Scarlett, Dex, and Walton discussion

I was just thinking about this today as well. this is 3 completely different styles. you have the slasher in Dex, the Tough runner in Walton and complete back in Scarlett. Even though i hate to compare anyone to NFL players the style i will compare

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Mccoy can stop on a dime which i havent seen from Dex but he can burn

Scarlett = Marshawn Lynch

Lynch is way tougher of course but he gets those yards and is a patient runner

Walton = Frank Gore

he may not be the size of Gore but they run for those tough yards and break from time to time.

This of course is MY HIGHLY Opinion. i would like to see how other compare them.

Great analysis on all 3 comparisons. If we get that production from them I see a lot of Canes fans smiling in the future.

If each of them turns into an All Pro / borderline Hall of Fame level player, than yes, there will be a lot of smiles.
1 of them are bound the be a bust. Me thinking Walton but w e shall see

Have you seen how hard this kid runs in a game? He hits the hole hard and a fast enough to seperate imo he reminds me of Yearby

Advertisement
I was just thinking about this today as well. this is 3 completely different styles. you have the slasher in Dex, the Tough runner in Walton and complete back in Scarlett. Even though i hate to compare anyone to NFL players the style i will compare

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

he may not be the size of Gore but they run for those tough yards and break from time to time.

This of course is MY HIGHLY Opinion. i would like to see how other compare them.

That's 3 horrible comparisons. Shake it off and do better.

Frank Gore....HAA

Very "highly"

Dexter comes in spring.

Scarlett comes in fall. He would come in spring but St. Thomas Aquinas does not allow early enrollment. Despite Scarlett being eligible for EE.

Walton is now coming in the fall with his reclassification to 2015.

Walton is the youngest of the three, followed by Dexter then Scarlett the oldest. Scarlett is a year older than both. Followed by Dexter who is 2 months apart from Walton.

Walton right now is about 185.

Dexter right now is about 195-200.

Scarlett is about 210 right now.

Considering, age, time they get on campus individually, their size and readiness.

Walton will receive a redshirt to grow in the weight room.

Scarlett and Dexter will be 1a and 1b when it comes to terms of which will play most snaps as a freshman. Dexter brings the versatility, electric style and freakish athleticism, And Scarlett brings the right out of the box prototype size and elite speed and athleticism.

Last edited:
These three kids are all filtthy. I kinda hate comparing them at this point because they're all recruits committed to our program and I want them all to succeed as much as the other. All three of them have the potential to be special, can't wait to see them come in and get after it. Wish we could bring Crokrite back too.

Advertisement
That came off soft, clearing they have different skill sets and strong points compared to one another. But they will complement each other nicely, wouldnt trade the package of the three of them (or even a combo of two of them) for any other tandem in the country committed to one program

As for the comparisons. Their ceilings that I have seen based on watching them. That I have mentioned in the past.

Scarlett I have said many times reminds me of a young Marshawn Lynch. Or a pre injury McGahee. Prototype, workhorse RB, elite speed.

Dexter I have said reminds me of a Jamaal Charles, also reminds me of Gio Bernard. Athletic, versatile RB. Electric.

Walton I have said reminds me of Emmitt, or Forte. I can see the Knowshon or Murray comparison too. Good size, good not great speed, Great vision and feet, jack of all trades, can do it all, moves the chains.

As for Yearby I have said he reminds me of Warrick Dunn or I even see some LeSean McCoy.

Take note, this is their ceilings. Doesn't mean they will reach it for sure. If they develop, hit the weight room and do what they need to do. They could reach it.

Also, I would love to see Gray at WR. I think that is the more natural position for him. His body looks more of a receiver than RB. Could be a great physical receiver with speed. Even though I like Gray at RB and think he could be great, I think he would be a natural at WR.

Last edited:

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

Frank Gore....HAA

Very "highly"

That was classic. Walton is like Gore how? Lynch is one of the toughest, hard nosed bulls in the NFL. The knock on Scarlett has been that he isn't a very tough runner. Sounds like another great comparison.

