RB Damien Martinez transfers to Miami

Advertisement
The only reason it wonā€™t be a huge blowout is because the game is in Gainesville and there always first game jitters. If this game was mid season, at a neutral site, Iā€™d give the gator 17 comfortably

Hope we are not falling into the CIS trap again. UF, LSU, BAMA! Years reading the hype how we were going to blown them up..

Consider the source
Lashlee will never be as good or as bad as remembered. The stats show a story but not the full context. He was stubborn and often times redundant. I will never forgive him for continually making King run the read option unsuccessfully. That being said, he is still the best OC we've had in far too long.

Hope we are not falling into the CIS trap again. UF, LSU, BAMA! Years reading the hype how we were going to blown them up..
If you thought we were going to blow out LSU or BAMA you might have been on crack. This UF team isnā€™t anywhere near that level. This is a UF team that might not even win four games.

Advertisement
Was it Lashlee or was it teams just not used to our scheme as of yet. Our fans trashed him while he was here. Now he's gawd šŸ˜…
Idiots trashed him because theyā€™re idiots.

You canā€™t actually believe that he had success because nobody was ā€œused to his scheme yetā€? I mean nobody was thrown for a surprise by Gattis or Enos or any of the other bums who have called plays here the last 20 years. He was successful because he knew how to best use the players he had. The offense was drastically different when King was the quarterback to when Van Dyke was the quarterback. Because instead of beating his head against the wall forcing players into his ā€œsystemā€ he altered his system to get results from the players he had. Anybody can do well with a team full of All Americans. Good coaches can have success even with a team full of Manny Diaz recruits.

What double standard is that exactly?

In 2021
- We averaged 34 points per game again
- 40.9% in 3rd down conversion
- Amassed 5,386yds of total Offense
- Averaged 448ypg.

TVD had the best season of his career coming in after King got injured.

As for the 3rd & 1 plays you all get so hung up on, what exactly was the solution to the problem? Because in 2022 under a supposedly better Running scheme, we had a significantly lower 3rd down conversion rate & a worse run game. Maybe 3rd down & 1 weren't being converted because of personnel? But either way, who gives AF about 3rd down & 1? We scored 34 points a game.

2021 was a lame duck season because the Defense had continued to get worse & worse, we couldn't stop anybody & it was obvious Manny Diaz was getting fired.

Offensive predictability is debatable, considering we had more yards that season than we ever had in school history & had it not been for the Offense we would've went 4-8 at best.

But aside from that, what exactly is your point?

Compared to Enox & Gattless, Lashlee is whole other stratosphere as an OC & play caller. In fact, you could go back until 01 with Chud & Lashlee's 2 years at Miami stacks up against nearly every OC we had over those 2 decades.

So what double standard are you alluding to? What Coach are trying to say that I'm being unfair towards while not doing the same for Lashlee?
Bruh... I've always taken it as a given that you know ball so I don't speak up on much. I still feel that way. However context is necessary in these discussions. The double standard I was referring to is how most (don't know if u do as well or not) use stats that support or dillude an argument opposed to simply sticking to numbers. You mentioned in his first season how we had 1700 rushing yards (without context again, for instance it's relevant to say our starting QB was **** near our leading rusher on the season with 550) but ignored the fact in his only other season we had 1200 rushing yards. We also don't point out how the offense was beyond stagnant often. Or In the time span until Tyler took over we had zero offense and it took 3 games for lashlee to get him going either. My only issue I took with your comment however my brother is how you mentioned the jury still being out on Dawson because in 4 games the offense fell apart. Nothing about how we all know an offense is reliant on either a solid passing game or a dominant running game. All we had was a quarterback who led the country in turnovers during that same time span. While beforehand our offense was no issue at all. Let's give the same criteria for everyone. It's not hard to agree that since chud he's probably the best oc we had(I'll say fish) and it's because they all sucked otherwise. But if the bar is were trying to win at a high level and a standard is in place, lashlee don't cut it either. Either way I was just curious why you think he was a good hire either. To me he was just slightly better than average and took advantage of the fact no one had film on us. So atleast he can adapt.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240519_204655_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240519_204655_Chrome.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SmartSelect_20240519_204757_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240519_204757_Chrome.jpg
    646.4 KB · Views: 0
Lashlee was a very solid OC I just hated our offense when we had to run the ball. Never felt like we ever had a chance 3rd and 3 or less.
Probably because we had an FCS caliber offensive line. You can only play the cards youā€™re dealt.

Fans got mad because the running game got stuffed too often. They wanted someone to run a different type of run scheme. So Mario brings in Gattis and they totally dump the zone blocking scheme and now weā€™re going to a gap scheme. Weā€™re going to run duo. Weā€™re going to run powerā€¦blah blah blah. The running game got worse. Itā€™s almost like no matter what run play you call, if the line canā€™t block, it doesnā€™t matter.

Advertisement
If you thought we were going to blow out LSU or BAMA you might have been on crack. This UF team isnā€™t anywhere near that level. This is a UF team that might not even win four games.

I just want to win but I am not drinking that koolaid on how bad they are.

Idiots trashed him because theyā€™re idiots.

You canā€™t actually believe that he had success because nobody was ā€œused to his scheme yetā€? I mean nobody was thrown for a surprise by Gattis or Enos or any of the other bums who have called plays here the last 20 years. He was successful because he knew how to best use the players he had. The offense was drastically different when King was the quarterback to when Van Dyke was the quarterback. Because instead of beating his head against the wall forcing players into his ā€œsystemā€ he altered his system to get results from the players he had. Anybody can do well with a team full of All Americans. Good coaches can have success even with a team full of Manny Diaz recruits.
Again. I'm not saying Gattis was not trash can. It's just that he was soo bad that Lashlee is some Gawd now, and he's not..
He was not a complete OC. His run game was trash

Advertisement
Advertisement
Thought so too and Lyle I think will jump Johnson at some point in the fall. CJ will be in the portal by the end of the year IMO.
Its definitely a "make or break" year for CJ. If he cant carve out a role for himself now especially with Fletcher out and Ajay Allen slowly coming back..not sure there is a future for him here. We need him NOW. No more waiting around. Mario has given him every opportunity to show he can contribute. He cant blame it on lack of opportunity.

Cam and Martinez give me flashbacks of Dorsey/McGahee in 2002. I know that is HIGH expectations for them for a season but man..if any duo can recreate what they did in 2002...its Cam/Martinez.

I'm no RB expert, so you'd do better to ask @bshaw28 questions concerning the RB.

But I would say, Parrish & Martinez both have very good vision, which will gain them a lot more yards on average than most RB's, simply because they see the hole/running lanes so much faster & can get you an easy 5-6yds on any given carry.

The difference, is mainly style of running. Parrish wasn't a tough in between the tackles style of runner, he's more finesse & had his best runs when he was able to bounce outside after making an initial cut. Martinez is a downhill bulldozer who seeks out contact. He can bounce outside as well, but he's primarily looking to get to the 2nd level of the Defense, lower his shoulder & run through your chest.

Neither one is all that fast, I'd say they're both in the mid 4.5- 4.6 range, but for RB's speed isn't necessarily as important as it is at CB & WR. It certainly helps & you'd prefer a fast RB over a slow one, but there's plenty of RB's who aren't really blazers that are still very productive & effective.

@Memnon - very well said

Advertisement
Back