Coaching "A difficult offense to defend."

Advertisement
They think if they keep it in house it will be smooth transition! Kinda, like if gattis leaves then hypothetically ponce could step in?
nah, at least Ponce has called plays at a D1 school. Clemson's guy hasn't even been an on field coach until now.

This, he said, “is a hard offense to defend,” Ponce told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki. “No. 1, being able to run the football. You’ve got to be tough and physical up front.

“At the same time, we have play-action passes and drop back. We have outside zone and inside zone. We have a variety of run plays. It keeps defenses off balance because you don’t know which one is coming.”

There’s more variety to UM’s offense than was the case under predecessor Rhett Lashlee, who was highly skilled in pushing the pace with a traditional spread. There are spreads elements to UM’s new offense, but a lot more than that, too.

There’s a particular new play — which we won’t reveal — that UM has been running repeatedly in practice and is convinced will be very effective.
So here's my question.

Can a team run a spread offense and still have a power running game and what team best represents that from last year?

Advertisement
If the talent levels are equal, the best offense smokes the best defense in today’s game. Look what happened when Alabama played Georgia in the SEC championship game when they were at full strength. The passing game is the great equalizer. You can shut down run heavy offenses by throwing numbers at them. We saw Georgia make Michigan look like central Michigan in the playoffs when they couldn’t consistently run the football. You can’t defend the pass quite as easily.

Advertisement
So here's my question.

Can a team run a spread offense and still have a power running game and what team best represents that from last year?
Tennessee is probably the best example of that from last year. The problem with “power spread” offenses is they require quarterbacks who are pretty much run-first guys. UT’s leading rusher was their quarterback. Oregon’s offense last year under Joe Moorehead is another example. I’m not a fan of those types of systems because you tend to end up with a Hendon Hooker or Anthony Brown as your quarterback and I don’t trust those guys to beat anyone decent with their arms.

Recent Alabama offenses are generally spread offenses that can usually overpower you with the ground game. But they’re not really doing anything special scheme wise. No special playbook or anything. Just better players at every position. When you’ve got All Americans at every position, you can pretty much do what you want. If you try to replicate Bama without the huge talent advantage, it’s not going to work as well.

Advertisement

This, he said, “is a hard offense to defend,” Ponce told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki. “No. 1, being able to run the football. You’ve got to be tough and physical up front.

“At the same time, we have play-action passes and drop back. We have outside zone and inside zone. We have a variety of run plays. It keeps defenses off balance because you don’t know which one is coming.”

There’s more variety to UM’s offense than was the case under predecessor Rhett Lashlee, who was highly skilled in pushing the pace with a traditional spread. There are spreads elements to UM’s new offense, but a lot more than that, too.

There’s a particular new play — which we won’t reveal — that UM has been running repeatedly in practice and is convinced will be very effective.
Will we be able to pick up a 1st down when its 4th and 1?

Seriously, IGAF if they know the play that’s coming, if we can execute and still beat them. This staff seems to be the kind that can teach mechanics and nuances. I’m feeling good about it.

Advertisement
There are very few offenses that can’t be stopped. GA shut down Michigan last year with the same O. I would like to hear the coaches talking about how we’ve improved on technique, physicality, and metal sharpness. This is how we can win the ACC. I believe Mario will get us there.
Georgia also had a nasty once in a decade type of defense. It was tough sledding against them unless you had bama’s type of receivers.

As always before, the season's hopes rest with a below average OL.

I guess we will see just how good this staff is to see if they can even get average play out of rhat unit.

Obviously the big test will be game 3...

Advertisement
Back