Advertisement

Dex = Lesean Mccoy

Walton = Frank Gore

Frank Gore....HAA

Very "highly"

That was classic. Walton is like Gore how? Lynch is one of the toughest, hard nosed bulls in the NFL. The knock on Scarlett has been that he isn't a very tough runner. Sounds like another great comparison.

I watched Gore live in high school and the only thing I can compare it to was Bo Jackson in tecmo bowl. He was probably the most explosive offensive freshman to ever step on campus at UM before his ACL tear and subsequent depression induced rapid weight gain.

Mark Walton Ht: 5-10 | Wt: 179 | 40: 4.68 | Age: 17 yrs 7 mo
Why are some people down on Walton? Because he is not a home-run threat. He does not have elite speed. At the college level it would be hard to imagine him having many 30+ yard runs. That, however, is not a problem because other backs on the team will be that electric type of runner. Some people also criticize his upright running style. While it's true that his stance prevents him from plowing through people on contact, it also allows him to side-step people like he so easily does.

So why will Walton be a great back for the U? Because he is great feet, great vision, great patience, great control of his running (this means he sets up his blocks well while running in space and can also control the defender while running in space), he is a good pass-catching running back, and also he almost always makes the first defender miss.

For as good as Duke and Yearby are right now, imagine how much well-rounded we would be right now if Mike James was on the team. Walton does not have the power to his game that James had, but Walton will consistently get positive chunks up the middle. He can and will get those 7-20 yard runs up the middle, which are huge in controlling the clock, tiring out a defense, and keeping the offensive drive alive. We will be very lucky to have Walton.

Jordan Scarlett Ht: 5-11 | Wt: 210 | Age: 18 yrs 8 mo
His game isn't about putting moves on you. He isn't Duke, he isn't Yearby, he isn't Barry Sanders or LeSean McCoy. His game is about finding the hole and hitting it fast. He has the prototypical body of today's running back. He has elite game-changing speed and the size to potential be a physical force. Some have criticized his physicality in the past, but supposedly he is doing a better job as an inside runner this year.

To compare him to a recent Cane, I'd say Lamar Miller. On film he doesn't look quite as fast and maybe has a little less shake to him, but he has that direct running style to him. And based off of high school films, he looks more like Todd Gurley to me, but I'm not saying he will have that type of career.

Dexter Williams Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 192 | 40: 4.54 | Age: 17 yrs 9 mo
Williams' game can pretty much be summed up as get to the sideline and outrun you. Seriously, any time he has the opportunity to break it to the sideline he will go laterally to get there. While on film Scarlett looks to have better top-end speed, Williams' speed also makes him a home-run threat. And to his credit Williams is more elusive in space and may have better acceleration. At 192 lbs Williams has the ability to break tackles and run people over, however he is not a power-runner or inside-runner by nature.

Personally I wouldn't want him as an every-down back, but I'd be more than happy with him as an every down player. He could kill it running from the spread. Under center I'd really only like him off-tackle...sweeps, tosses, and counters. And additionally, he could be lined up at receiver and be successful on jet sweeps and catching the ball.

-------------------------------------------

Losing Jordan Cronkrite sucks. Not only is he a polished, well-rounded, and explosive running back, but he is a great football player all around. If he goes on to become a Todd Gurley then we will all be kicking ourselves. But the fact of the matter is we will have an elite class of 3 prime-time players if we keep Walton, Scarlett, and Williams. And best of all, each of the 3 contributes something that the other doesn't have.

I really hope all of these guys turn out to be everything we want them to be. My concern is Coley. We have Duke and Yearby now and I think he underutilizes them. What do you think he's going to do when you add these three (+ or - Duke)? It's probably a good problem to have though.

Advertisement
I really hope all of these guys turn out to be everything we want them to be. My concern is Coley. We have Duke and Yearby now and I think he underutilizes them. What do you think he's going to do when you add these three (+ or - Duke)? It's probably a good problem to have though.

Stop the non-sense... The backs we have now are not the ground control, power type backs... So let's STOP trying to play that type of predictable football...

Coley has done a great job transitioning the offense towards its strengths, ie speed vs power. For the first time in years we have a balanced attack of run and pass. Everyone is catching balls and the backs are running free for big gains.

Talentwise - I see it Scarlett, Yearby, Williams, Walton. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

Advertisement
Back