OL Takaylen Muex commits to Miami

View as article
Advertisement
People really in here arguing that we had to take Denis and Logan. How much yall getting paid to be this ****** stupid?
ukaS8wYq.gif

As someone that used to be in the “I blindly trust them with OL”, The OL discussion will be really interesting down the road, from a Miami perspective. It’s too early to declare anyone a bust from his HS OL recruits.

But you can’t call Kinsler, Tinalau, Tripp, Samson or any of the freshmen a hit either, not yet when they haven’t played. Mauigoa is the only one and he was a can’t miss five star (that struggled a lot with the speed rush, but he was a TF so it’s expected).

Lee and Cohen were already starters at their previous destinations and some of the top OL in the portal. Not too much development needed there, and the draft did them very little benefit. McLaughlin, Chris Washington, Ryan Rodriguez (while Manny recruits) surely haven’t been developed enough to be trusted with snaps in-game. They might just not be good enough, not the staff’s fault.

Sagapolu and Denis were just desperate takes, and bad ones at that. Mario actually wanted Cooper as a DT if you guys remember correctly, thank god we didn’t do that and kept him at guard. McCoy is serviceable, just hoping he can make another jump from now til the fall.

And yes, we all know OL is hard to evaluate + takes a long time to develop. This isn’t a **** on Mario post.

As someone that used to be in the “I blindly trust them with OL”, The OL discussion will be really interesting down the road, from a Miami perspective. It’s too early to declare anyone a bust from his HS OL recruits.

But you can’t call Kinsler, Tinalau, Tripp, Samson or any of the freshmen a hit either, not yet when they haven’t played. Mauigoa is the only one and he was a can’t miss five star (that struggled a lot with the speed rush, but he was a TF so it’s expected).

Lee and Cohen were already starters at their previous destinations and some of the top OL in the portal. Not too much development needed there, and the draft did them very little benefit. McLaughlin, Chris Washington, Ryan Rodriguez (while Manny recruits) surely haven’t been developed enough to be trusted with snaps in-game.

Sagapolu and Denis were just desperate takes, and bad ones at that. Mario actually wanted Cooper as a DT if you guys remember correctly, thank god we didn’t do that and kept him at guard. McCoy is serviceable, just hoping he can make another jump from now til the fall.

And yes, we all know OL is hard to evaluate + takes a long time to develop. This isn’t a **** on Mario post.
Mope!

Advertisement
So 3 red shirt freshman need to be in the rotation before you can be “confident” in the evaluation of 2 of the best offensive line coaches in all of college football

Kinsler is in the rotation and has been all spring
Tinalau is out with a back injury
Trip was running with the 3rd team at guard
Why not? That is when the word development come true. As of now Rivers and Cooper were a starter when MC got here, then we portal in a LG and a center. Plus you got a 5 star OT. Is that development? For me development is when that supporting cast get into the rotation.

Mario and Mirabal are the best OL coaches in America.

Whatever you think of Mario, consider this…Al Golden got a job coaching linebackers for the Lions. Say the worst case scenario happens here for Mario here and forgets to take a knee or something and he gets fired. Ok even if that happened, I ******* guarantee you Mario would at a minimum still get hired as the OL coach for some NFL team.

He was the best OL coach Nick Saban ever had. So if he knows nothing else, he knows the offensive line.

He can also recruit. He gets whoever he wants. We’ve seen this, we know this.

So if arguably the greatest offensive line coach in America who is also arguably the most successful recruiter in America takes this kid in May when he could recruit anyone he wants….do you really want to question the take because Ferman and Andrew Ivins only give this small school kid 3 stars?

Use your ******* heads. If Mario knows nothing else, he **** sure knows OL. And you know Mario doesn’t settle for recruits, he goes after and usually gets whoever the **** he wants.

I’ll celebrate any OL Mario wants, end of story
Dennis and Sangapolu may want a word with you.

Advertisement
Why not? That is when the word development come true. As of now Rivers and Cooper were a starter when MC got here, then we portal in a LG and a center. Plus you got a 5 star OT. Is that development? For me development is when that supporting cast get into the rotation.
Not True

Rivers only started 3 games the year before Mario arrived, due to a seasoning ending knee injury against Michigan St. He also was playing LG. Rivers was developed into a 2nd team All-ACC, LT by Mario and Mirabal.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 9.23.09 PM.png

Cooper was identified and recruited by Mario and his staff (Mirabal is listed as his lead recruiter). Cooper was offered by Mario Jan 21, 2022, so all of Coopers development is 100% to the credit of Mario and Mirabal.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 9.31.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 9.20.57 PM.png

Mario and Mirabal also recruited Matthew McCoy who was heavy in the rotation as the 1st offensive lineman off the bench last season.

