Rumor Has NFL(esque) Structure Finally Arrived to NCAA?

Advertisement
You can’t cap NIL, pretty sure that was the ruling of the court. If someone knows else, then feel free to correct.

I’d like to see a proposal the diverts some of the funds in the pool to the smaller sports. Might help schools keep smaller sports.
College athletes would have to agree to cap it as part of a collective bargaining agreement.

Advertisement
There's no way that's happening
No way, eh? Are you using "no way" as a prediction of the future or as a sentiment of disbelief?

I have heard for three days straight how a committee made a business decision regarding the selection of the CFP field. That same business will implement a NCAA-level draft if that model is profitable. Bet on that.

No way, eh? Are you using "no way" as a prediction of the future or as a sentiment of disbelief?

I have heard for three days straight how a committee made a business decision regarding the selection of the CFP field. That same business will implement a NCAA-level draft if that model is profitable. Bet on that.
I just think it's entirely impractical. But then the whole system is largely unsustainable. So sure I could be wrong.

Really curious how this goes. So many variables:
  1. Will different schools be able to offer different amounts or will they make a student-athletes' union to collectively bargain? That's the only way I can see this working given the Supreme Court said you can't limit earnings potential, though players could negotiate it away. The big schools will fight it as that's their advantage.
  2. Will NIL rights be written into NLIs? Will it be like Grant of Rights and the school owns NIL rights to a player for 4 years? That would clearly slow down the portal madness, but could trap kids. Again, you'd have to collectively bargain so schools don't get rights and then offer nothing. I've always said 2 years is reasonable for transfers. So maybe 2-year NIL Rights terms...or NIL rights release upon earning a degree? You can transfer anytime and not sit, but you won't get money at the new school until that 2-year term expires or you graduate. Would be more consistent with NCAA mission than what it is now. Thinking through it, I actually think this might be a good solution. Still let's players go where they want, but not the craziness the portal has become.
  3. Do companies then pay schools licensing fees—similar to merch—for the rights to use a player's NIL in marketing materials?
  4. Does this completely get rid of collectives?
  5. As others have mentioned, how would this work with Olympic sports? Would everything go into one pot and be split up equally? I'm sure Title IX would be involved here somehow. Do players get paid if they aren't doing any kind of promotion?
Should be interesting. NCAA will probably ***** it up, though.

Advertisement
If they have to adhere to Title IX then that's your pseudo-salary cap right there.

Ain't no way a school is agreeing to maintain a $50M NIL budget for football if they have to match that on women's sports

Feels like this takes care of the bottom of the roster with outside money focused on the top players

Advertisement
Back