Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

Advertisement
I realize he plays a role. And because he has Mario's trust/respect, his role may be bigger than it otherwise would be, given his official job title.

So on one side, you have a concept of "not every eval hits, everyone makes mistakes, but we have been pretty successful in both targeting and landing guys". And on the other side you have the specific granular incidents of "but with this particular recruit, why did the decision come out the way that it did".

I've been honest, I've said that I was not impressed with the HANDLING of McNutt. I have no idea of whether he will ultimately succeed and thrive at the collegiate level, so it's too soon to say whether that was a great eval or a terrible eval. Regardless, I thought we handled the situation TERRIBLY.

As for other guys, I know we have not batted 1.000 and that is a part of life. I've known enough recruits over the years to realize there are MANY reasons why a kid may not choose to go to Miami. So, yeah, for those reasons and others, I do not think our biggest obstacle is Dennis Smith.

So let's think about this and try to break it down. Let's take an incredibly highly-rated kid who MIGHT not turn into a first-rounder. Let's look at Samson. Both Cristobal and Mirabal felt good about this kid being a Day 1 draft choice, I know that for a fact. So while it might turn out to be a "bad eval", it sure as **** wasn't a Dennis Smith eval. Then you look at a 5-star we passed on (McNutt), and, sure, perhaps Dennis Smith's eval was disproportionately large. Maybe it's a miss that we will regret for years. But AT THIS MOMENT, it hasn't even impacted us. Maybe it will, but it's too early to tell. Now, if Dennis was the guy who said "no" to Lagway, then it would be more of an immediate impact.

Now, as far as guys we have missed on, if we don't discuss names and specifics, then it is highly speculative.

I could go back decades to tell you about guys that had so-so visits to Miami and ended up elsewhere. Doesn't make things ideal, but it's also not "new" or "unique".

I don't know all the answers, but I also don't think one guy is the answer to all of our concerns and problems either.

Mario has been doing this a long time. If Dennis was feeding him defective evals, I think he can figure that out fairly quickly. We shall see.

And for the record, I'm also not super-fond of the schtick, and would like to see some things change. Yeah, the Tweets are fun and all, but Dennis plays into a certain SoFla stereotype that I'm not a fan of. That's why I always posted that picture of him on the LifeWallet jet holding up the boiled peanuts, because I thought it was goofy.
You make a lot of fair points. Between my experiences and those of my peers I felt a certain way. And his goofy demeanor rubs me the wrong way too. I’ll keep my bashing to a minimum. Hopefully we go undefeated and I can look like a *******

Advertisement
You make a lot of fair points. Between my experiences and those of my peers I felt a certain way. And his goofy demeanor rubs me the wrong way too. I’ll keep my bashing to a minimum. Hopefully we go undefeated and I can look like a *******

All good, sir. I have taken my shots at ADs over the years, as well as various football/basketball/baseball coaches, and I try to disclose the basis for my feelings.

I'm not going to go out drinking with Dennis anytime soon, thus I was curious as to whatever specifics you felt comfortable describing. No problem either way.

I've got my eye on him. You're not the first to register a concern with him, but we also seem to have had a lot of successes too. I'd prefer that we have a lot of strong voices in the process, not just one dopey loud voice as we had with D'Onofrio.

Advertisement
And for the record, I'm also not super-fond of the schtick, and would like to see some things change. Yeah, the Tweets are fun and all, but Dennis plays into a certain SoFla stereotype that I'm not a fan of. That's why I always posted that picture of him on the LifeWallet jet holding up the boiled peanuts, because I thought it was goofy.

Definitely Goofy. He's got a little montage going on between Manny Diaz on the yacht and Dugans in his Donk.

Advertisement
They are confident with Miami too
Ole Miss boards indicate us, I believe. I don't know on USC.

Let's get TB soon. Baron, Bain, Mesidor, Alston, Clark, Barrow, Cook with FR 5 stars in the three-four deep....don't think anyone in the ACC can match that.

Combine that with Cam and Damien...good lord, we are stacked.

Agree. Dude is explosive. If the shoulder issues are resolvable, he's a better prospect than Mesidor, especially with that foot.
If an NFL scout saw him or Mesidor its an easy pick for them, Baron has the measurables IMO where Mesidor probably wont even play DE in the league.

Advertisement
The "NIL deal" can't "dictate" anything, as it is not a pay-for-play deal.

If someone is still taking classes elsewhere in order to graduate, that is what "dictates".

Summer is not "early" for a transfer. If a player is not close to graduation, he can transfer at any time, and he will most likely enroll in May. And if a player is getting close to graduation, he will graduate at the old schol and enroll in graduate school at UM as soon as possible.
You are mixing transfer and graduation. Transfers players can enroll in any term. Summer sessions are valid enrollment terms in UM. Even graduated players have to wait for a valid enrollment window.

If an NFL scout saw him or Mesidor its an easy pick for them, Baron has the measurables IMO where Mesidor probably wont even play DE in the league.
The cool thing about trying to figure out who is better out of Mesidor or him is if you get them both it doesn’t matter

guy satisfying GIF

You are mixing transfer and graduation. Transfers players can enroll in any term. Summer sessions are valid enrollment terms in UM. Even graduated players have to wait for a valid enrollment window.

Uh, no, you are wrong. Not only that, you didn't understand what I was hinting at. All good, believe what you want.

Advertisement
Back