Canes baseball finally wins a series. Who are the building blocks for the future?

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Miami had a winning weekend, taking two out of three from the BYU Cougars. Javi Salas, who threw the 23rd perfect game in D1 history for the Canes, joined the CanesInSight Podcast with his thoughts on Miami’s potential building blocks for the future:

On the strong finish of 3B Daniel Cuvet: What would this team be without Daniel Cuvet? This weekend, you saw exactly the kind of lift he can give a struggling ballclub. We miss Blake Cyr and Jason Torres, so Cuvet is on the...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
The building blocks are first admitting a big mistake was made hiring JD. This is a business, not a golden parachute for a mediocre employee that managed to hang around way longer than he should have. A proven program builder, talent recruiter, and developer of talent is what’s needed.

And to answer your question, pal: Why am I here? I came here because Mitch and Murray asked me to. They asked me for a favor. I said, the real favor, follow my advice and fire JD’s *** because a loser is a loser.

If we take a big portal hall we better nail it with the freshman we keep and not lose track of the guys we have on the roster.

Jd has a lot of fronts to fight in the coming weeks. Leave one open and it could destroy hard work in another area.

Ok. I am not slurping here. All I am saying is that it's not like the program is destitute. We were a #6 seed in the national tournament in 2022. We were JUST outside of the top 8 in 2023. There is plenty to sell here. I agree that JD was a mistake. There is still a chance to right the ship especially with the NCAA moving to open scholarships to baseball (The guys up here in Durham at BA) seem to think it will happen.

The change won't go into effect until after the 2025 year. Forward thinking is that we get a coach with fire and passion in place for that season and start selling the program. It's a whole new ball game when Miami can go up north and into the deep southern states and hand out the equivalent of a scholarship that FSU/Florida can.

We need a coach with fire and passion to weather through what will be another down year in 2025. If you think we will pull in a strong haul through the portal with our scholarships being twice as much as a state school, you are wrong. The South Florida kids are mostly soft outside of a select few. JD gets mad when kids celebrate a game winning homerun because he is a secondary player. Kids celebrate now days. It's ok.

New coaching regime NOT tied to Miami. Whether the 2025 season. THEN watch what happens when a kid can go to Miami on a full ride vs going to Gainsville or Tallahassee. Those kids from Jacksonville, Tampa, and Northeast Georgia (Cobb County) will come to Miami. But it's all dependent on JD being replaced along with his coaching staff.

And no, The Cora brothers are not the answer. I am tired of slick fielding kids from South Florida sliding down to one knee and still missing the *&*(*&^ ball or throwing it into the stands. Or taking the first two pitches and swinging at a ball for strike three.

Last edited:
After Drad's average hire of Monte Lee, the next AD Graham Neff canned Lee, went our hired a real HC with no ties to Clemson or the state of SC, and Bakich is arguably coach of the year.

Just not sure why AD's can't make good hires when you have data points like hey this guy took Michigan to a CWS.

FSU hires real coach turns it around quickly.

Advertisement
JD needs to have a sit down maybe before the season and ask if he’s willing to work three times as hard to get this right or get out of the way for someone who will…

If he does stay he needs to go beg his buddies who vouched for him to kick in some serious NIL coffer money to let him get some plug and play players… which will need to be almost an entire pitching staff sadly after draft entrees

JD needs to have a sit down maybe before the season and ask if he’s willing to work three times as hard to get this right or get out of the way for someone who will…

If he does stay he needs to go beg his buddies who vouched for him to kick in some serious NIL coffer money to let him get some plug and play players… which will need to be almost an entire pitching staff sadly after draft entrees
I have no faith that a huge influx of NIL cash will change anything. Ziehl is a top 100 prospect, Rafe will be drafted relatively high, Cyr, Torres, Cuvet, are all top level talent, Long, Carrier, etc are all solid complementary pieces. This team isn’t CWS talented but it’s also not sub 500 talented.

After Drad's average hire of Monte Lee, the next AD Graham Neff canned Lee, went our hired a real HC with no ties to Clemson or the state of SC, and Bakich is arguably coach of the year.

Just not sure why AD's can't make good hires when you have data points like hey this guy took Michigan to a CWS.

FSU hires real coach turns it around quickly.

I think it can be difficult to hire a great coach. Look at all the good schools on the football side going through coaches left and right…

Our problem is that we really only look at a small Miami centric list and that makes it even more difficult on ourselves…

We basically take a hard process, tie one hand behind our back and then close our eyes to all the data you suggest until our eyes see the predetermined answer…

I think it can be difficult to hire a great coach. Look at all the good schools on the football side going through coaches left and right…

Our problem is that we really only look at a small Miami centric list and that makes it even more difficult on ourselves…

We basically take a hard process, tie one hand behind our back and then close our eyes to all the data you suggest until our eyes see the predetermined answer…
We interviewed Paul Maineri and Chris Pollard, and hired JD.

Maineri went to 6 CWS and won a NC.

Pollard has taken Duke to 5 NCAA tournaments, and won an ACC title.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back