Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

Advertisement
Advertisement
What would you do?? Me, I'd stay at UT
I would too.

But if he has a good relationship with the current staff at Cheatagain & they're willing to pay more, then I could see why he might make the move.

Also, he'd probably be in better position to finally become a DC at Cheat than he would at Tenn, considering they usually always elevate & hire inside. And it's not likely Martindale is there for much longer than a season.

Advertisement
These are not bad hires by BC. That sort of school you probably want to run NFLish kind of systems. But he needs to find some good recruiters, especially northeast corridor.

I don’t think the brand and NIL will allow that school to flourish.

I agree with the NFL-like schemes, but I’d dump a ton of money on talent evaluation and the transfer portal evals.

I don’t think the brand and NIL will allow that school to flourish.

I agree with the NFL-like schemes, but I’d dump a ton of money on talent evaluation and the transfer portal evals.

For better or worse, BC has historically recruited alot of players from the Catholic schools in northeast and even some in the Midwest. Alot of these kids may be more into the academic vs the NIL stuff, so those are the type of kids they will have to identify and recruit.
They were able to do this well in the past, even getting talent that would have attended ND. But ND has their stuff together and now I suspect Syracuse and Rutgers are going to nab players they would normally recruit. So it will be tough. But it's still an attractive for certain football players, albeit a small pool.

If you google Matt Merritt, the first hit is a famous rodeo clown

I'll admit, I laughed out loud when I googled his name at hire and that was the first thing to pop up. No disrespect to either man, but that pretty much sums up our last 20 years of football. Hope he's an outstanding hire, but I'd never heard of him or even where he played ball. All of which doesn't mean much if he puts in the work and gets results. That'll depend on more than just him though.

Advertisement
Really, REALLY shocked and appalled by this hire for UCLA. It’s taboo to hire a position coach vs. a coordinator; sometimes it works out (see Dabo), but not often.

Furthermore, it’s really taboo to hire a position coach from a failed regime. Again, it may work out (see Dabo), but it’s a slim to none chance. The reason Dabo worked out so well, and is an exception to rule is b/c b4 Dabo became a HC, he was a beast of a recruiter. At one point, he was considered the #5 recruiter in the nation.

I’m not sure Foster has ever recruited a blue chip player to UCLA, even at the position he coaches. I wish him the best, but this has failure written all over it, unless he hires a great support staff. UCLA could’ve easily went a different route; some great G5 coaches that would’ve came to Westwood w/ the renewed financial commitment available. Smh

Not sure the politics of the UC schools allow them to be serious players in the new football world of NIL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back