Official Defensive Holding...First Downnnnnn...

Advertisement
Advertisement
So what’s the difference with holding and Pass interference..this does help offenses even more

Holding is usually called when a defensive player grabs an eligible receiver before the ball is thrown. Pass interference is when an eligible receiver is interfered with while the ball is in the air.

Also this Clemson “boxing gloves” thing is a very old drill. We used to make DBs hold tennis balls in drills so they can’t grab. Same concept.

So what’s the difference with holding and Pass interference..this does help offenses even more
Pass interference can only take place when the ball has been thrown to that specific receiver. Defensive holding can take place any time a defender holds an eligible receiver, whether the ball is going to him or not. There’s also the rare defensive holding penalty when a defender grabs an offensive lineman to keep him from pulling or getting out to block on a screen but that doesn’t get called a lot.

Edit: just saw that it was explained while I was still typing my response

Holding is usually called when a defensive player grabs an eligible receiver before the ball is thrown. Pass interference is when an eligible receiver is interfered with while the ball is in the air.

Also this Clemson “boxing gloves” thing is a very old drill. We used to make DBs hold tennis balls in drills so they can’t grab. Same concept.
IRC, our buddy Mr Porter was a little unclear of the difference between holding and pass interference…

and no call.

Advertisement
Others rules of note:

1. Targeting MUST be with the crown of the helmet, contact with the forehead is no longer considered targeting.

2. Unsportsmanlike penalties can be tacked onto end of plays just like personal fouls

3. Quarterbacks are now considered defenseless players

4. Fake slides being cracked down on

5. NO RULE made about faking injuries nor any penalties for the act. Instead a team can essentially file a complaint to a committee to determine action (post game).

Expect several Ws to be handed to teams as a direct result of this rule.

This rule change isn't as radical as some of you are making it out to be.

Defensive holding on an eligible receiver has always been 10 yards and a first down (in the NFL, it's 5 yards and a first down).

The only change now is ANY defensive holding brings the automatic first down into play. Previously, it was only 10 yards. But how often is defensive holding called when it's NOT on an eligible receiver? Pretty infrequently.

So now, if a defensive lineman holds a blocker, for example, it's 10 and a first down. OK. The rule on an eligible receiver doesn't change. It was and still is 10 yards and a first down.

HERE IS WHERE THE CHANGE WILL BE FELT THE MOST, THOUGH:

On punts. Previously, if you're receiving a punt, and you hold the gunner, or any other player, it was a 10 yard penalty. Now, if you do that and it's called, you give the offense a first down. This, IMO, is pretty significant. So the change really won't impact offense vs defense very much. But it will impact special teams more than anything. If it's 4th and 37, and I'm punting, and you hold anyone on my punt team, I get 10 yards AND a first down. That could change some things.

5. NO RULE made about faking injuries nor any penalties for the act. Instead a team can essentially file a complaint to a committee to determine action (post game).
seems easy to solve. If play is stopped for your injury you’re out the rest of the possession unless you want to burn a TO.

Advertisement
seems easy to solve. If play is stopped for your injury you’re out the rest of the possession unless you want to burn a TO.
Yeah, the solution is incredibly simple. If the game clock has to stop for your injury, you can’t return to the game until the next change of possession.

weird. Does Clemson not want their DB's to attempt to catch the ball?
If you can catch a football with boxing gloves on you can catch anything.

rip torn dodgeball GIF

Advertisement
Isn't this the rule in the pros already? Holding, illegal contact, and pass interference are all automatic first downs in the pros.

This rule change isn't as radical as some of you are making it out to be.

Defensive holding on an eligible receiver has always been 10 yards and a first down (in the NFL, it's 5 yards and a first down).

The only change now is ANY defensive holding brings the automatic first down into play. Previously, it was only 10 yards. But how often is defensive holding called when it's NOT on an eligible receiver? Pretty infrequently.

So now, if a defensive lineman holds a blocker, for example, it's 10 and a first down. OK. The rule on an eligible receiver doesn't change. It was and still is 10 yards and a first down.

HERE IS WHERE THE CHANGE WILL BE FELT THE MOST, THOUGH:

On punts. Previously, if you're receiving a punt, and you hold the gunner, or any other player, it was a 10 yard penalty. Now, if you do that and it's called, you give the offense a first down. This, IMO, is pretty significant. So the change really won't impact offense vs defense very much. But it will impact special teams more than anything. If it's 4th and 37, and I'm punting, and you hold anyone on my punt team, I get 10 yards AND a first down. That could change some things.
Yea and even the special teams isn't that big. Majority of the holding calls on special teams are during the return after possession has changed.

Advertisement
Back