MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

Advertisement
Look, I have posted many times about what an awful person Pat Forde is. He's the guy who "broke" the Seventh Floor Crew story and wrote the most accusatory articles about UM at that time, while IGNORING a very similar story that happened at Michigan.

Pat Forde has been an anti-Miami pro-Big-10 ******* for decades.

And now he blames the "every-school-for-itself approach", RATHER THAN BLAME an insane and overly-lengthy GOR, a held-us-over-a-barrel substandard contract from ESPN, and terrible conference leadership that have allowed other conferences to leapfrog us.

Enjoy.

View attachment 238879

I’m very OK with looking out for our own best interests here… and **** that guy…

The best thing for me would be for Heidi Klum to sit on my face and ND joining the ACC is about as likely. Let it go.

Miami (us)
Notre Dame (Elite)
USC (Elite)
Ohio State (Elite)
Michigan (Elite)
UNC (our biggest Coastal rival)
Penn State (we hate them and want to kill them)
Wisconsin (great college town, will be a popular trip)
UCLA (more LaLa and the Rose Bowl baby!)
Nebraska (we hate them and want to kill them)

I'd like to hate and kill Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan as well if it's cool

I hate the idea of super conference, and I hate the idea of Miami moving to the boring a Big 10.

Nothing says Miami like Big 10
Baby!!!

Best thing for Miami would
Be for ACC to get a better tv deal than currently constructed, and or work with Notre Dame and NBC to have them join and jeep
ACC in tact.
I see absolutely no chance of this happening. ESPN has already told the ACC they won’t negotiate. Notre Dame has several options miles better than joining the weak ACC just to save it from imploding. They will either stay independent as long as NBC keeps paying for them (seems like they will), or they can join the BIG or SEC whenever they want. Either conference would love to have them.

There’s a better chance UM gets a stadium at Tropical Park than Notre Dame joining the ACC.
And since we can’t get ND to join, it pretty much kills any chance we’re able to expand and renegotiate a contract. Adding West Virginia or other left over programs from the Big 12/PAC 12 will do nothing to make the ACC as valuable as the SEC and BIG.

I’m very OK with looking out for our own best interests here… and **** that guy…

Right.

What's bothersome is that this is NOT "every-school-for-itself". It's just not.

We've had multiple schools working together for quite some time INSTEAD OF going out on their own. While it would be great if we could find 15 landing spots in the SEC and Big 10 for everyone, that's just not realistic. But for the 8 schools (and I include ND in this calculation) that have the best shot of taking the Big 10 and/or SEC to 20, those schools ARE working together for the common good.

Advertisement
Fair enough. Your points on secrecy being "preferred" are completely valid, and if I went hard, you seem to be capable of taking it in stride. I do think that most people who are still debating on Page 239 have read most of the thread, so apologies if you weren't aware of the advantages that Texas/Oklahoma had that are not currently available to the ACC.

And if I seem upset, it's because I'm ****ed off that the ACC put us in this situation with an insane 20-year GOR (see what I just posted on the Pat Forde article). It's simply a sense of outrage that every other school in the country has options EXCEPT FOR the dip****s in the ACC.

In case I haven't said it a million times before, **** Pat Forde.

Pat Forde
Heather Dinnich
Finnebaum
Mark May
And a few others

Can all get diarrhea for a month

They don’t even try to hide their hate of UM

Right.

What's bothersome is that this is NOT "every-school-for-itself". It's just not.

We've had multiple schools working together for quite some time INSTEAD OF going out on their own. While it would be great if we could find 15 landing spots in the SEC and Big 10 for everyone, that's just not realistic. But for the 8 schools (and I include ND in this calculation) that have the best shot of taking the Big 10 and/or SEC to 20, those schools ARE working together for the common good.
And some of the programs ... as many as 4 ... could end up in the Big 12 with better media deals than they currently have in the ACC. The ones that might end up in Conference USA are Wake and BC. And for those saying "force ESPN to renegotiate the ACC media agreement" ... they need to look at the fact that even under the most generous estimates the ACCN makes between #120-140 million per year for ESPN. They could give 100% of the profit to the members and with the resulting increase of $10 million per program the ACC is still way behind the two majors, and ACCN is operating at break even. Not happening.

While it would be great if we could find 15 landing spots in the SEC and Big 10 for everyone, that's just not realistic.

Why would it be great (other than if it would expedite the dissolution of the ACC)?

