Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

That's an exaggeration, he didn't leave the worst roster in school history.

Richt's "goodness" or "badness" at Miami is subjective. But what's objective, is that in comparison to his predecessors his record was better than all of them. Richt had ONE losing season at Miami, not 2, not 3, just one. Al Folden had FOUR losing seasons at Miami, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4.

Whether or not the condition of the roster was left in a good spot is up to the next Coach to figure out. It's their responsibility to shape & mold the roster the way they see fit & produce a winning product on the field. That's why HS recruiting & transfer portal exists. Placing a high premium on how you leave the roster for the next Coach seems to be of high value from your view, but what's more important, is winning on the field. It doesn't matter if you gather all the infinity stones & have a roster full of NFL caliber players if you can't take them on the field from September to December & win with them.

So if you wanna knock Richt for the state of the roster during his tenure go ahead, just stop trying to juxtapose it next to Folden as if he somehow dropped the ball from Folden. Folden didn't win SH*T at Miami or at any place in his career, so there's no reason to compliment him while critiquing Richt.

Whatever Richt failed at in Miami towers over anything Folden did at Miami. So if Richt is considered a bad hire, then Folden was a significantly worse hire. And the results bear that out.
I get what you’re saying. I think the difference is neither won anything at UM. Im not over here saying Golden was good, he was bad. Richt was bad. My point is at least Golden left the roster in better shape than what he inherited (ncaa sanctions, lack of talent etc.)

Advertisement
I get what you’re saying. I think the difference is neither won anything at UM. Im not over here saying Golden was good, he was bad. Richt was bad. My point is at least Golden left the roster in better shape than what he inherited (ncaa sanctions, lack of talent etc.)
Richt won us our first 10 win season & Bowl game since 2003, there hasn't been either since.

To say neither won anything at Miami isn't accurate.

Who gives a sh*t what shape Folden left the roster in, he did nothing when he had the roster.

That's an exaggeration, he didn't leave the worst roster in school history.

Richt's "goodness" or "badness" at Miami is subjective. But what's objective, is that in comparison to his predecessors his record was better than all of them. Richt had ONE losing season at Miami, not 2, not 3, just one. Al Folden had FOUR losing seasons at Miami, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4.

Whether or not the condition of the roster was left in a good spot is up to the next Coach to figure out. It's their responsibility to shape & mold the roster the way they see fit & produce a winning product on the field. That's why HS recruiting & transfer portal exists. Placing a high premium on how you leave the roster for the next Coach seems to be of high value from your view, but what's more important, is winning on the field. It doesn't matter if you gather all the infinity stones & have a roster full of NFL caliber players if you can't take them on the field from September to December & win with them.

So if you wanna knock Richt for the state of the roster during his tenure go ahead, just stop trying to juxtapose it next to Folden as if he somehow dropped the ball from Folden. Folden didn't win SH*T at Miami or at any place in his career, so there's no reason to compliment him while critiquing Richt.

Whatever Richt failed at in Miami towers over anything Folden did at Miami. So if Richt is considered a bad hire, then Folden was a significantly worse hire. And the results bear that out.

Bro, Richt didn’t even have “a” losing season here.
9-4 yr 1
10-3 yr 2
7-6 yr 3

Golden:
6-6 yr 1
7-5 yr 2
9-4 yr 3
6-7 yr 4 (the year he tried to backdoor his way to PSU)
4-3 yr 5 (fired after the 58-0 loss to Clemson)

Like u said, Golden recruited well here (clap, clap bravo), but who gives af when this dude didn’t do chit w/ it. I can “reasonably” give him an excuse his first two yrs, but after yr 3 the bottom fell out. He tried to parlay year 3 into his dream job at PSU. He went rogue, not talking to players or Blake James. Once it became apparent he wouldn’t get the job at PSU, blood became indifferent here & u could see it. He’s a hack.

Richt, I didn’t agree w/ the hire, but he’s been by far our best coach we’ve had out of all the coaches hired after Coker. Dude gave up his own money to help us catch up to other teams in regards to facilities. He was a shell of himself, which should so u how bad Golden was.

Bro, Richt didn’t even have “a” losing season here.
9-4 yr 1
10-3 yr 2
7-6 yr 3

Golden:
6-6 yr 1
7-5 yr 2
9-4 yr 3
6-7 yr 4 (the year he tried to backdoor his way to PSU)
4-3 yr 5 (fired after the 58-0 loss to Clemson)

Like u said, Golden recruited well here (clap, clap bravo), but who gives af when this dude didn’t do chit w/ it. I can “reasonably” give him an excuse his first two yrs, but after yr 3 the bottom fell out. He tried to parlay year 3 into his dream job at PSU. He went rogue, not talking to players or Blake James. Once it became apparent he wouldn’t get the job at PSU, blood became indifferent here & u could see it. He’s a hack.

Richt, I didn’t agree w/ the hire, but he’s been by far our best coach we’ve had out of all the coaches hired after Coker. Dude gave up his own money to help us catch up to other teams in regards to facilities. He was a shell of himself, which should so u how bad Golden was.
Yeah Golden blew ****, Richt sucked too though. No conference titles, went 7-6 when he got his own players in there. Haven’t had an elite coach in a long time.

Advertisement
Advertisement

And Bill Belichick still doesn’t have a gig.

1707755284018.gif

Advertisement
I'm sure that will galvanize the roster but that's a really lazy hire. I get he was on staff for many years and a big time former player, but I feel like moves like this rarely work out.

Of all schools, UCLA should know better as they have done this before hiring Neuheisel and Dorrell, and at least those guys had better resumes when they were hired.

Advertisement
If they were going to go the position coach route they should’ve gone after Lupoi. At least he’d clean up in recruiting.
Here’s the thing. For us diaz at least was a coordinator - but not alum or player obviously.

The UCLA program means something to him and if he wins he’d never leave… boosters like him

BUT

He was on NO lists yet for an OC let alone a HC at a G5. This is the big ten.

He is not known as a good recruiter or even one who likes it.

This is a huge gamble.

Sometimes when you’re an outlier, you are Steve Jobs. Rare.

Most of the time though you are an idiot. The AD is riding his career in or out of ucla on this.

They better be spending bucks on coordinators. Reeks of a lazy hire by a meh AD who tried to get Taint job working for a chancellor on his way out in a few months.

Last edited:
From RB coach to HC is a loser move, especially if the coach has never coordinated anything.
There are exceptions, of course.
Case in point the RB coach Jerry Mack who has coordinated offenses and actually been a Head Coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back