TRANSCRIPT: Josh Pate sits down with Mario Cristobal

View as article
Advertisement
A very well documented (and I heard it from someone who was in the room) fight which saw Mario exiled to Oregon. This isn't a secret with anyone that was around Bama
As Mario said you cant be complacent. Mario was probably pushing Saban's never questioned boundaries so it ended sour. It's obvious Mario uses Saban's footprint for how a program should be ran. I wouldn't say they hate each other but they are both alpha dogs in their profession. Saban at the height of his career had the luxury of exiling Mario because of simply butting heads.. any other coach would have thought otherwise based on his recruiting connections/efforts/achievements. My dream scenario is Mario retires a Cane with a similar legacy to Saban's at Bama.

As Mario said you cant be complacent. Mario was probably pushing Saban's never questioned boundaries so it ended sour. It's obvious Mario uses Saban's footprint for how a program should be ran. I wouldn't say they hate each other but they are both alpha dogs in their profession. Saban at the height of his career had the luxury of exiling Mario because of simply butting heads.. any other coach would have thought otherwise based on his recruiting connections/efforts/achievements. My dream scenario is Mario retires a Cane with a similar legacy to Saban's at Bama.
Mario was demoted to TE's and got his feelings hurts.

Advertisement
He left 14-1 Bama and working with Saban for 4-8 Oregon to be "co-OC" under Willie T.
See @FL Cane post above lmao
Look Up GIF by Sesame Street

He left 14-1 Bama and working with Saban for 4-8 Oregon to be "co-OC" under Willie T.

He was never going to get the offensive coordinator position under Saban at Alabama after they won multiple titles and it became the perfect 'rehab' stop for any one-time head coach who got fired and was looking to rebuild and rebrand for a few years, or guys who were coordinators elsewhere looking to polish up the resume; O'Brien, Kiffin, Sarkisian, Daboll, Nussmeier, etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back