BC, Syracuse, Wake, Pitt and Louisville don't belong anywhere near the SEC or B1G.

Conference consolidation is about shedding deadweight

Advertisement
And some of the programs ... as many as 4 ... could end up in the Big 12 with better media deals than they currently have in the ACC. The ones that might end up in Conference USA are Wake and BC. And for those saying "force ESPN to renegotiate the ACC media agreement" ... they need to look at the fact that even under the most generous estimates the ACCN makes between #120-140 million per year for ESPN. They could give 100% of the profit to the members and with the resulting increase of $10 million per program the ACC is still way behind the two majors, and ACCN is operating at break even. Not happening.

Completely correct.

The "current" money is not enough.

The "desired" money will not be freely given by ESPN or anyone else.

The only real alternative is to stay and wither, or go elsewhere and have a shot.

Yep and even if they had the teams (let's assume the ACC was actually made up of the SEC teams), they don't have the leverage to renegotiate b/c the contract goes through 2036 and (so far) no team(s) has found a way out of it so why would ESPN renegotiate.

It's like you currently have an mortgage that was signed 3 years ago with a rate of 2.85% and your bank is trying to get you to refinance for current rates around 7%. You are going to tell them to kick rocks b/c you have another 27 years on the contract, why would you agree to give them more money. Unfortunately ESPN is the mortgage holder and the ACC is the bank in this analogy.
I think the only way that ESPN renegotiates is if they think that the ACC is in danger of becoming so uncompetitive that either they collapse or their ratings tank so much that ESPN would make more money by propping them up which ESPN obviously isn't too worried about... yet.

Continuing with the mortgage analogies, this would be like back in ~2010 when people had mortgages of ~7% and new mortgages were going for much lower, but the people with the high mortgages couldn't get approved to refinance b/c their home values had fallen. The banks then had to choose whether it was better to give the home owner a better rate (and lose profit) or take the risk they would default (and then be stuck with a home to try and sell). (This analogy isn't perfect since the banks usually sold off mortgages, but it illustrates the point)

Advertisement
Why would it be great (other than if it would expedite the dissolution of the ACC)?

BC, Syracuse, Wake, Pitt and Louisville don't belong anywhere near the SEC or B1G.

It would be great in the sense of "harmony".

I meant that comment in the context of Pat Forde's "every-school-for-itself" nonsense. I was not intending it as a financial assessment. I don't know what that nutbag Pat Forde expects in the way of conference unity, and while his analysis of "harmony" would seem to be satisfied by 15 teams simultaneously joining new conferences and ejaculating at once, it's just not going to happen.

I think the only way that ESPN renegotiates is if they think that the ACC is in danger of becoming so uncompetitive that either they collapse or their ratings tank so much that ESPN would make more money by propping them up which ESPN obviously isn't too worried about... yet.

Continuing with the mortgage analogies, this would be like back in ~2010 when people had mortgages of ~7% and new mortgages were going for much lower, but the people with the high mortgages couldn't get approved to refinance b/c their home values had fallen. The banks then had to choose whether it was better to give the home owner a better rate (and lose profit) or take the risk they would default (and then be stuck with a home to try and sell). (This analogy isn't perfect since the banks usually sold off mortgages, but it illustrates the point)
ACCN doesn't generate enough profit TO ESPN for them to "prop them up". Just giving each program a paltry additional $10 million would wipe out ALL of the ACCN profit. Better to let it fold and take 4 programs to the SEC.

Advertisement
Yeah, Adelson isn't great. She's a Gaytor.

So is Andy Staples of the Athletic.

He's trying to reason in his article today why Miami should end up in the Big XII and not the SEC

Scared Horror GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Don't forget the Big 12. Apparently Louisville received an invite, and I would expect that Pitt is solid enough to warrant one. The Big 12 media contract is much better than the ACC. BC, Syracuse and Wake could end up in conference USA or some other similar situation.

Don't forget the Big 12. Apparently Louisville received an invite, and I would expect that Pitt is solid enough to warrant one. The Big 12 media contract is much better than the ACC. BC, Syracuse and Wake could end up in conference USA or some other similar situation.

Fine with all the ACC leftovers going to the Big XII (or whatever its successor is rebranded)

I think we're headed for the Super 2 with the SEC and B1G, the Big XII in the third slot ... and every other conference left far behind and fighting over crumbs

Advertisement
Back