Through the Smoke Podcast [Portal Edition] April 29, 2024

lindend

Money, its gotta be da shoes!
Premium
Through the Smoke Portal Edition April 29, 2024

Tyler Baron
  • Gaby hearing good things about this visit. JT is a huge fan of his game.
  • Lake getting good feedback here also.
  • No update on the results of the shoulder exam, but Miami didn't slow down the recruitment, so there may be optimism that he could play this year.
  • Rebels the primary competition here

Simeon Barrow Jr
  • Miami excited about his potential
  • No intel on where Miami stands or how recruitment is going yet (too early)
  • Multiple other teams involved
  • Lake thinks he's a slight upgrade over JHH

Total Spots Left to Fill

Lake

• Miami wants S, 2 DT, LG

Gaby

• Miami wants another Safety (and this was before Riley hit the portal),
  • Miami actively and aggressively looking for a LG (Some Bryce Foster buzz, Miami unsure how much he wants to play)
  • 2 DT (unsure how much traction we have with the Grand Valley State DT)

Advertisement
At this point I think we should just pay up for Baron + Walker combo. What are our realistic options besides these two at backup DE + safety (respectively)?

That or you’re banking on the youth playing this year, and imo, this is not a year to pin hopes on the unknown. I don’t think the portal has much better talent left than Baron and Walker at those respective positions.

Now if you want to say we should have been more aggressive in the winter, sure. But at this point, it really seems like those two, or ride with your young guys.

Question is obviously we’ve spent money on portal guys, and still need to pay at least one DT (probably two). How much are these two demanding? Baron was Tenn’s highest rated edge rusher and top four player on that defense. Walker had the second-most snaps at safety, but he definitely played worse than a few younger guys.

Last edited:
Advertisement
At this point I think we should just pay up for Baron + Walker combo. What are our realistic options besides these two at backup DE + safety (respectively)?

That or you’re banking on the youth playing this year, and imo, this is not a year to pin hopes on the unknown. I don’t think the portal has much better talent left than Baron and Walker at those respective positions.

Now if you want to say we should have been more aggressive in the winter, sure. But at this point, it really seems like those two, or ride with your young guys.

Question is obviously we’ve spent money on portal guys, and still need to pay at least one DT (probably two). How much are these two demanding? Baron was Tenn’s highest rated edge rusher and top four player on that defense. Walker had the second-most snaps at safety, but he definitely played worse than a few younger guys.
Walker's film is a rough watch

Getting a good Defensive Tackles like Simeon Burrow DT and Derrick Harmon 6'3" 295lbs and DT 6'6" 320 LBS both 2 year starters at division 1 at a Power 5 conference is more important now.
They can plug up the middle, a great push, and run stopping and pressure on and get in the back field.

Miami has a lot great defensive ends but great experience defensive tackles no

Miami Hurricanes defense will arguably be have one of the best defensive lines and front 7 in the country. Also TCU great defensive tackle is available to in the transfer portal.

They lose 4 senior defensive tackles after this season who will play a lot this season.

Getting a good Defensive Tackles like Simeon Burrow DT and Derrick Harmon 6'3" 295lbs and DT 6'6" 320 LBS both 2 year starters at division 1 at a Power 5 conference is more important now.
They can plug up the middle, a great push, and run stopping and pressure on the QB and get in the back field.

Miami has a lot great defensive ends but great experience defensive tackles no. They 2 great 5 star defensive tackles plus they have Campbell who played great in the spring, who I think will start at one of the defensive tackle positions

Miami Hurricanes defense will arguably have one of the best defensive lines and front 7 in the country if they can land one these 2 Michigan State defensive tackles. Also TCU great defensive tackle is available to in the transfer portal.

They lose 4 senior defensive tackles after this season who will play a lot this season.

Advertisement
They can plug up the middle, a great push, and run stopping and pressure on and get in the back field.

Miami has a lot great defensive ends but great experience defensive tackles no

Miami Hurricanes defense will arguably be have one of the best defensive lines and front 7 in the country. Also TCU great defensive tackle is available to in the transfer portal.

first time GIF

Not sure at this point.
I have been nervous that we would lose someone on the Oline in the top 8 guys. They're such a commodity and we have a few that aren't seeing much playing time and could start elsewhere. I guess it's a good thing to have.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back