Spring 2023 Spring Games

They legitimately have 3 starting caliber QB’s.

- Walker Howard has the best overall arm talent, but is the least experienced.

- Spencer Sanders has the most experience & with a 35-16 record as a starter, but doesn’t really have a great arm, is a good runner though.

- Jaxson Dart knows the system the best & has good arm talent as well, but doesn’t really bring about the most confidence because he didn’t step up to the plate last year.

I would guess Sanders gets the start, but reports up until the Spring game was that Dart has been leading for most of camp.

Advertisement

Cade looked good in Riley’s Offense, they go Tempo often & their run game has probably been impacted the most by the new system. They’re going to get a lot of quick counter runs & they’re going to work the seams a lot.

Their backup Hunter Helms, sucks ***. Hunter Johnson came back after being at Northwestern but he’s always been a pedestrian passer with a limited arm.

Their biggest issue is they don’t have much speed on the perimeter, they have a lot of size at WR & have some good TE’s that can work the middle of the field, but their Outside Speed is lacking.

Their Defense is absolutely STACKED, especially the DLine & the Secondary has been replenished, but they’re mostly young guys. But this will be another Good Defensive season from Clemson.

Cade looked good in Riley’s Offense, they go Tempo often & their run game has probably been impacted the most by the new system. They’re going to get a lot of quick counter runs & they’re going to work the seams a lot.

Their backup Hunter Helms, sucks ***. Hunter Johnson came back after being at Northwestern but he’s always been a pedestrian passer with a limited arm.

Their biggest issue is they don’t have much speed on the perimeter, they have a lot of size at WR & have some good TE’s that can work the middle of the field, but their Outside Speed is lacking.

Their Defense is absolutely STACKED, especially the DLine & the Secondary has been replenished, but they’re mostly young guys. But this will be another Good Defensive season from Clemson.
I would rather have Miami's WR room than Clemson's.

That defense vastly underperformed for what they had returning in 2022.

Losing Breese, Henry, Simpson, and Murphy I have a hard time seeing too much improvement. Solid, but not what we've seen from them when Venables was running the show.

Advertisement
I would rather have Miami's WR room than Clemson's.

That defense vastly underperformed for what they had returning in 2022.

Losing Breese, Henry, Simpson, and Murphy I have a hard time seeing too much improvement. Solid, but not what we've seen from them when Venables was running the show.
They signed 6 4/5-star DL’s in their 23 class & their 21 class are Juniors now & more integrated into their system.

They still have Tyler Davis, Xavier Thomas, Ruke Orhorhoro, Barrett Carter, Jeremiah Trotter Jr, Nate Wiggins, Jalyn Phillips & Andrew Mukuba, plus the youngster like Jeadyn Lukus, Toriano Pride & TJ Dudley.

Their Defense last year was 17th in points per game, 16th against the run & 4th in sacks & finished 11-3 with losses to Notre Dame, South Carolina & Tennessee, all while having a very average Offense. Outside of the Wake Forest & Notre Dame games, I didn't see too much underperformance.

They signed 6 4/5-star DL’s in their 23 class & their 21 class are Juniors now & more integrated into their system.

They still have Tyler Davis, Xavier Thomas, Ruke Orhorhoro, Barrett Carter, Jeremiah Trotter Jr, Nate Wiggins, Jalyn Phillips & Andrew Mukuba, plus the youngster like Jeadyn Lukus, Toriano Pride & TJ Dudley.

Their Defense last year was 17th in points per game, 16th against the run & 4th in sacks & finished 11-3 with losses to Notre Dame, South Carolina & Tennessee, all while having a very average Offense. Outside of the Wake Forest & Notre Dame games, I didn't see too much underperformance.
I watched them all season wife is a graduate.

They were billed coming into the season as the best DL in college for 2022, and maybe best overall defense. They did not perform to those standards.

I know who they have coming back trust me.
It's hard to replace Breese, Murphy, Simpson, and Henry.

They also have a green DC who is learning on the job.

