2024 WR Jeremiah Smith (Commits to OSU 12/14/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why the bashing kids thing is so lame to me lol its like u basically feel the same way about the kids on our team currently but they just happened to have chose us. I understand fans are just emotional but there gotta be a line drawn somewhere imo

I am not one to generally bash kids for going elsewhere. Everyone has the right to go wherever they want to go for school. But my observation is most of the recruits who scorn UM and get bashed around here get bashed following some lack of respect.

When Evan Neal signed with Alabama, of course it was disappointing, but most people didn't bash him because his recruitment was pretty clean and respectful. He wasn't flipping hats, throwing upside-down Us, or going buck wild on social media. And I think the overwhelming majority of people on CIS, while disappointed, blamed the staff and coaches for not pulling him and didn't disrespect Neal for his choice.

But the Jobes, Stewarts, and hat tossers of South Florida (and their handlers) can get trashed all up and down this board for all I care. All day, any day. If they don't owe UM anything, UM doesn't owe them anything. And if they publicly disrespect a university trying to offer them an athletic scholarship, I have zero issue with fans of that university dragging them (at least on a fan website... going directly after them on social media platforms like Twitter is too far).

On the flip side, I do wish we (myself included) were collectively better about showing our own players loyalty. The kids who choose UM. It's always fair to criticize poor performance, but it gets personal sometimes when fans get caught up in the heat of the moment. But, even perpetual whipping boys like Flagg and Ivey can exceed expectations and grow (two pretty good games in a row for Flagg, and maybe Ivey's best performance as a Cane last week). As @LuCane has correctly noted recently, as a group we don't have the same energy praising those guys when they're good as we do torching them when they aren't. That part's a shame.

Ultimately, we all draw our own line.

Advertisement
I am not one to generally bash kids for going elsewhere. Everyone has the right to go wherever they want to go for school. But my observation is most of the recruits who scorn UM and get bashed around here get bashed following some lack of respect.

When Evan Neal signed with Alabama, of course it was disappointing, but most people didn't bash him because his recruitment was pretty clean and respectful. He wasn't flipping hats, throwing upside-down Us, or going buck wild on social media. And I think the overwhelming majority of people on CIS, while disappointed, blamed the staff and coaches for not pulling him and didn't disrespect Neal for his choice.

But the Jobes, Stewarts, and hat tossers of South Florida (and their handlers) can get trashed all up and down this board for all I care. All day, any day. If they don't owe UM anything, UM doesn't owe them anything. And if they publicly disrespect a university trying to offer them an athletic scholarship, I have zero issue with fans of that university dragging them (at least on a fan website... going directly after them on social media platforms like Twitter is too far).

On the flip side, I do wish we (myself included) were collectively better about showing our own players loyalty. The kids who choose UM. It's always fair to criticize poor performance, but it gets personal sometimes when fans get caught up in the heat of the moment. But, even perpetual whipping boys like Flagg and Ivey can exceed expectations and grow (two pretty good games in a row for Flagg, and maybe Ivey's best performance as a Cane last week). As @LuCane has correctly noted recently, as a group we don't have the same energy praising those guys when they're good as we do torching them when they aren't. That part's a shame.

Ultimately, we all draw our own line.
Agreed I understand its fandom its just lame to me at times.

And flagg especially deserves high praise he has been one of our best players

Advertisement
Advertisement
D6F552B4-E68C-4C53-9CD9-A445BEB2520A.gif

Advertisement
Man 2024 recruiting class can be even better than the 2023 class which would be absolutely insane since we're already on pace for a top 6 to 8 class now

Man 2024 recruiting class can be even better than the 2023 class which would be absolutely insane since we're already on pace for a top 6 to 8 class now

You're not wrong, but we've been doing this for 20 years. The next class is always loaded, it'll always be better next year, etc.

Thankfully we hired one of the best recruiters in the country, where some of this stuff might actually come to fruition. But yes, we need Smiff, badly. And if we do sign a ~Top 5-6 class this year, and we actually win some games next year, 2024 has a chance to be absolutely silly. That's how you build a roster.

Advertisement
You're not wrong, but we've been doing this for 20 years. The next class is always loaded, it'll always be better next year, etc.

Thankfully we hired one of the best recruiters in the country, where some of this stuff might actually come to fruition. But yes, we need Smiff, badly. And if we do sign a ~Top 5-6 class this year, and we actually win some games next year, 2024 has a chance to be absolutely silly. That's how you build a roster.
Exactly we should be able to back up all the hype with actually landing these recruits this year lol, and two back to back legit classes like we're thinking has you in playoff contention long as we have solid offense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back