Chad Morris to SMU

They could have had a coach not 5 years removed from coaching high school in Butch but at half the price. Results would probably be better too without the complaining they're going to get from Morris once he realizes that their admin's desire to be a football power again is only slightly greater than ours. If a June Jones quits because he believs the commitment just isn't there then you have an issue.

Advertisement
Why take that job if you are Morris? There are better options out there and you have to look at power 5 jobs, period. Pretty soon it will be hard to make your bones in a job/league with such a resource disadvantage.

Because he believes in himself and knows the last HC completely quit recruiting and trying to build the program. He can go in there, recruit some good players and get them to 8 or 9 wins in a couple years then be the hot HC who "turned SMU around."

He's got nowhere to go but up there, and he knows it. I knew they'd open the wallets and try to make a good hire based on the success they had hiring a great basketball HC.

They could have had a coach not 5 years removed from coaching high school in Butch but at half the price. Results would probably be better too without the complaining they're going to get from Morris once he realizes that their admin's desire to be a football power again is only slightly greater than ours. If a June Jones quits because he believs the commitment just isn't there then you have an issue.

June Jones quit while he was still employed. He had no interest in recruiting and pretty much gave up. He had been talking about retiring for a few years. He decided to retire while he still was stealing checks.

I wish Tim Brewster would have got the job, it would have helped stop the excessive money bags going around in south Florida from fsu......

Yeah because fsu will stop crushing Folden's guts just because Brewster leaves.

Advertisement

June Jones quit while he was still employed. He had no interest in recruiting and pretty much gave up. He had been talking about retiring for a few years. He decided to retire while he still was stealing checks.

True and I believe the discontent started when he flirted with ASU or something but he has implied since along with Eric ****erson and such that they admin doesn't support the program. ****erson (although he makes Sapp look like a genius) went as far to say they either need to show more of a commitment to football or just shut it down.

Why take that job if you are Morris? There are better options out there and you have to look at power 5 jobs, period. Pretty soon it will be hard to make your bones in a job/league with such a resource disadvantage.

because he's from Texas and is considered a HS coaching legend there. So although he won't really beat UT/A&M/OU/TCU/Baylor's, Texas has more than enough talent that with his recruiting ability and Texas connections he should beat out the TTU/UH/Rice etc and that type of talent should be more than enough to win in the sorry *** American. If he wins, he has the head coaching experience angle on his resume tackled so that it's no longer a deterrent with the bigger schools (ala Gus who he has patterned a lot of what he does off of).

True and I believe the discontent started when he flirted with ASU or something but he has implied since along with Eric ****erson and such that they admin doesn't support the program. ****erson (although he makes Sapp look like a genius) went as far to say they either need to show more of a commitment to football or just shut it down.
I'm not sure what ****erson meant by "commitment to football," but often times guys use that vernacular to mean they want a better HC without actually calling the current or recently departed HC out.

SMU just showed that commitment by handing $3M to the hot up and coming OC that many thought would wind up at a big program.

SMU does have a lot of well-connected alumni with deep pockets. It doesn't surprise me that they would spend big on a head coach. With that said, there is no reason Miami shouldn't do the same.

Advertisement

I'm not sure what ****erson meant by "commitment to football," but often times guys use that vernacular to mean they want a better HC without actually calling the current or recently departed HC out.

SMU just showed that commitment by handing $3M to the hot up and coming OC that many thought would wind up at a big program.

Again, take it for what it's worth from ****erson but he seemed to be on board with Jones and blames the administration for everything.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24702890/eric-****erson-on-smu-if-they-dont-want-to-do-anything-just-kill-the-program

Ponying up for a Morris is obviously a bigger step than we've taken in the last decade plus (although I'm not sold on Morris) but that also could just be the doing of a wealthy booster or two opening his wallet. I'm just saying that I was surprised to hear all the grumblings after Jones walked out about the administration there.

Good fit for them.

Thank god we won't have to hear cats suggesting him for HC anymore.

Also, more evidence that private schools with **** attendance can spend as much as their public school counterparts.

Advertisement
Since when is chad Morris a fantastic hbc? He was just in HS a few years ago and I haven't been terribly impressed with clemson' offense the past few years. Can someone enlighten me?

And now Clemson will suck again.

Not a chance. Clemson had highest paid coordinators and rest assured Dabo will go find the best OC and pay $1.5M.
Don't be shocked if he goes and hires Frost or Montgomery

Lol @ Clemson will suck again, compared to who? Us? Its amazing how some ppl think on here.

This season was the first time since 2011 that Clemson lost to an ACC team other then FSU.

Losing Vic Beasly will be a bigger loss for them

Advertisement
Pretty sure Morris was a very successful HS football coach in Texas. Makes a lot of sense for him to get back

And now Clemson will suck again.

Not a chance. Clemson had highest paid coordinators and rest assured Dabo will go find the best OC and pay $1.5M.
Don't be shocked if he goes and hires Frost or Montgomery

Lol @ Clemson will suck again, compared to who? Us? Its amazing how some ppl think on here.

This season was the first time since 2011 that Clemson lost to an ACC team other then FSU.

Losing Vic Beasly will be a bigger loss for them

No doubt. Any time you lose a Finalist for the Bednarik Award, it's going to hurt your team. I don't think losing Chad Morris will hurt Clemson all that much. They've already shown and proven that they can go out and identify good coordinators and spend the money needed for them.

Advertisement
Back