They were among the elite of elite for so many seasons under Venables. They did not play to that standard last season. The fans and people up here were disappointed in the defense last season.

They were #2 in total defense in 2021 with a worse offense, lose Venables but return basically entire defense including what they believed to be best DL in college football, and dropped to #22.

No don't misread me, they will still be solid defensively, I just think they have taken a step back.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I watched they spring game yesterday and notice the same thing. I feel Clemson passing game will go as far as Cade adlibing skills because those WR on the outside are not getting separation.

Clemson has recruited some big and physical running backs that should help with the running game. Which to me has seem soft since Etienne

The defense is legit. No need to say more.

This will be the USC team from last year.

Score 50 and lose the game because the other team scored 55.
Their WR Corps is actually better this year than it was last year, even with losing Addison.

They’ve loaded up on the Defensive side of the ball over the last 2 classes both in HS & Portal recruiting.

Plus their schedule is very favorable, I think they’re making a playoff run this year.

Advertisement
@Memnon what did you think about the texas A&M spring and FSU games?
TAMU’s passing Offense will be vastly improved with Petrino & Weigman.
They’re still a Bro-style team, but they’ll have more versatility in their passing concepts & can stretch the field.

Evan Stewart is improved after a really good Freshman year & Anias Smith is their speedster, but TF Micah Tease is a burner also, plus Tyrin Smith is an undersized Speedster that they got from UTEP who is a multipurpose Slot-Back that is a weapon in the open field. Then with Muhsin Muhammad II & Noah Thomas they have enough on the outside to pose a real threat moving the ball on the perimeter. They also have a good TE group with Donovan Green, Theo Melvin Ohrstrom & Jake Johnson & they’ll be used a lot in Play Action seam routes.

Their OL is stacked; their Run game is gonna be good as well, Ruben Owens already has come in & hit the ground running as a TF, he moves really well in space & has very good contact balance.

They have one of the most stacked DL’s ever on paper, eventually it has to maturation into something, because they can go 4 lines deep with starting caliber DT’s & DE’s. If Elijah Robinson & DJ Durkin can’t get top level production out of that unit then they’re both half retarded, because it would take a colossal effort to have that much talent on your DLine & still not do anything with it.

Their LB corps spearheaded by Edgerrin Cooper & Chris Russell is fast & active, they’ll work really well against the run. They also have a young LB in Matrell Harris who could be an assets for them in the future.

The biggest question mark about them is their Secondary; they still have Tyreek Chappell who’s their best cover Corner, but losing a young talent like Denver Harris & Marquis Groves-Killebrew to the Portal & Antonio Johnson to the draft isn’t gonna be easy to replace. They picked up Tony Grimes & Sam McCall (to play Nickel) out the Portal but they pretty much continue to struggle with adding Speed into their Secondary, they’re a lot like Bama, Big & Slow on the backend.

It’ll come down to how fast they can get young guys like Bobby Taylor, Bravion Rogers, Jarred Kerr & Jacoby Matthews fully integrated into their system & contributing.

But on paper in terms of pure talent, they easily have one of the 5 best rosters in the Nation; it’s just a matter of how much of a Corch is Jumbo & can he get out of his own way.

I watched they spring game yesterday and notice the same thing. I feel Clemson passing game will go as far as Cade adlibing skills because those WR on the outside are not getting separation.

Clemson has recruited some big and physical running backs that should help with the running game. Which to me has seem soft since Etienne

The defense is legit. No need to say more.

No amount of ad-libbing & Air Raid pixie dust will overcome Clemson's hot trash O-Line.

They legitimately have 3 starting caliber QB’s.

- Walker Howard has the best overall arm talent, but is the least experienced.

- Spencer Sanders has the most experience & with a 35-16 record as a starter, but doesn’t really have a great arm, is a good runner though.

- Jaxson Dart knows the system the best & has good arm talent as well, but doesn’t really bring about the most confidence because he didn’t step up to the plate last year.

I would guess Sanders gets the start, but reports up until the Spring game was that Dart has been leading for most of camp.

No comment 😎

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back