Screen Shot 2024-05-17 at 9.39.31 PM.png

So in Mario and Mirabal first two recruiting classes 2022 and 2023 they have signed a total of 7 offensive lineman and 5 of them will either start or be on the 2nd team this fall.

2022 Class
Anez Cooper (Honorable mention All-ACC, Starter)
Matthew McCoy (2nd LG and RT in 2023 and currently in a battle for 2024 starting LG spot)

2023 Class
Francis Mauigoa (Honorable mention All-ACC, Starter)
Samson Okunlola (In the rotation at LT before injury in 2023 and currently in a battle for 2024 starting LG spot)
Tommy Kinsler (Will be in the two deep in 2024)
Frankie Tinilau (Currently injured)
Antonio Tripp (Running with the 3rd team during spring at guard)

Not True

Rivers only started 3 games the year before Mario arrived, due to a seasoning ending knee injury against Michigan St. He also was playing LG. Rivers was developed into a 2nd team All-ACC, LT by Mario and Mirabal.

View attachment 289793

Cooper was identified and recruited by Mario and his staff (Mirabal is listed as his lead recruiter). Cooper was offered by Mario Jan 21, 2022, so all of Coopers development is 100% to the credit of Mario and Mirabal.

View attachment 289794

View attachment 289795

Mario and Mirabal also recruited Matthew McCoy who was heavy in the rotation as the 1st offensive lineman off the bench last season.

View attachment 289796

So in Mario and Mirabal first two recruiting classes 2022 and 2023 they have signed a total of 7 offensive lineman and 5 of them will either start or be on the 2nd team this fall.

2022 Class
Anez Cooper (Honorable mention All-ACC, Starter)
Matthew McCoy (2nd LG and RT in 2023 and currently in a battle for 2024 starting LG spot)

2023 Class
Francis Mauigoa (Honorable mention All-ACC, Starter)
Samson Okunlola (In the rotation at LT before injury in 2023 and currently in a battle for 2024 starting LG spot)
Tommy Kinsler (Will be in the two deep in 2024)
Frankie Tinilau (Currently injured)
Antonio Tripp (Running with the 3rd team during spring at guard)
Just curious what does in the 2 deep prove?

Riley 👉Caleb Williams from Oklahoma to USC.

Deion 👉 Shedeur (son) and Travis Hunter from Jackson State to Boulder.

Cignetti 👉 Ponds from JMU to Indiana

Mario 👉 Denis and Sagapolo from Oregon to UM
The only OL you mention are Denis and Sagapolo. I’m not sure Caleb Williams or Ponds would be effective at LG.

Advertisement
Ya not a red flag

Depleted roster…Need bodies to practice. It's fine.

You do if they're better than the ones they're replacing.

It's more a statement of the state of the roster when he got here. And it's been that way for some time.

Didn't Richt say when he first got here, "Where are all the big guys"?

Respectfully, here's why this argument is completely illogical:

Mario and Mirabal recruited those players to Oregon, too. So how does our depleted OL excuse those evals? Did that OL "need bodies to practice," too? It didn't... but if you want to argue it did, whose fault would that be?

The better argument (and the only one I'm really willing to listen to) is that nobody is perfect in their evals, OL is a very difficult position to evaluate because you're looking for growth potential, a tough-mindedness, ability to learn technique (it's notoriously a terribly coached position in HS), and because things that work for some of these big guys in HS will not work when they meet comparably sized people more frequently in college. That's all fair, and part of the reason I trust (generally) Mario/Mirabal with OL. That said, my general trust does not mean I have to be a sheep on every single take (because they certainly miss, too).

Respectfully, here's why this argument is completely illogical:

The better argument (and the only one I'm really willing to listen to) is that nobody is perfect in their evals,

Yes of course, but imo that's kinda baked in and we are talking (or at least from what it seemed by the point I entered the thread) more about why they were brought to UM. Someone said it's a big red flag on CMC and AM that they brought them in to UM.

Advertisement
Yes of course, but imo that's kinda baked in and we are talking (or at least from what it seemed by the point I entered the thread) more about why they were brought to UM. Someone said it's a big red flag on CMC and AM that they brought them in to UM.

Yeah, I think @RVACane is probably using hyperbole for effect when he says "big red flag". I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I suspect he's just pointing out those evals are misses and blind faith (in any eval) is unwise.

Yeah, I think @RVACane is probably using hyperbole for effect when he says "big red flag". I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I suspect he's just pointing out those evals are misses and blind faith (in any eval) is unwise.
I absolutely did not use hyperbole and call it “a Big Red Flag!”

Here’s what was posted by me with dude’s response.

IMG_6288.jpeg

Advertisement
Back