#93 Campbell

You said they are an age game but then use a different rationale on Samson that is not being even a year on the team plus he was injured last season while being on rotation.
you'd like to see flashes and i'll be the first to admit, i'm not plugged in at all, all i know is what i saw saturday and dmoney's practice reviews ... my comment in regards to not seeing is based on the fact that he was a five star kid ... light may come on over the summer

Advertisement
Ya our OL sucks.

Nailed it.
it doesn't i think we have 3 good pieces, one was out out this spring ... i just expected to see more push upfront, our backs had no room to run ... also, there's no warmups this year, it's live rounds game one

We sucked last year so I forgive people for not fully realizing how lucky we got with our OL. They started every game together. The “weak link” was a true freshman freak of nature right tackle

I’m not too worried about the spring game but some these young guys gotta have a big summer

We sucked last year so I forgive people for not fully realizing how lucky we got with our OL. They started every game together. The “weak link” was a true freshman freak of nature right tackle

I’m not too worried about the spring game but some these young guys gotta have a big summer
that's it ... line play is an age game, you'd like to think that 5star kids can produce earlier to live up to their lofty rankings ... we also have some big kids, hopefully someone separates as this year we're not easing into our schedule, aug. 31st can be a program changer for us

Advertisement
@DMoney has been hyping up us having more tackles than guards, but while body size and length says that performance has not shown any of those cats can handle tackle.

McCoy-He may he better suited for tackle, not sure he has the strength yet to battle inside.

Samson-I know he was a 5 star, but he has not impressed me at all last spring or this spring. He looks stiff, and his lateral mobility doesnt look great. He is NOT ready to start at Tackle, maybe guard.

Kinsler-I mean we havent seen too much, but man i just think this dude is a guard all the way. While he is a good athlete, not sure he has light feet to play effectively at tackle, and in space.

Now on the other hand Markel Bell has shown you he has that length, and ability to be light on his feet to play on the edge in space.

Also, Mauigoa best position may also be guard. He led team in holding penalties, and sacks allowed by a large margin, struggled some with speed off the edge. I know he was a freshman.

I will say this we have some talented big bodied OL on this roster now. It looks like how it should look. We should have a good OL for years to come. With that said the only OL on this roster that will play Tackle in the NFL full time is Markel Bell IMO.

Rivers could play some tackle, but i think he will move around. All those other young cats are guards.
What are you basing this on? Forums? Guesswork? The spring "game"? Unless you're at practices and in the film room watching practice cut ups, I'm not sure how any of us can make any of the conclusions you came to.

Advertisement
rivers was all acc (2nd team) ...

I get it but his position is G IMO and we’re weak at one G spots. I don’t hope he’s moved unless there is a capable dude for LT. IF someone steps up at T and Rivers slides inside that means guys like McCoy and Kinsler are coming off the bench now instead of potentially starting. Makes for a more solid 1st and 2nd group.

it doesn't i think we have 3 good pieces, one was out out this spring ... i just expected to see more push upfront, our backs had no room to run ... also, there's no warmups this year, it's live rounds game one
In all fairness, it's a spring game where the main objective is to avoid injuries. I don't think mauling each other in the trenches was the goal. Point is, I'm not judging the oline in this game.

In all fairness, it's a spring game where the main objective is to avoid injuries. I don't think mauling each other in the trenches was the goal. Point is, I'm not judging the oline in this game.
fair ... just don't think we're at the point program wise to go out and go through the motions ... uf is suspect, but they went hard (pause) in their spring game ... could be water under the bridge, i can't call it

Advertisement
I saw Jayden Wayne absolutely destroy Samson on a swim move.

Hopefully Wayne has just improved that much bc if not, Samson is not ready yet.
and it's hard for me to accept the "they weren't going hard, it was a recruiting event, etc. etc." narrative ... if that was the case who was going half speed, jayden wayne or samson ... campbell or mccoy ... c'mon now

and it's hard for me to accept the "they weren't going hard, it was a recruiting event, etc. etc." narrative ... if that was the case who was going half speed, jayden wayne or samson ... campbell or mccoy ... c'mon now
Guys say the same chit about the HS All-American games "They're just walking around bro" but if Guy A walks and Guy B walks, and Guy A abuses guy B- guy A sucks.

Advertisement
Nobody was going half speed. Mario wouldn't even allow that in practices.

I can believe they were going for head decapitating tackles, but nah, they were all definitely playing hard. Why wouldn't they be?

Nobody was going half speed. Mario wouldn't even allow that in practices.

I can believe they were going for head decapitating tackles, but nah, they were all definitely playing hard. Why wouldn't they be?
it's been posted that you can't draw any conclusions from the game as it was a recruiting event, etc etc ... i'm not coach macho, lance roffers, or any of the x's and o's guys ... i'm not in practice, all i can say is based on what i saw ... mccoy had campbell looking like a guy that can contribute ... okunloa isn't ready ...

to be fair, rivers was suspect last spring game, he grinded over the summer, the oline gelled and he became all conference ... that's not out of the realm of possibility in this situation either

I get it but his position is G IMO and we’re weak at one G spots. I don’t hope he’s moved unless there is a capable dude for LT. IF someone steps up at T and Rivers slides inside that means guys like McCoy and Kinsler are coming off the bench now instead of potentially starting. Makes for a more solid 1st and 2nd group.
Mirabal already stated they dont want to move him.. I know @JHallCanes made suggestion and it makes alot of sense that possibly Mauigoa could move and that would open the right spot for someone to step up in..

Not sure how mauigoa would feel about the move tho.. Most dont want to move back inside once they have a tackle spot

So we are using a fan fest/recruiting event/glorified half-scrimmage (that was really only a half) to determine that:

A) Campbell is a really solid backup and shouldn’t hit the portal
B) McCoy “ain’t it”
C) Samson is “atrocious.”
D) We don’t have any OL depth

Cool
I guess people really ignored my "Spring Game doesn't matter" post. Oh well @DTP

Advertisement
Back