2024 CB Board (2024 Edition)

There is a lot of hyperbole here
You’d be surprised to learn who else on here thinks this as well. Have you seen where our pass defense rankings are right now?

IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg

And we haven’t exactly played murderers’ row yet.

Advertisement
@RVACane is right though we will give up a lot of big plays bs teams coming up like fsu clemsdump. That’s my biggest worry is the defense because of interior depth. Blue chip depth that is

And Damari Brown is a stud but you can’t leave kids on an island with no pressure. Most Wr’s will get open
We’ve got a couple pieces but overall our CB recruiting has been subpar. Addae isn’t part of the solution either. Our pass defense is towards the bottom of CFB

We’ve got a couple pieces but overall our CB recruiting has been subpar. Addae isn’t part of the solution either. Our pass defense is towards the bottom of CFB
I think it’s cause we have to blitz and don’t have enough up front imo. So eventually it will get better but not this season lol. We got guys and it’s going in the right direction but Addae and MC got to land more studs. Hey if Mario almost got Cormani he can land them…..I feel like low key Mario has to lift some guys on staff and do the recruiting at times.

@RVACane is right though we will give up a lot of big plays bs teams coming up like fsu clemsdump. That’s my biggest worry is the defense because of interior depth. Blue chip depth that is

I agree we will…I said coming into season (as many did on here), CB is the weakest position on the team…I have been pleasantly surprised with.

And realize…EVERYONE is giving up big plays in college football. The key is how many?

Our pass defense is towards the bottom of CFB

No it isn't…Not even close.

Not by old school stats or new age metrics. Where you getting this stuff from?

38th in yards per pass…63rd in passing yards per game for starters

EPA Per pass
Success Rate
Explosiveness…All top 3rd (or just outside)

Top 25 in opposing QB Ratings

Etc, Etc,

Do I think it's elite…At this time? No…We will see against FSU and maybe one or two others.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Everyone please go to my week 5 stat roll thread on the main page. The pass defense isn’t nearly as bad as just looking at pass yards per game is telling you. That’s not the right way to do this at all. Go look at the other numbers.

EPA Per pass
Success Rate

Etc, Etc,

Do I think it's elite…At this time? No…We will see against FSU and maybe one or two others.

It looks like you are including non-FBS opponents (like BC) in those stats. @RVACane is using the FBS only stats, which have us 90th in passing yards allowed per game. I generally prefer the stats that only use data involving FBS opponents, too.

Everyone please go to my week 5 stat roll thread on the main page. The pass defense isn’t nearly as bad as just looking at pass yards per game is telling you. That’s not the right way to do this at all. Go look at the other numbers.

Yup, the passing yards per attempt numbers are much better.

EPA Per pass
Success Rate

Etc, Etc,

Yes it is. 90th. And we’ve played 1 real team. we have UNC, Clemson, Louisville and FSU ahead of us.

IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg

Advertisement
It looks like you are including non-FBS opponents (like BC) in those stats. @RVACane is using the FBS only stats, which have us 90th in passing yards allowed per game. I generally prefer the stats that only use data involving FBS opponents, too.

That's fair…But even then…90th I guess technically is "towards the bottom"…But when I hear that towards the bottom I'm thinking like bottom 10-20 teams.

Also…That's one category, and probably the least important of any I mentioned. So where do we rank yard per pass vs. BCS only?

Advertisement
FBS Only using the site you guys mentioned in this thread.

Yards per attempt = 33rd
Comp percentage= 26th
Yards per completion= 38th
Int Per game (I'll admit, not as indicative as the other stuff, but still nice to have lol)= 20 way tie for 13th
Interception Percentage= 48

And again we grade out well in the more advanced stuff which I mentioned, and OBM has posted here.

Again I'm not under the assumption we have an elite pass defense. But it's definitely been above average so far. The real test will be FSU.

I didn't read it, if I have time I'll check it out, thanks...

But it sounds like we are on the same page.

Advertisement
So pretty good rush defense, slightly above average pass defense through 4 games, when adjusted by quality of opponent. They have exceeded my expectations. Hopefully they keep it up against the remaining ACC schedule.

VERY good rush defense. There are only 8 P5 teams better. We have been elite against the run. Above average pass defense.

We are 33rd in yards per attempt.

We can pick apart every team's schedule, some will be better, others worse…

If you are going to use schedule….Realize we have leads…So of course there are going to be more "yards per game"
We need more cover CB’s with real speed and fewer slow South Florida 3 star tackling machine bro CB’s. We also need to be gone with Addae.

We will see soon enough on the field, Skeets.

We need more cover CB’s with real speed and fewer slow South Florida 3 star tackling machine bro CB’s. We also need to be gone with Addae.

We will see soon enough on the field, Skeets.

I don't see any of this, and I don't even know what you mean by a 3*tackling bro...but I agree we learn alot against flu and others.

I think they've been a pleasant surprise and while I agree the talent overall needs to improve, I think last year was a good start in that aspect.

But either way, nothing statistically, including a skewed 90th ranked in passing yards, bears out what you are saying re Addae... That was my point.

Advertisement
Back