UNC Passing Game vs. UM DBs

954CaneBoi

Redshirt Freshman
Interested to see if our DBs will step up this game. Marquise Williams has 2,035 yards on the season 17/7 TD/Int. Couple of tall receivers on the outside with Hollins (6'3'' - leading receiver with 555 yards and averaging 21 ypc) and Quinshad Davis (6'4'' with 300 yards on the season), with Ryan Switzer (5'10'' standing on a phone book with 456 yards; 13 ypc) working out of the slot who is a shifty athlete and good route runner.

I want to see Corn Elder attached to Switzer's hip all game long, with Burns and Gunter matched up on the outside against their length. Really need to see the safeties step up this game; would hope to see Bush and Carter as I don't think Crawford and Fentress have the range to the ground that will be needed this game.

Hopefully will get some **** pass rush and keep Marquise contained in the run game (leading rusher with ~500 yards; 4.6 ypc).

What y'all expect to see (other than the obligatory Tyriq covering Switzer and Wyche dropping back in zone)?

Advertisement
I'm more worried about the tackling. Agree with the post though. We haven't had trouble with tall receivers this season so far.

I'm more worried about the tackling. Agree with the post though. We haven't had trouble with tall receivers this season so far.

Agree. Still have nightmares of Ebron rolling over our linebackers and DBs from last year.

I also still have nightmares of Ebron running the simplest shallow crossing routes all game long and noone within 20 yards of him when he caught the ball even though we knew he was by far their best player coming in. Our staff is a bunch of clowns

Advertisement

So far this year our tackling has been a lot better than last year, at least for most players. Perryman is still Perryman. Armbrister is playing at a high level. Kirby, while still not at his potential, doesn't seem to be out of position to make a tackle all the time. Grace is showing great sideline to sideline ability to run down ball carriers. Bush is beginning to show again what he flashed his freshman year but disappeared after his injury, though he still has a ways to go. Carter hits hard but has a tendency to overrun plays or take bad angles (like Kirby last year). Howard has regressed in his tackling, seems to have lost confidence, but the skill is there if he'd focus. Mid-field coverage has been a bigger problem than tackling.

Scheme is the issue, not the CBs talent.

I expect to see large cushions with DBs put in impossible spots with no pass rush. They will be afraid to get beat deep.

Running QB's have been giving us fits since the Shannon era.

You know, I used to say this all the time (because it's true), but I think the reality is that running QBs give everyone fits. It's just the nature of a running QB, I think.

I expect to see large cushions with DBs put in impossible spots with no pass rush. They will be afraid to get beat deep.

Yep. Will be maddening to watch as always.

Fire Al Golden

Advertisement
Another question....since we continue to talk about beating FSU in a a couple of weeks; what will happen if we lose to UNC this Saturday?

This will be Folden's first test against a multi-faceted offense this year with a legit QB running threat. Folden lucked out again, though, as Williams is coming in very banged up with bad ribs after the UVA game. He'll be limited today.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I have a weird feeling that Switzer kids gonna go off on this secondary with crossing routes and slants.

Sorry to disapoint you, learn to cheer for team not against.

Our d-backs looked good in coverage today but it is still baffling how they simply refuse to look back for the ball on deep throws.

Advertisement
Back