Heat Culture

The back end of the NFL 1st round is a crapshoot too.

Just using the 2020 drafts
NFL 9 Pro Bowlers in 1st round, 6 in first 14 picks, 3 in the back 18 (88 PB's are selected)
NBA 4 All-Stars in 1st round, 3 in first 14 picks, 1 in the back 16 (24 All-Stars are selected)

The data adds up the same re the non lottery 1st's in both sports.
My point being that 90+% of the NBA players on rosters were 1st rounders. If your roster is made up of 2nd rounders and undrafted players, you’re likely the worst team in the league

Advertisement
Top Heat players by MIN - round drafted
Butler- 1st
Bam- 1st
Herro- 1st
Rozier- 1st
Jaquez- 1st
Lowry- 1st

Plus Jovic and Love were 1sts, MIlls and Richardson 2nd's
For every Duncan Robinson there's 8 1st rounders.
I like Spo but let's not act like he dragged this team out of the G League
First of all, Lowry is no longer on the team.

Second, as @DTP said above, it’s not the NFL. The lottery is basically the equivalent to the first round. Guess how many of that list are lottery picks. Bam and Herro, and they were both around 14, so the equivalent of an NFL late first pick. None were top 5 picks other than a Kevin Love way past his prime.

Third, having success with ANY undrafted guy is impressive. In last year’s Finals run, Spo had 5 undrafted guys in the regular rotation and contributors (Vincent, Strus, Duncan, Caleb, Highsmith), not even mentioning all the guys who had success and went elsewhere (DJJ, Tyler Johnson, Joel Anthony) or long-term legends like Haslem and Keith Askins. Or elevating players like Dion Waiters and James Johnson. One guy gets a big payday elsewhere, fades into oblivion on another team, and it’s next man up in Miami.

Of course you still need stars; it’s the NBA. But let’s not remotely downplay the scouting and development of this team. He very much has made half his team from the G League. It is insane what they have consistently accomplished. The Heat are very rarely a bad team, much like the Steelers or Eagles.

First of all, Lowry is no longer on the team.

Second, as @DTP said above, it’s not the NFL. The lottery is basically the equivalent to the first round. Guess how many of that list are lottery picks. Bam and Herro, and they were both around 14, so the equivalent of an NFL late first pick. None were top 5 picks other than a Kevin Love way past his prime.

Third, having success with ANY undrafted guy is impressive. In last year’s Finals run, Spo had 5 undrafted guys in the regular rotation and contributors (Vincent, Strus, Duncan, Caleb, Highsmith), not even mentioning all the guys who had success and went elsewhere (DJJ, Tyler Johnson, Joel Anthony) or long-term legends like Haslem and Keith Askins. Or elevating players like Dion Waiters and James Johnson. One guy gets a big payday elsewhere, fades into oblivion on another team, and it’s next man up in Miami.

Of course you still need stars; it’s the NBA. But let’s not remotely downplay the scouting and development of this team. He very much has made half his team from the G League. It is insane what they have consistently accomplished. The Heat are very rarely a bad team, much like the Steelers or Eagles.
And he's only won when he has LeBron and Wade so what's that say? You need stars, he needs stars.

UGA, Michigan, Bama, LSU- what do the most recent winners have in common? BCR and NFL Draft picks

And he's only won when he has LeBron and Wade so what's that say? You need stars, he needs stars.

UGA, Michigan, Bama, LSU- what do the most recent winners have in common? BCR and NFL Draft picks
I mean, I literally said you have to have stars, so not sure the point of your reply.

And if you mean only “won a title” with stars, then yes. But he has also won a **** of a lot more than any coach not named Popovich. Two recent Finals appearances in four years with injuries to key players and a lot of undrafted guys is crazy impressive.

Yes, you need stars, but if you can use undrafted guys to supplement your stars, in a salary cap league, your success can be much more sustainable.

You can both say you need stars and also be impressed with the Heat and Spo at the same time. No need to downplay his accomplishments.

I don’t care how he wins.. just that he wins.
The Walking Dead Sasha GIF by The Paley Center for Media

Advertisement
I mean, I literally said you have to have stars, so not sure the point of your reply.

And if you mean only “won a title” with stars, then yes. But he has also won a **** of a lot more than any coach not named Popovich. Two recent Finals appearances in four years with injuries to key players and a lot of undrafted guys is crazy impressive.

Yes, you need stars, but if you can use undrafted guys to supplement your stars, in a salary cap league, your success can be much more sustainable.

You can both say you need stars and also be impressed with the Heat and Spo at the same time. No need to downplay his accomplishments.
"Second place is the first loser" - Dale Sr.

Advertisement
Back