Any Theories On Why Stacy Coley Turned Into Khalil Jones?

sophomore slump and injuries

Boom to this. I find it funny that people seem to reference Lance Leggett when speaking of Sophomore slumps but nobody ever seems to mention guys like Sammy Watkins (who had an AWFUL sophomore year after going ape$hit as a freshmen), Marquise Lee (A guy who had sick freshmen and sophomore years but went in teh tank as a Junior) and countless others. Those are just the recent guys.

He will bounce back. You can tell something is up with him. Those shots he took in Game 1 really messed his head up and he isnt 100% health wise. This will be no Lance Leggett part 2. I think he will bounce back like Sammy did. He just has to get in a rhythm.

Advertisement
He's played shook since Louisville. He might be still banged up but he sulks an awful lot on the field. Some guys can work through their issues and some guys mope. I don't think he's quite the latter, but his injuries combined with his big drops and general inactivity on offense has led to a detached/disengaged approach to the games.

Which is the same attitude that some detractors felt was a knock on him coming out of HS.

All facts.

Sophmore slump. It's common with freshman phenoms. Amari cooper Sammy Watkins both had sophmore slumps also. He'll get right by week 6 or so.

He just looks lost on the field. The same intensity he played with last season just seems to be gone. He hasn't hit a hole hard an kr or pr all season. And he just looks like he's careless on the field. Hopefully he'll hit a big homerun and it'll pull out of it.

Coley as a freshman was nowhere near as productive and consistent as Cooper or Watkins.

Advertisement
He's played shook since Louisville. He might be still banged up but he sulks an awful lot on the field. Some guys can work through their issues and some guys mope. I don't think he's quite the latter, but his injuries combined with his big drops and general inactivity on offense has led to a detached/disengaged approach to the games.

Which is the same attitude that some detractors felt was a knock on him coming out of HS.

Look like it, cause the talent is there. It just looks like the heart and effort are missing.

I have not seen anything from Stacey Coley indicating he deserves more play time. Gotta earn it by making plays in practice and in the game.

Advertisement
I'm chalking this up to playcalling and and playing tentative because of being banged up early. The lack of creativity in getting him the ball is astounding. I don't see trying to get him open by using certain route combos, different alignments, different routes. Give him some of those sweeps where the QB flicks the ball forward while Coley comes across. Low risk for Kaaya and could be a game breaking play. So much more could be done to show his strengths.

Kid is being misused. They think he's taking every screen 80 yds like he did against VT last year and the problem is those are really the only routes he's running.

I understand he had a huge drop sat. night that would've gone for 6, but you still have to take some more shots to him down the field to get his confidence back.

I don't know why people continue to compare him to Cooper and Watkins, far superior receivers, when he isn't even in that realm.

Coley has basically been Ted Ginn since his arrival; a put the ball in his hands and make a play type of receiver. He doesn't run good routes, isn't elusive enough to shed tackles, not strong enough to outplay the DB, and his football IQ is low. He's been like that since a freshman so the "his shoulder" comments are a bit comical. I do agree that Coley needs to call more plays for Stacy to get him more involved but injuries, sophomore slump, etc. comments are excuses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
James Burgess jr took his soul in the louisville game. He hasnt played the same since. Kaaya was affected by his hit from Burgess too but it wore off and didnt linger into the next game.

But coley is coming off an injury and that hit probably tweaked it. Hes prob reluctant to get physical because of it.

Burgess hits like a train...I was at the Louisville games. You could see up close how nasty he gets on the field.

Well, actually you could see it when he ripped Crawfords head off twice in the bowl game last year. lol

Advertisement
Back