In-person, day after reflection

canefan88xbl

Redshirt Freshman
Flew in from NYC at 9am on Saturday and flew out of Omaha at 6am Sunday. Its been a long day! I went into the game with the expectation that we would get run over and sadly it came true. Here are my observations:

The Good:
1. Brad Kaaya - his three interceptions (I know officially only two), were not good decisions. Its the first time I've felt the INTs were a result of poor decision making vs. poor throws. He also missed a few wide open receivers throughout the game, but all freshmen activities. Kid is a stud and his TD pass to Clive and Malcom reminded me of something we have seen since Ken.
2. Braxton/Malcolm/Duke/Clive - each of these guys had a bad momentum play, with none more costlier than Duke's fumble. As we were driving, the stadium, was extremely uneasy and I think if we score on that drive, we probably go on to win the game. With that said, I thought Malcolm and Braxton would be "go to" receivers, because they have great hands and know how to sit into coverage. Its nice to see this becoming a reality.

The bad:
The defense- its been talked to death. Its perplexing to see an undersized Tyriq or Thurston playing on the line and just getting engulfed by blockers or watching one corner, Kirby, and a safety playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage cover three wide receivers. Honestly, if we ever stopped the run, they could just go to a bubble screen for unlimited success.

Takeaway:
I walk out of the stadium and had two thoughts:

1. Nebraska is a better team, but we have so much more talent
2. The Duke game will most likely determine Al's future with the school

The coastal division is so bad (see: UNC vs. ECU), that you still have to feel decently confident about our chances. That does not mean I think its an accomplishment that gets our program in the right direction. However, if you use 2012 as a template, we won the Coastal with a functional offense and non-existent defense. We are definitely a more talented team than 2012.

Its a general consensus from the fans you meet at the game, that Al burnt up his NCAA goodwill with the by hanging on to D'Onfrio. If he would have cut him loose last season, I think fans would still be optimistic about him being the coach for the long haul (excluding the whole Penn St situation). However, his comments after last nights game show that he truly is going down with the ship. Any coach who says "we're not changing," after that type of performance is not someone I want to associate with...its just absurd. A good coach will 1) select a scheme that fits his talent 2) figure out the best way to communicate material so a player can grasp and if they cannot, revert back to 1. Al has done neither.

Side note: The Nebraska fans are by far the nicest group I've ever encountered. A number of people walked up to me and thanked me for visiting, wishes us luck, and inquired about how we've been treated. It truly was remarkable. I hope Sun Life returns the favor, because we all know that our home attendance isn't exactly a selling point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back