D’Angelo Ponds JMU CB (via Chaminade) Commits to Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, when D1 college receivers are riding him like seabiscuit 20 yards down the field, check back with me.
Can we acknowledge that not every FCS receiver is 5'6" 150 and not every P4 receiver is 6'2" 220? Dude faced receivers with similar frames that he would here. He will also face small fast players at the P4 level.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ok, when D1 college receivers are riding him like seabiscuit 20 yards down the field, check back with me.
lol that’s how you few lower comp..is crazy. Yo there’s athletes EVERYWHERE..he has tape vs UVA, App state..against UVA he played well, had a block put and recovered it for a TD..speed of verified and he’s willing to hit

I forgot that only D1 teams have bigger receivers :rolleyes:

Yes. "Height" is like the Sorting Hat of college WRs. All the tall guys get chosen for P5, all the short guys go D-II.

1714759406904.png

Advertisement
Former Chaminade DB and JMU True Freshman All-American D’Angelo Ponds has it the portal and the coaches did an in home with him last night. On3 currently has him as the top overall player in the portal.

Stats from @Memnon write up
5’10 160lbs Freshman CB at James Madison, from Miami FL (went to Chaminade HS).
Finished this season with 51tks 12PD’s & 2INT’s

kind of reminds me of a poor man's Lamarcus Joyner.

not that same kind of skill, and not as strong at the POA, but some similar attributes

Advertisement
He’s going to go up against better comp in the acc we can all say that’s true while still liking the prospect

Fair?
The competition will be a step up but let’s not pretend our garbage schedule in our garbage conference is some kind of gauntlet of playoff teams. He’s a smaller corner who will be going up against smaller slot receivers. It’s not like he’s some D2 kid jumping into the SEC.

Advertisement

not that same kind of skill, and not as strong at the POA, but some similar attributes
I think too many people fail to realize you play DB with your feet first.

A player like Nickell Robey-Coleman - and I'm not directly comparing Ponds' game - entered the NFL sub 170 pounds, sub 30" arms, and didn't even break 4.5 in the 40. However, his shuttle was out of this world. And, his technique was solid. So, he played 10 years in the NFL. Yes, an outlier.

But, we're not necessarily trying to identify the next 1st rounder. We're trying to identify someone who can play the Nickel in college and ideally cover inside WRs so that Guidry can confidently play man without giving up chunk plays.

From watching Ponds' film, I noticed some questionable reactions in a couple of Zone coverages (maybe I misinterpreted), but his man coverage looked surprisingly positive.

And, again, it helps keep/move Powell at/to Safety! That's worth a ton to this upcoming defense/season.

Advertisement
Oh boy!!! We're talking about an 160 lb CB from JMU??? What the fug is happening here??
Have you watched the tape or reviewed the list of offers? Aren't you just a little bit curious about why this prospect is drawing attention?

I played football with Joyner when we were at Southwest. I believe that was his freshman and soph season.

Got in a fight with him. **** that ******* nole, knew I didn't like him for a good reason lol.

Maybe Tre’vius Hodges Tomlinson, Donte Jackson, or ideally Antoine Winfield as comps for Ponds. Former Cane Bruce Johnson maybe…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back