Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

Here’s the thing. For us diaz at least was a coordinator - but not alum or player obviously.

The UCLA program means something to him and if he wins he’d never leave… boosters like him

BUT

He was on NO lists yet for an OC let alone a HC at a G5. This is the big ten.

He is not known as a good recruiter or even one who likes it.

This is a huge gamble.

Sometimes when you’re an outlier, you are Steve Jobs. Rare.

Most of the time though you are an idiot. The AD is riding his career in or out of ucla on this.

They better be spending bucks on coordinators. Reeks of a lazy hire by a meh AD who tried to get Taint job working for a chancellor on his way out in a few months.
Good points, especially on the AD side. The stigma on UCLA right now is that they don't care so much about football and don't want to spend the money required to compete with the big boys.

I think that some of that was Kelly's fault and maybe they have some wiggle room to improve in those departments (recruiting in general and NIL) but this hire doesn't scream "We are all in on football" to me.

Pretty uninspiring hire imho.

Advertisement
Here’s the thing. For us diaz at least was a coordinator - but not alum or player obviously.

The UCLA program means something to him and if he wins he’d never leave… boosters like him

BUT

He was on NO lists yet for an OC let alone a HC at a G5. This is the big ten.

He is not known as a good recruiter or even one who likes it.

This is a huge gamble.

Sometimes when you’re an outlier, you are Steve Jobs. Rare.

Most of the time though you are an idiot. The AD is riding his career in or out of ucla on this.

They better be spending bucks on coordinators. Reeks of a lazy hire by a meh AD who tried to get Taint job working for a chancellor on his way out in a few months.
That makes sense. This late in the game your options are severely limited but this is such an uninspiring hire.

UCLA is such a weird program. People claim it’s a sleeping giant, but I’ve just never viewed them in the same light as I did UGA, TAMU or us in our current state. For a major school in their location they just seem all kinds of out of sorts. At least they have been in my 30+ years on this earth.

Man, I'd hate to be a UCLA fan right now...

This would've been the perfect time to hire Joey Halzle.

Programs really ***** themselves & their fans over due to being cheap & lazy smh.

And the sad thing is that if/when Foster is hired and if/when he fails, what should be a beloved
former player becomes known as another failed coach at the school.
Look at schools which hired alums like John Bunting (UNC), Al Groh (UVA), Scott Frost (Nebraska),
Ray Goff (UGA), Mike DuBose/Mike Shula (Alabama), John Blake (OU) and our own Randy Shannon (who many
of us Canes still respect but, honestly, his name/rep has taken a beating).
It makes one wonder how much these ADs follow college football.

Advertisement
Really, REALLY shocked and appalled by this hire for UCLA. It’s taboo to hire a position coach vs. a coordinator; sometimes it works out (see Dabo), but not often.

Furthermore, it’s really taboo to hire a position coach from a failed regime. Again, it may work out (see Dabo), but it’s a slim to none chance. The reason Dabo worked out so well, and is an exception to rule is b/c b4 Dabo became a HC, he was a beast of a recruiter. At one point, he was considered the #5 recruiter in the nation.

I’m not sure Foster has ever recruited a blue chip player to UCLA, even at the position he coaches. I wish him the best, but this has failure written all over it, unless he hires a great support staff. UCLA could’ve easily went a different route; some great G5 coaches that would’ve came to Westwood w/ the renewed financial commitment available. Smh

Advertisement
Glad to see Deshaun has got his life back on track. He was never the same player after tearing his knee up and having that experimental surgery.

UCLA is such a weird program. People claim it’s a sleeping giant, but I’ve just never viewed them in the same light as I did UGA, TAMU or us in our current state. For a major school in their location they just seem all kinds of out of sorts. At least they have been in my 30+ years on this earth.
Well, there was a time when they were about to become relevant again. But then something came along and ruined it for them…

1707787662923.jpeg

Really, REALLY shocked and appalled by this hire for UCLA. It’s taboo to hire a position coach vs. a coordinator; sometimes it works out (see Dabo), but not often.

Furthermore, it’s really taboo to hire a position coach from a failed regime. Again, it may work out (see Dabo), but it’s a slim to none chance. The reason Dabo worked out so well, and is an exception to rule is b/c b4 Dabo became a HC, he was a beast of a recruiter. At one point, he was considered the #5 recruiter in the nation.

I’m not sure Foster has ever recruited a blue chip player to UCLA, even at the position he coaches. I wish him the best, but this has failure written all over it, unless he hires a great support staff. UCLA could’ve easily went a different route; some great G5 coaches that would’ve came to Westwood w/ the renewed financial commitment available. Smh
These AD's stick their head halfway out of the office in a panic & just look for the first person they see walking down the hallway...

77eb83e3cb086fd1149bfc4ea1a2efa2.gif

"Hey you... You Coach Football??"

Advertisement
The UCLA hire depends if that 5 year contract is really a 5 year deal of if its really just like a 1 yr deal. Cause To me this is the same as when 49ers hired Tomsula and Texans hired Lovie Smith for a year. Everyone knew it was a 1 yr deal.
This would be pretty late to have to hire a new HC that you're really committed to long term. Now you could also argue that they should have been way more proactive given Kelly was 100% trying to leave for literally any opportunity he could.... and because of their actions basically...

IF this is just a 1 yr thing its not too bad.

Advertisement

I agree. Dabo also had the resources to hire coaches and bags for recruits. UCLA doesn’t have either.

One person who never gets credit for Clemson’s success is Woody McCorvey. Without him, Dabo doesnt make it out of year 3.

Advertisement
Back