Official Big Game Bob Speaks

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Advertisement
Maybe he should look out for Statue of Liberty play instead...

I did accept his offer to become CF Commish...

National champion Bob Stoops calls for commissioner to govern college football, salary cap

Is the imposition of a salary cap legal absent a collective bargaining agreement? That would be my initial question.

And if a collective bargaining agreement is required, that would require players belong to a collective, or union.

Is the imposition of a salary cap legal absent a collective bargaining agreement? That would be my initial question.

And if a collective bargaining agreement is required, that would require players belong to a collective, or union.
I suspect this will eventually happen, to a degree. I don't see all players joining a union. Some, but not all.

But I do see them eventually becoming classified as employees of some kind, whether 1099 or W2. It may vary by state and arrangement.

So, a professional operation with more teams, more players, and a low-level talent pool compared to the NFL.

All Legalese aside, isn't some sort of CBA/regulation obviously needed? I'm not poo-pooing the legal angle as it clearly is necessary. Simply saying that at the end of the day, it seems painfully obvious that some sort of regulation is required to prevent the game of CFB from just imploding. I've seen enough comments from people to know that I'm not the only who is struggling to maintain the same level of interest in the sport. When the NIL case was being drawn up and made its way to SCOTUS, I don't think the idea was to pay 17 year old high school kids millions and having your roster hold you hostage after each season for a committment of money and playing time.

Advertisement
All Legalese aside, isn't some sort of CBA/regulation obviously needed? I'm not poo-pooing the legal angle as it clearly is necessary. Simply saying that at the end of the day, it seems painfully obvious that some sort of regulation is required to prevent the game of CFB from just imploding. I've seen enough comments from people to know that I'm not the only who is struggling to maintain the same level of interest in the sport. When the NIL case was being drawn up and made its way to SCOTUS, I don't think the idea was to pay 17 year old high school kids millions and having your roster hold you hostage after each season for a committment of money and playing time.
Why does there need to be collective bargaining? How is this going to save college football?

Why does there need to be collective bargaining? How is this going to save college football?
At what point do people tune out?

The majority of the financial backbone of major college sports has been from television revenue. Royalties, licensing/merchandise, bowl games and ticket sales along with donations play a part, but TV sort of drives the ship. If people become disenchanted with CFB, I believe they'll stop watching (as much if not completely) and networks will react. Maybe we aren't there yet as a society. Maybe we are getting closer to it. In the same breath, how about large donors? Will they also lose interest? Without revenue streams from fans and alumni, NIL packages could dry up for recruits and players alike - at least at those schools that aren't top dogs in large conferences. How many times will a school's collective pay $8m (like Tennessee allegedly did for Nico Iamaleava) for a recruit only to have him hit the portal before they pull the plug There is absolutely no regulation or oversight right now.

Then there is conference realignment which seems to be driven by ESPN, at least via the playoff payouts. The playing field continues to get less and less balanced as the power grab continues between $EC, B1G and E$PN. I would say don't get hung up on the term collective bargaining so much as oversight and regulation. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps I used "collective bargaining" out of proper legal context. Right now, there is no oversight and regulation.

I realize this sounds like an old man wrote this. I also recognize that I'm all over the place on this - there are several different angles running concurrently so please accept my apologies ahead of time if it seems like I'm jumping around. I'm not defending the NCAA in any way. They have a role in all this happening. Their old-fashioned rules and arbitrary enforcement played a part. They suck. I am saying though, that I do not see how things as currently constructed can survive long term. If you don't like that, get off my lawn.

Advertisement

The majority of the financial backbone of major college sports has been from television revenue. Royalties, licensing/merchandise, bowl games and ticket sales along with donations play a part, but TV sort of drives the ship. If people become disenchanted with CFB, I believe they'll stop watching (as much if not completely) and networks will react. Maybe we aren't there yet as a society. Maybe we are getting closer to it. In the same breath, how about large donors? Will they also lose interest? Without revenue streams from fans and alumni, NIL packages could dry up for recruits and players alike - at least at those schools that aren't top dogs in large conferences. How many times will a school's collective pay $8m (like Tennessee allegedly did for Nico Iamaleava) for a recruit only to have him hit the portal before they pull the plug There is absolutely no regulation or oversight right now.

Then there is conference realignment which seems to be driven by ESPN, at least via the playoff payouts. The playing field continues to get less and less balanced as the power grab continues between $EC, B1G and E$PN. I would say don't get hung up on the term collective bargaining so much as oversight and regulation. I'm not an attorney, so perhaps I used "collective bargaining" out of proper legal context. Right now, there is no oversight and regulation.

I realize this sounds like an old man wrote this. I also recognize that I'm all over the place on this - there are several different angles running concurrently so please accept my apologies ahead of time if it seems like I'm jumping around. I'm not defending the NCAA in any way. They have a role in all this happening. Their old-fashioned rules and arbitrary enforcement played a part. They suck. I am saying though, that I do not see how things as currently constructed can survive long term. If you don't like that, get off my lawn.
We agree on a ton of the trends.

I just don't see how players unionizing and (yet another) regulatory body are going to somehow save the sport.

If anything, I think that would accelrate the disinterest.

Don’t worry, you’re welcome on my lawn anytime. Just please keep it in your pants and don’t cause any divots

I'll tune out when our Miami Hurricanes become a consistent 7-ish W team year-after-year.

Oh wait.

3ohfFKhUwbAcatgmDC.gif

I just don't see how players unionizing and (yet another) regulatory body are going to somehow save the sport.

If we had a crystal ball, we could solve this debate. I watch the games for the entertainment value, love of school and the game. I don't watch for unions and NILs. I don't really like what I've been seeing unfold and all the words I spew are just really me expounding how I don't like it.

You might be right; I might be right; we both might be right. I'm married, so for once I'd like to be right - will you allow this one time exemption for me? I would just like to know what it feels like.

Advertisement
I'll tune out when our Miami Hurricanes become a consistent 7-ish W team year-after-year.

Oh wait.

View attachment 285405
When do you tune out to the point you don't watch games anymore? If we continue along our 20 year trend, but are doing it against lesser caliber teams with no chance of playoffs, do you tune out then?

Oh wait...

1711489549674.png

Was she that great big fat person?

You only think the NCAA is corrupt. They got nothin’ on unions.

Advertisement
If we had a crystal ball, we could solve this debate. I watch the games for the entertainment value, love of school and the game. I don't watch for unions and NILs. I don't really like what I've been seeing unfold and all the words I spew are just really me expounding how I don't like it.

You might be right; I might be right; we both might be right. I'm married, so for once I'd like to be right - will you allow this one time exemption for me? I would just like to know what it feels like.
Ok youre allowed.

When do you tune out to the point you don't watch games anymore? If we continue along our 20 year trend, but are doing it against lesser caliber teams with no chance of playoffs, do you tune out then?

Oh wait...

View attachment 285406

Was she that great big fat person?
Wild Bill was not a villian.

Just a lonely guy trying to make a suit.

Advertisement
Back