Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

Advertisement
I would say around 12.3% actually

California State Tax
Income*Tax Rate
$0 to $10,4121%
Over $10,412 to $24,6842%
Over $24,684 to $38,9594%
Over $38,959 to $54,0816%
Over $54,081 to $68,3508%
Over $68,350 to $349,1379.3%
Over $349,137 to $418,96110.3%
Over $418,961 to $698,27111.3%
Over $698,271 to $1,000,00012.3%
So basically kids are leaving large sums of money on the table to play in Cali. Hmmmm

Smart kids.

Advertisement
respectfully you only know about who we got. Not how we got them and certainly not who we missed and who we passed on bc of this dimwit… I’m happy with where we are but we could have been way better.
Connor Lew is the only one you’ve ever cited. Is that it?

In theory? Yes! Pretty sure the NIL deal should dictate that he is enrolling early in summer sessions.

The "NIL deal" can't "dictate" anything, as it is not a pay-for-play deal.

If someone is still taking classes elsewhere in order to graduate, that is what "dictates".

Summer is not "early" for a transfer. If a player is not close to graduation, he can transfer at any time, and he will most likely enroll in May. And if a player is getting close to graduation, he will graduate at the old schol and enroll in graduate school at UM as soon as possible.

Advertisement
The fact that this man is the gatekeeper of our talent acquisition is the scariest fcking thing as far as this program goes. He’s a zooted out jersey shore looking lawn gnome

The fact that you think he is the "gatekeeper" is fairly funny. He's one voice, he's not the only voice.

Advertisement
IMG_9572.jpeg

Advertisement
toc, youre an OG so I respect your opinion. In my experience and in the experiences of some peers, he has been. Can only speak to my experience

I realize he plays a role. And because he has Mario's trust/respect, his role may be bigger than it otherwise would be, given his official job title.

So on one side, you have a concept of "not every eval hits, everyone makes mistakes, but we have been pretty successful in both targeting and landing guys". And on the other side you have the specific granular incidents of "but with this particular recruit, why did the decision come out the way that it did".

I've been honest, I've said that I was not impressed with the HANDLING of McNutt. I have no idea of whether he will ultimately succeed and thrive at the collegiate level, so it's too soon to say whether that was a great eval or a terrible eval. Regardless, I thought we handled the situation TERRIBLY.

As for other guys, I know we have not batted 1.000 and that is a part of life. I've known enough recruits over the years to realize there are MANY reasons why a kid may not choose to go to Miami. So, yeah, for those reasons and others, I do not think our biggest obstacle is Dennis Smith.

So let's think about this and try to break it down. Let's take an incredibly highly-rated kid who MIGHT not turn into a first-rounder. Let's look at Samson. Both Cristobal and Mirabal felt good about this kid being a Day 1 draft choice, I know that for a fact. So while it might turn out to be a "bad eval", it sure as **** wasn't a Dennis Smith eval. Then you look at a 5-star we passed on (McNutt), and, sure, perhaps Dennis Smith's eval was disproportionately large. Maybe it's a miss that we will regret for years. But AT THIS MOMENT, it hasn't even impacted us. Maybe it will, but it's too early to tell. Now, if Dennis was the guy who said "no" to Lagway, then it would be more of an immediate impact.

Now, as far as guys we have missed on, if we don't discuss names and specifics, then it is highly speculative.

I could go back decades to tell you about guys that had so-so visits to Miami and ended up elsewhere. Doesn't make things ideal, but it's also not "new" or "unique".

I don't know all the answers, but I also don't think one guy is the answer to all of our concerns and problems either.

Mario has been doing this a long time. If Dennis was feeding him defective evals, I think he can figure that out fairly quickly. We shall see.

And for the record, I'm also not super-fond of the schtick, and would like to see some things change. Yeah, the Tweets are fun and all, but Dennis plays into a certain SoFla stereotype that I'm not a fan of. That's why I always posted that picture of him on the LifeWallet jet holding up the boiled peanuts, because I thought it was goofy.

Advertisement
Back