Coaching Adam Schefter: Joe Brady likely to stay in the NFL

Not a fan of Ken Dorsey, he's never coached in college or been a OC

While i'm usually against bringing in former players as coaches just bc they are former players, like it's a requirement or something, Dorsey is an exception. He's the one guy i would ignore that for bc of a few reasons:
- He was a true leader and film junkie when he was a player here.
- He's seemingly done well in every role he's had in the NFL.
- He's building his rep from the ground up in the NFL, putting in the time.
- Feedback from coaches, players, etc seems to always be positive and reference how smart the guy is.

So IF i'm taking a risk on a guy who's never been an OC, i'm taking a risk on the guy who played QB and has labels of being a film rat and incredibly smart.

Advertisement
With the amount of big money in college football, I'm not sure what the fascination is with staying in the NFL. (besides the rumor Brady doesn't like to recruit). He can be an elite level OC at Miami with the talent we have and are about to acquire, where in the NFL we already saw what happened to Brady with the panthers and their non-championship caliber roster. I think Brady going back to the NFL is a risky move if he fails at his next spot. Miami would be a safer move in my opinion, where he can be here long term if he wants (as a highly paid coordinator) or likely lands P5 head coaching offers within the next 2-3 years.
College has recruiting and limited practice. The NFL nearly 100% coaching, 24/7. A football junky’s dream.

Advertisement
You wait for Brady unless somebody like Briles wants to come.

But, do not go out and hire somebody like Ponce...don't settle. Candidates like Ponce, Coley, etc. will be there for the taking weeks from now.

Agreed, Ponce isn't going anywhere. No one is clamoring for him; he's the ultimate "safety" valve if we strike out on everyone.

Ponce is the one non-P5/Non-NFL guy that I wouldn't blink at if he got the job.

Yeah don't get me confused with propping him up - I'd take like 40 names over him.

he ain't getting offers to prominent schools for a reason.

The Qbs under Dorsey have flourished. Newton MVP, Allen is a baller! My only concern will be does he want to recruit. That might be the toughest part of college coaching.
we dont need every coach to be an elite recruiter. that's what we have mario for. we need good, technical coaches. they are the ones that develop kids. we need a balance between recruiting and elite coaches.

Advertisement
While i'm usually against bringing in former players as coaches just bc they are former players, like it's a requirement or something, Dorsey is an exception. He's the one guy i would ignore that for bc of a few reasons:
- He was a true leader and film junkie when he was a player here.
- He's seemingly done well in every role he's had in the NFL.
- He's building his rep from the ground up in the NFL, putting in the time.
- Feedback from coaches, players, etc seems to always be positive and reference how smart the guy is.

So IF i'm taking a risk on a guy who's never been an OC, i'm taking a risk on the guy who played QB and has labels of being a film rat and incredibly smart.

would be a great hire, but he's getting an NFL OC job next spring if he wants one.

Dorsey is in line for an NFL job whether that's the Bills if Daboll gets hired or somewhere else.
He ain't coming here.

Advertisement
A few things:
1) The NFL is so much different than the college game that you can't assume a NFL offense or OC will work well in college
2) Joe Brady's value includes a lot of assumptions

On point 2. Brady introduced passing concepts at LSU that he learned while he was an assistant on the Saints (2 years). Joe Brady's offense worked great for LSU but with the talent they had, you can't rule out that Lashlee or someone else would have performed just as well. The NFL knows when players are part of a system or have NFL talent. Joe Borrow was taken number 1 because it was believed that he is the most talented QB available and not because he was the product of some system. Ken Dorsey was a 7th round pick because he was a product of the players around him.

My point is Joe Brady is a fired NFL OC that introduced passing concepts that he didn't invent and had another OC call the plays. There is no evidence that suggest Joe would be good at recruiting. Joe isn't taking this job because he knows the expectations would be too high. What would happen if Joe didn't do as well with TVD as Lashlee? There is too much risk for Joe to accept this job when he can ride out his 1 year performance at LSU for another NFL OC job and then a major college OC job once he gets fired again in the NFL. Joe knows the price for a college OC will probably go up a lot after this season as schools look to protected their investment in head coaches.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back