Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

I think the A&M job will have candidates that we don't even think are candidates. Thinking Riley to USC kind of deal...guys that we'd perceive as entrenched at their current position, only to "shockingly" bolt.

Dabo, Norvell, Lanning, Kiffin, maybe even DeBoer are some examples....I mean all you have to do is compete for one conference title and you're a god there. It's not like they have a track record of winning recently. They have endless financial means to acquire the best of the best recruits. Who wouldn't want to coach with endless financial backing if they truly believed in their coaching capabilities?

Sure it's one of the toughest conferences in America, but the reward far outweighs the risk. At worst...you're getting paid handsomely to go 7-5 or 8-4.

Advertisement
I think the A&M job will have candidates that we don't even think are candidates. Thinking Riley to USC kind of deal...guys that we'd perceive as entrenched at their current position, only to "shockingly" bolt.

Dabo, Norvell, Lanning, Kiffin are some examples....I mean all you have to do is compete for one conference title and you're a god there. It's not like they have a track record of winning recently. They have endless financial means to acquire the best of the best.

Sure it's one of the toughest conferences in America, but the reward far outweighs the risk. At worst...you're getting paid handsomely to go 7-5 or 8-4.
Riley and Brian Kelly were completely out of left field meanwhile Norvell, Lanning, and Kiffin have already been discussed so I think it's a little different.

I also think Riley and BK both had a 5+ year track record of being playoff caliber coaches which puts them in a different tier than Norvell, Lanning, and Kiffin.

Dabo would be more in line with Riley and BK but even he's been struggling last few years. Only other guy I can think of that would be Ryan Day if he loses to Michigan and Harbaugh if he's over Michigan but doesn't get an NFL gig.

Ryan Day honestly may be something worth thinking about if he can't get over the Michigan hump again this year.

Riley and Brian Kelly were completely out of left field meanwhile Norvell, Lanning, and Kiffin have already been discussed so I think it's a little different.

I also think Riley and BK both had a 5+ year track record of being playoff caliber coaches which puts them in a different tier than Norvell, Lanning, and Kiffin.

Dabo would be more in line with Riley and BK but even he's been struggling last few years. Only other guy I can think of that would be Ryan Day if he loses to Michigan and Harbaugh if he's over Michigan but doesn't get an NFL gig.

Ryan Day honestly may be something worth thinking about if he can't get over the Michigan hump again this year.
I think Lanning was pretty emphatic yesterday about staying at Oregon but hey money talks I guess. What about a Gundy type hire for A & M? Guy seems to have hit a ceiling at OSU. Could Franklin jump ship from Pedo State? Eli Drinkwitz - does he parlay Mizzou at 8-2 this year into a bigger gig?

Advertisement
I think Lanning was pretty emphatic yesterday about staying at Oregon but hey money talks I guess. What about a Gundy type hire for A & M? Guy seems to have hit a ceiling at OSU. Could Franklin jump ship from Pedo State? Eli Drinkwitz - does he parlay Mizzou at 8-2 this year into a bigger gig?
Gundy would probably be a high floor type of hire with some interesting upside given the resources he'll have access to. But idk if he's got the recruiting chops for it or if he'll want to deal with the political BS he'll have to deal with. But certainly wouldn't be the dumbest hire IMO.

Re: Franklin...I can't imagine A&M says "let's fire our offensively inept HC to hire another offensively inept HC."

Eli probably doesn't have enough of a track record. If you're going for a guy like that, you might as well go and get someone slightly more proven like Kalen Deboer, Lane Leipold, or Chris Klieman.

Gundy would probably be a high floor type of hire with some interesting upside given the resources he'll have access to. But idk if he's got the recruiting chops for it or if he'll want to deal with the political BS he'll have to deal with. But certainly wouldn't be the dumbest hire IMO.

Re: Franklin...I can't imagine A&M says "let's fire our offensively inept HC to hire another offensively inept HC."

Eli probably doesn't have enough of a track record. If you're going for a guy like that, you might as well go and get someone slightly more proven like Kalen Deboer, Lane Leipold, or Chris Klieman.
Bjork went big on the baseball hire getting Schlossnagle from TCU and it paid immediate dividends - got them to Omaha. That tells me this will be a big fish hire if he can lure someone away.

What about Bill Belichick? Seems like maybe they could lure him away from the Pats. The timing is right.

Advertisement
Has anyone informed Chip that this is coming?

Any of you guys text him about it yet?

If I was Chip, I would appreciate a heads up.
I took the liberty to NOTIFY PLAYERS about an hour ago.

I told them to keep it together and trust the process as we find them a staff to put them in the best position to succeed as student athletes.

There were tears, but they appreciated my candor.

Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of those sort of those hires, especially from the in-house staff of a program
on the decline. But he comes from a very successful program and we have seen former coaches
from that program do well at the Div1A level. So he should have a decent rolodex of coaches
to hire onto staff.
So, yeah, not a bad hire for that school.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back