
Giving them more $$$ accomplishes nothing ... and besides the ACCN is only making $120-140 million so there really isn't any money to "throw". Weak conference is the problem. You need to blow it up and strengthen the "Big 2" conferences, grow the Big 12, and send BC and Wake Forest to smaller regional conferences where they actually belong.

First thing is you need to win. If UM were winning those home conference games would have 60,000 attendance. Bethune Cookman not so much.
Nah, 35,000 people showed up to see the 2001 team beat Temple in the Orange Bowl. Even when the team is good, dud conference opponents don't really draw.

Advertisement
I think Miami would have better attendance if our conference games were higher caliber too. The novelty of playing the same ACC coastal teams wore off years ago.
This is part of the reason for getting rid of divisions... not necessarily 'higher caliber' but at least fresher. Instead of playing Duke, GT and UVA every year there will at least be some variety when you play BC, NC State and Wake more frequently.

The ACC Network always seems to have something on that i give zero ***** about…

Not sure how programming is determined, and I’m not THAT picky, but there are countless times I went looking for an ACC event and found something much less interesting on the channel…

There's zero reason for ESPN to send more money to the ACC unless they think they'll lose everything if the conference disbands. ESPN has us and the rest of the league by the balls for another THIRTEEN YEARS and they know it.

I promise you they have run the numbers and if the ROI was there, it would be done. Clearly it is not the case.

Advertisement

It's an interesting theory...but where does it stop?

If ESPN hands more money to the ACC gratuitiously, above and beyond what the contract calls for...why would the Big 10 and SEC not ask for THEIR deals to be re-done too?

This will not end well.

The ACC Network always seems to have something on that i give zero ***** about…

Not sure how programming is determined, and I’m not THAT picky, but there are countless times I went looking for an ACC event and found something much less interesting on the channel…

What are you saying, that you're not interested in a show that tells you all the good restaurants in Durham, NC?

Advertisement

ESPN blew their load on SEC

Other conferences are SOL, including ACC

Also don't believe that ESPN will have a lot of $$$ to try and fight the ACC members regarding some interpretation of trying to retain home game rights if the conference is dissolved.

Advertisement
Back