What is our rooster as of today?

Rooting hard for Jim to bounce back this year, but this looks like a .500 or maybe a game or 2 above conference roster which would probably mean bubble team.

Last year killed so much momentum with the program. Really stinks we couldnt build or at least continue some sort of momentum. Only at Miami would you get the best seasons in school history followed by quite possibly the worst. Hope we bounce back.
Barring any major injuries to key players, I think our floor is about .500 next season. Despite some roster shortcomings on paper, if everything falls into place we could be a tournament team come March. I think we're closer to the latter if everyone stays healthy and we get good production (all-freshman kind) from Bethae. GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
Again, last season we had no one who could put the ball on the floor and get by a defender to create for themselves or others. We struggled against pressure. 2 years ago Wong and Miller played a big role in doing those things. Time will tell if anyone on this current team can do it.
Miller did most of his scoring 15 feet and in. He did not handle the ball much away from the basket.

Is Mitchell from UT a legit option?.

Would this guy be a CG type... that would fit?.

Last edited:
Rooting hard for Jim to bounce back this year, but this looks like a .500 or maybe a game or 2 above conference roster which would probably mean bubble team.

Last year killed so much momentum with the program. Really stinks we couldnt build or at least continue some sort of momentum. Only at Miami would you get the best seasons in school history followed by quite possibly the worst. Hope we bounce back.
You'd think people would learn from the last decade plus that L is at his best with a team that is under the radar, a team that he can mold. This team has a ton of experience, some young guns and some versatile pieces. If chemistry is anywhere near decent and this team isn't subject to insanely bad injury luck, I wouldn't be shocked if this team surprised people and overachieved, as has been the case with most of L's teams with similar profiles.

Last season was disappointing, no doubt, but people need to have perspective. It was a season where everything that could go wrong, did. You had a team where returning pieces didn't grow into new roles, chemistry issues, AND an endless stream of injuries, making it even tougher to get everyone on the same page. There's a reason why L overhauled the roster, he understood that the pieces didn't fit together nearly as well as any of us thought. L also came to the conclusion that he needed some additional adults on the roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Miller did most of his scoring 15 feet and in. He did not handle the ball much away from the basket.
As I've said a few times already, Miller was someone who at times would take advantage of some of his mismatches by putting the ball on the floor and creating for himself or others. We missed that last season and not sure we have anyone on the current roster who can do it.

As I've said a few times already, Miller was someone who at times would take advantage of some of his mismatches by putting the ball on the floor and creating for himself or others. We missed that last season and not sure we have anyone on the current roster who can do it.

Yeah, Miller may not have been a point guard, but he could handle the ball on his own. Loved watching that guy move, both with and without the ball.

Dug in a bit deeper on Devine Ugochukwu and think we may have gotten a steal here. He was the best player on a 32-1 team that finished ranked in the top 5 of Texas' highest basketball classification. He plays with two of Hakeem Olajuwon's sons and their starting center just signed with Marquette.

There isn't a ton out there as far as film but found a highlight package of him dropping 30 on Manvel earlier this season. It's funny because, Bethea certainly has the athleticism and NBA upside but this kid might actually be more polished at this stage.

Advertisement
I saw Blackmon twice this past season in person with Stetson and I can't say I saw anything from him to tell me he'll be a significant upgrade to what we currently have in the ball-handling department. In fact, in one of the games he struggled mightily. Good scorer, but very similar to what we already have in Pack. More of an undersized 2, than a guy who can put it on the floor and get by pressure defense with consistency.
We need ball handling bad.

Wasn't even close to the worst LOL did you start following Miami basketball in 2022

One, this is based on who we have so far. Ive taken into possibly adding the Idaho State big man, and it just doesnt move the needle much for me. Of course adding someone of signifigant talent or needle mover could change my outlook. At this point I dont see it.

I admit, I am beaten down a little after last year, but i dont think the take is horrendous at all. I think its being fairly objective. Also we were preseason #13 last year, so I dont put a ton of stock in preseason mags/rags.
Do you put stock in preseason metrics then? They were all down on us last year, and turned out to be right. Barttorvik currently has us 30th, which is a clear tournament team.

We need ball handling bad.
Definitely. But we also need to replace the scoring we lost (56 ppg). That is a concerning number.

Pack and Cleveland have their share of really good performances but can also disappear at times, getting shut down by a defender who gets right up on them.

Kidd, Johnson, Blackmon, and the true freshmen will all be "adjusting." Given the importance of the 3 pt shot in today's game, Blackmon and Bethea are gonna have to be big pieces of our offense, ready or not.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wasn't even close to the worst LOL did you start following Miami basketball in 2022
It wasnt the worst record wise, but when you have the preseason rankings and expecation, and you completely bomb the season losing your last 10 games in a row, and finish 2nd to last in 15 team conference including losing at Home to the worst team in the league, it was by far the worst season.

Again trust me, I'm pulling for Jimmy, but last season beat me down bad, so I dont have high expectations for this squad. Bubble tourney team is my current thought.

It wasnt the worst record wise, but when you have the preseason rankings and expecation, and you completely bomb the season losing your last 10 games in a row, and finish 2nd to last in 15 team conference including losing at Home to the worst team in the league, it was by far the worst season.

Again trust me, I'm pulling for Jimmy, but last season beat me down bad, so I dont have high expectations for this squad. Bubble tourney team is my current thought.
Imagine this being the take of a casual fan

Well at least you keep admitting you were "beat down" by last season so we all know not to take your opinions seriously.

Advertisement
Back