Corch Pillar Recruiting 101: Joseph Wicker

algoldenshair

Freshman
Long Beach (Calif.) Poly defensive lineman*Joseph Wicker*felt like he could always count on Miami after they were one of his earliest offers.

Wicker’s (6-2, 265) trust was never in question until how things have been going more recently, and now he’s not sure of the next step.

“I haven’t talked to them at all so that’s the deal,” Wicker said. “I’m not sure why and I don’t know how to feel right now. I’m still looking at them, they’re up there, but I would like to find out what the situation is.”

Wicker has been following along with the proceedings of the Hurricanes’ season. That actually served as one of the reasons his interest has remained despite the lull in communication.

“I’ve definitely been keeping up and they’re a young team,” Wicker said. “I heard they need depth at my position and their coaches said the same thing a bunch of times. Miami is still a great school that always produces a lot of good defensive linemen.”

Wicker has ten BCS offers from Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Miami, Notre Dame, Oregon State, Texas Tech, UCLA, Washington, and Washington State. He has known for awhile his recruitment would come down to how his trips went.

“I don’t really have a top five now but I’m getting ready for visits though,” Wicker said. “My first one is going to be in November so I can see Texas Tech. Probably the other four will be after the season and then I can pick on signing day.”

Wicker always had a national offer list from the early stages but he had expressed a desire to consider schools in closer proximity. UCLA made that a reality for him soon after the season got going.

“It was cool because I had known the coaches for a long time, ever since I was a freshman,” Wicker said. “It gave me another option and opened up my mind a little more about the recruiting process. Now I can think about going to a home town school if I decide it’s something I want to do.”

Wicker said his parents aren’t pushing the distance aspect though. Even more generally, he dismissed the impact of his family’s ideas on his decision making.

“Not necessarily, they’re going for whatever I go for and letting me make my own choices,” Wicker said. “Everyone in my family tries to get involved with telling me where I should go. It’s not hard to block out because they don’t know what they’re talking about half the time. I figured that out a long time ago.”

Wicker is a four star prospect according to the 247Sports Composite, ranking him 17th in the nation at his position and 24th overall in the state of California.*

Advertisement
“I haven’t talked to them at all so that’s the deal,” Wicker said. “I’m not sure why and I don’t know how to feel right now. I’m still looking at them, they’re up there, but I would like to find out what the situation is.”

Many fans criticized Shannon for quitting on recruiting, but a quote like this from someone who should be a top priority at a dire position of need raises a major red flag.

The staff hasn't gone to see Tim Irvin at a Westminster game all season. They outright stopped recruiting Cronkrite and f***ed up his recruitment so badly that he decommitted. Spence has expressed frustration at a lack of communication. In-state DBs who are having great seasons like Hoggins and Fenton still don't have offers from us. And now Wicker is saying he hasn't talked to the staff at all.

There has been absolutely zero buzz in recruiting since the season started, which isn't surprising considering how it's gone thus far. But what is this staff even doing at this point? Seems like they're quitting on recruiting just like Shannon did.

Last edited:
Golden just throws offers at kids and leaves it at that..if not for kids coming here because of our history, golden would most likely be our worst recruiter in recent memory

Many fans criticized Shannon for quitting on recruiting, but a quote like this from someone who should be a top priority at a dire position of need raises a major red flag.

The staff hasn't gone to see Tim Irvin at a Westminster game all season. They outright stopped recruited Cronkrite and f***ed up his recruitment so badly that he decommitted. Spence has expressed frustration at a lack of communication. In-state DBs who are having great seasons like Hoggins and Fenton still don't have offers from us. And now Wicker is saying he hasn't talked to the staff at all.

There has been absolutely zero buzz in recruiting since the season started, which isn't surprising considering how it's gone thus far. But what is this staff even doing at this point? Seems like they're quitting on recruiting just like Shannon did.

incompetent ...Gary Furman can eat a dikc, tellin those lies about how hard Folden works and blah blah blah

Advertisement
Wouldn't surprise me if Golden wants out and would prefer a buyout.

That might make sense if he was the only coach recruiting. What about our other coaches? What are they doing?

Not doubting the recruit's word but unless the whole coaching staff has quit recruiting, there's something else going on here.

Last edited:
Why in the world would be want a 4 star DE/DT, that's already 260 lbs., from one of the better California football powers? Come on, people, stop being unrealistic. We're stacked on the DL.

Perhaps the staff has cooled on Wicker. Maybe they like someone else. For example, Rasheem Green. It appears Green will take an OV to UM. There's more here than meets the eye.

Advertisement
Perhaps the staff has cooled on Wicker. Maybe they like someone else. For example, Rasheem Green. It appears Green will take an OV to UM. There's more here than meets the eye.

Yeah we're definitely closing on a 5 star DT from USC/UCLA's backyard. That explains it.

This is unacceptable. I can accept losing kids for many reasons, but lack of communication is not one of them. This kid is good enough to take no matter who else might come considering our lack of true depth at the position. There is no excuse for this.

Advertisement

Bruh have you seen our defense? You take both not just one. We wont get either and you can take that to the bank.

Yeah we're definitely closing on a 5 star DT from USC/UCLA's backyard. That explains it.

Yeah and if anyone has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to recruiting DTs, it's these ********.

Advertisement

So the 5-star kid is unrealistic but the 4-star from the same area is realistic and it is a huge recruiting blunder because they've stopped talking to him? They aren't getting anyone of that caliber at that position from there. It is a waste of time. Unless Wicker "just needs to get away from home" might as well forget about it. Even if he did he could just go to Arizona or Oregon or some other Pac-12 school. Our coaches don't have the pull or the W-L record to get it done.

^^^so with this logic...why do we have Brennan Carroll again if he isnt pulling any cali kids in?
oh wait..cause golden is a dumbass and doesnt realize California hates Brennan Carroll

Advertisement
Back