Baseball Recruiting

Anyone follow recruiting. Seem like every year we get top prospects committed, only to watch them leave through the draft

I know Green is a big time prospect, and Mule who re-classed to '22 I think.

I just dont know a lot about the guys we're bringing in out of high school, I know we can work the portal as well.

Advertisement
Anyone follow recruiting. Seem like every year we get top prospects committed, only to watch them leave through the draft

I know Green is a big time prospect, and Mule who re-classed to '22 I think.

I just dont know a lot about the guys we're bringing in out of high school, I know we can work the portal as well.
Seems we've done better recently in getting the top 10 round types who want to go to school or are late bloomers (Ligon, Ziehl, Carrier, etc last class). Smaller draft and NIL $$ should help.

I'd imagine we have no shot at Green.

Seems we've done better recently in getting the top 10 round types who want to go to school or are late bloomers (Ligon, Ziehl, Carrier, etc last class). Smaller draft and NIL $$ should help.

Mule is a great looking two-way player. Something to be said about a kid who can touch 100 off the bump, but is a natural SS with big time power.

Ray Bermudez at LF & Adrian Dominguez at 3B are supposed to be two good bats for us.

Cole Derks looks to be a potential good arm as well, he’s not really gassing it with a high 90’s 4 seamer, but from what I’ve seen of his stuff he’s got a nice breaking ball & most of his pitches are within the 87-90mph range. Which means he should be mainly throwing Sliders & Cutters with nice a Changeup in the mix.

Advertisement
I wish we would have looked at Anthony Tralongo (3B from Heritage Delray) earlier. Great kid from up my way. Top 20 player in the State of Florida, but he has been committed to Auburn since his Sophomore year.

Mule is a great looking two-way player. Something to be said about a kid who can touch 100 off the bump, but is a natural SS with big time power.
Let's hope we get him to campus - he's currently #83 on MLB's Top 150 for the '22 draft.

Advertisement
Baseball dad question. How are these kids getting recruited/committing while theyre in 8th-10th grade? Is it purely from these PG showcases? Seems crazy to me schools would offer that young, not knowing how theyll develop. Any tips for a dad once they get to middle school?

Baseball dad question. How are these kids getting recruited/committing while theyre in 8th-10th grade? Is it purely from these PG showcases? Seems crazy to me schools would offer that young, not knowing how theyll develop. Any tips for a dad once they get to middle school?
It's all from showcases. They don't give a **** the numbers you're kid is putting up in 8th grade. They don't even care much anymore what their high school stats are - they just focus on the performances and metrics in showcases and travel ball. The recruiters and scouts go to fewer and fewer high school games every year and aren't soliciting as much input from HS coaches.
Yes it is crazy they are offering that young, and I don't think they should. It's non-binding, however. That kid that hit puberty early and dominated can easily get overtaken by his peers once they catch up physically.
Anyway, thinking about getting your son recruited before middle school is a waste of time. I don't remember the number, but the percentage of kids that play after Little League (about age 12) is about 10%. So 90% of those kids that had baseball dreams are gone after 12. It's even more by the time they get to high school. They lose interest, play another sport, or just find out that they're not good enough to keep advancing in the sport.
If your kid is still going strong by his junior year, then get him showcase exposure and start the process. The chances of him playing college ball are minute, so just enjoy the process and the time spent watching and coaching him.

Advertisement

A tip for dad? Let your son enjoy playing baseball and put the money everyone else is spending on travel ball into a 529 plan. Not saying to avoid travel ball altogether. Just don't go overboard like so many parents do. Travel ball is useful for elite players. But very few players are elite, even though their parents think they are. 95% of the players in a travel ball tournament are only there so that the elite 5% can play games. But they all paid to be there.

If your son shows some promise, identify a half dozen colleges that would seem to be a good fit and go to their camps. They will let you know if your son is a prospect or not.

It's all from showcases. They don't give a **** the numbers you're kid is putting up in 8th grade. They don't even care much anymore what their high school stats are - they just focus on the performances and metrics in showcases and travel ball. The recruiters and scouts go to fewer and fewer high school games every year and aren't soliciting as much input from HS coaches.
Yes it is crazy they are offering that young, and I don't think they should. It's non-binding, however. That kid that hit puberty early and dominated can easily get overtaken by his peers once they catch up physically.
Anyway, thinking about getting your son recruited before middle school is a waste of time. I don't remember the number, but the percentage of kids that play after Little League (about age 12) is about 10%. So 90% of those kids that had baseball dreams are gone after 12. It's even more by the time they get to high school. They lose interest, play another sport, or just find out that they're not good enough to keep advancing in the sport.
If your kid is still going strong by his junior year, then get him showcase exposure and start the process. The chances of him playing college ball are minute, so just enjoy the process and the time spent watching and coaching him.
This right here...its all non binding.
Technically colleges are not allowed to contact a player until sometime in June, I believe, after his/her sophomore year. That does not mean that a player cannot contact a coach, vie email, text, phone, etc. Players can also attend as many showcases, camps, etc., that said coaches are attending as well, and communicate with these coaches.

The offer is no different than an offer for an upper-class player, nothing but an offer. However as long as there is an offer, that player can sign a LOI when the time comes. Up until that point any offer can be pulled. Most of these offers are just to play, until scholarship numbers are determined. Usually jr or sr. barely 1% of all athletes get full athletic rides, and for men, its ONLY in D1 Football & D1 basketball. All other athletic scholarships can be combined with other scholarships (academic, federal, etc.). Also, these offers only last from one year to the next, and technically have to be renewed, or your offer expires.

But basically when you see all these kids committing early, its not a smart thing to do, but more about bragging.

A tip for dad? Let your son enjoy playing baseball and put the money everyone else is spending on travel ball into a 529 plan. Not saying to avoid travel ball altogether. Just don't go overboard like so many parents do. Travel ball is useful for elite players. But very few players are elite, even though their parents think they are. 95% of the players in a travel ball tournament are only there so that the elite 5% can play games. But they all paid to be there.

If your son shows some promise, identify a half dozen colleges that would seem to be a good fit and go to their camps. They will let you know if your son is a prospect or not.
Couldnt have said it better, aside from encouraging your son to have another career path as well and ask him to consider that part of his college choices at the same time

Advertisement

We'll do better since MLB has decreased the number of draft rounds.

Advertisement
Back