Class of 2022

I hear u, but recruiting is all encompassing now, & the portal is also included in recruiting rankings & classes.
I’ve given some leeway here and there because NIL has made things a mess for a lot of programs….but end of the day not sure how you can really look at the collective winter/spring of 2022 other than an unmitigated disaster for the program

Advertisement
Mario coming out of the gates at Miami like..
fail-run.gif

In his defense, he's adapted.. but definitely didn't handle it like a man who had just signed an $80 million contract. Woof

I’ve given some leeway here and there because NIL has made things a mess for a lot of programs….but end of the day not sure how you can really look at the collective winter/spring of 2022 other than an unmitigated disaster for the program

Yeah, & it’s OK to say the 2022 class was a miss. No one bats 100; but to act like the class wasn’t really his is wild af. Lol.

That’s arguably one of the more disingenuous statements I’ve seen.

Advertisement
Portal class is 1000% on him. Anyone trying to argue otherwise has different agendas.

HS I don’t necessarily blame, development though is a different question mark.

And the entire staff from 2022 was essentially replaced as well. 2022 was pretty much the worst start to a tenure you could ask for.
Development and portal yes, I agree on him but he got here in Dec, this spring portal is by far the biggest window for spring yet in terms of dudes entering. Prior to this year the spring portal was an afterthought. I was a little surprised he did not try to poach more quality from Oregon and instead seemed to go out and get system fits or culture guys.

Tough when this class is supposed to be the leaders of the team now

I fully believe in Mario’s recruiting but this 2022 year is one that gets felt for years. Manny should be thrown in jail
Manny wasnt even evaluating bruh, he just grabs kids and hopes that he hits. Mario basically had to hold that BS together and not burn bridges. He was always ****ed with that class but he had no choice. Class was mega cheeks

Advertisement
I think Mario's strategy with the portal has completely changed as he's backfilled the roster with young guys via HS recruiting. This is not a defense of him - his portal results have largely sucked. It's an observation. To explain, when he got here, the roster was so effed up (especially on the LOS) that he was sort of forced (by himself) to take portal guys as roster fillers. We don't really need roster fillers anymore and as such, are moving away from roster fillers and toward starter-caliber-only type players.
Go ahead CiS, hurl your stones at me.....I could use a good stoning.

Manny wasnt even evaluating bruh, he just grabs kids and hopes that he hits. Mario basically had to hold that BS together and not burn bridges. He was always ****ed with that class but he had no choice. Class was mega cheeks
he also never used the transfer portal before he came here. thats how good a recruiter he was.

Advertisement
My brother you gotta let me bounce back from this one 😂
@JHallCanes @AtrainCane
2021 is better than you think (well, better than 2022)

James Williams
LT
KK
Arroyo
Jacolby George

However the Jag(off) factor was high:

DeShawn Troutman
Allan Haye
Khalil Brantley
Michael McLaughlin
Jake #GarciaToTheU

If you want to feel really sad, look up where these players transferred out to.....FAU, App State, Temple, Miss Valley State, East Carolina.

PS. 2020 is bad too. Real bad.

PSS. Don't even think about looking at 2019. Ho-Lee-Sheeet. Lou Hedley was the top producer. Couple good transfers (Bolden, J Phillips) and Zion Nelson. The rest....wow.

Advertisement
I guarantee you were hyped about Mario “saving the class” when it happened. The worst part of it is, he sacrificed hiring a staff to prioritize recruiting these kids.

And failed at both, hindsight I know but nevertheless the first year was atrocious from top to bottom

I think not just this thread, but the site in general, is way too harsh and exacting re: portal recruiting. Some gems but largely mediocre players that are nothing more than depth pieces. You can’t expect anyone to kill it in the portal unless you have an unlimited budget.

I think not just this thread, but the site in general, is way too harsh and exacting re: portal recruiting. Some gems but largely mediocre players that are nothing more than depth pieces. You can’t expect anyone to kill it in the portal unless you have an unlimited budget.
So Washington had an unlimited budget? TCU had an unlimited budget? Louisville had an unlimited budget? fsu had an unlimited budget?

Advertisement
Back