WQAM Joe Rose Show 4/22 with Diaz

the storm

Banned Under CIS Martial Law until 11/5/20
Did anyone listen yesterday when Manny was on with Joe Rose? If so can you post a link or do a quick recap? Many thanks.

:stormwarningflag-sm:

Advertisement
Please give me a summary of the interview? I am deaf in RL. Many thanks in advance.

On Tate: He was judged based on a partial assessment, mid spring, by outsiders. Compared it to judging a student’s collage performance based on their tests in 4th grade. Need to wait on the finished product. Sees all three guys as having a legit chance of starting, race is wide open, sounded excited by the competition.

How do you decide which guy is QB1: it’s up to them to make it obvious. 1. Limit errors. 2. Throw with accuracy. All 3 guys have improved there, and they haven’t made final judgements on unfinished products.

On OL: pleased with progress but understands they’ve still got some matchup issues with 1st team DL. Played much better as a unit the last two scrimmages and sees real improvement.

On impactful young guys (EE Freshman): reiterates how much maturity it takes just to EE, so those guys are already wired differently. Payton, Harvey and Zion, especially.

On Zion: there are certain guys who look one way in high school but have the frame that gets strong better than guys who are bigger at a young age. There’s nothing that says being 300lbs makes you a better lineman, it’s all about power and technique. Emphasized evaluation and Feeley.

On KJ and Mallory: KJ has done everything well since he’s been here. Mallory is a matchup nightmare, has insane catch radius. Subtweets Brevin.

On DE, could it be the strongest position on team? It needs to be strong, for sure. It’s what separates elite teams. It’s disrupts the offense more than anything else in the game, with lard butt OL (my words) going backwards vs human Predators going forward. Recruits should want to play it here because it’s a glamor position.

Are elite DEs made or found? (Natural skill vs teachable technique? “There definitely is a knack for it”. Bend ability, “some guys are just hard to block.” Some guys are just relentless. “Just getting one sack a game is an all American”. That’s just one play. But guys are judged here based on their overall disruptiveness. That’s why we need depth and to rotate guys.

On DT, losing GWill: Impressed with the jumps of “Jade” and Ford (who didn’t play Saturday). Miller played his best on Saturday. Adding UCLA transfer and great freshman will help. “We have guys that will fill the void left by Willis and Tito.” Miami 4-3 need dominant DTs.

Any positions you feel are still thin? Will evaluate after having some space from Spring, and is sure there are some spots they need more, but won’t just take bodies. Need Miami caliber talent.

On Portal: “We may take a peak inside and see that’s in there.”

On Offensive “Chain”: “we will have an offensive counterpart” but not showing either until they are ready to unveil both.

How did the Orlando visit go (as prep for 8.24 visit): better than could’ve expected. Basically a dress rehearsal, loved the stadium and staff, the energy. Crowd was amazing, felt like a game and not a scrimmage. So happy for how it went and they’ll be ready for 8.24.

On upcoming Women’s clinic: will be fun and they’re looking forward to it, teaching the female fans more than their husbands and boyfriends can. “It’s a four hour camp though, so I’m not sure what we will do with the extra three hours after we teach them that.”

- Will have a Paradise Camp.

Advertisement
Advertisement
On Tate: He was judged based on a partial assessment, mid spring, by outsiders. Compared it to judging a student’s collage performance based on their tests in 4th grade. Need to wait on the finished product. Sees all three guys as having a legit chance of starting, race is wide open, sounded excited by the competition.

How do you decide which guy is QB1: it’s up to them to make it obvious. 1. Limit errors. 2. Throw with accuracy. All 3 guys have improved there, and they haven’t made final judgements on unfinished products.

On OL: pleased with progress but understands they’ve still got some matchup issues with 1st team DL. Played much better as a unit the last two scrimmages and sees real improvement.

On impactful young guys (EE Freshman): reiterates how much maturity it takes just to EE, so those guys are already wired differently. Payton, Harvey and Zion, especially.

On Zion: there are certain guys who look one way in high school but have the frame that gets strong better than guys who are bigger at a young age. There’s nothing that says being 300lbs makes you a better lineman, it’s all about power and technique. Emphasized evaluation and Feeley.

On KJ and Mallory: KJ has done everything well since he’s been here. Mallory is a matchup nightmare, has insane catch radius. Subtweets Brevin.

On DE, could it be the strongest position on team? It needs to be strong, for sure. It’s what separates elite teams. It’s disrupts the offense more than anything else in the game, with lard butt OL (my words) going backwards vs human Predators going forward. Recruits should want to play it here because it’s a glamor position.

Are elite DEs made or found? (Natural skill vs teachable technique? “There definitely is a knack for it”. Bend ability, “some guys are just hard to block.” Some guys are just relentless. “Just getting one sack a game is an all American”. That’s just one play. But guys are judged here based on their overall disruptiveness. That’s why we need depth and to rotate guys.

On DT, losing GWill: Impressed with the jumps of “Jade” and Ford (who didn’t play Saturday). Miller played his best on Saturday. Adding UCLA transfer and great freshman will help. “We have guys that will fill the void left by Willis and Tito.” Miami 4-3 need dominant DTs.

Any positions you feel are still thin? Will evaluate after having some space from Spring, and is sure there are some spots they need more, but won’t just take bodies. Need Miami caliber talent.

On Portal: “We may take a peak inside and see that’s in there.”

On Offensive “Chain”: “we will have an offensive counterpart” but not showing either until they are ready to unveil both.

How did the Orlando visit go (as prep for 8.24 visit): better than could’ve expected. Basically a dress rehearsal, loved the stadium and staff, the energy. Crowd was amazing, felt like a game and not a scrimmage. So happy for how it went and they’ll be ready for 8.24.

On upcoming Women’s clinic: will be fun and they’re looking forward to it, teaching the female fans more than their husbands and boyfriends can. “It’s a four hour camp though, so I’m not sure what we will do with the extra three hours after we teach them that.”

- Will have a Paradise Camp.

You did much more what I asked for! Many thanks! :)

Ha. Going at the fans may be funny and all in fun here, but simultaneously brought back cringe-worthy memories of his former boss and the predecessors who handled fan comments by attacking the fans instead of the comments.

Coach Diaz is a little over a year removed from allowing a conversion on 3rd down almost every other time it was attempted. He cut that by an incredible near 50% to 25% in 2018, but also had the most disruptive DT in the nation and three senior DBs helping the cause. Let’s not get too guapo just yet. And, that’s coming from perhaps one of his biggest supporters on this site over the years.

Cuban Al Golden is saying all the right things!

Advertisement
Ha. Going at the fans may be funny and all in fun here, but simultaneously brought back cringe-worthy memories of his former boss and the predecessors who handled fan comments by attacking the fans instead of the comments.

Coach Diaz is a little over a year removed from allowing a conversion on 3rd down almost every other time it was attempted. He cut that by an incredible near 50% to 25% in 2018, but also had the most disruptive DT in the nation and three senior DBs helping the cause. Let’s not get too guapo just yet. And, that’s coming from perhaps one of his biggest supporters on this site over the years.

Funny you mentioned that about Manny, I am working on writing up something about how Blake Bakers defense at La Tech over the years has benefited from having two elite Dline coaches in Oscar Giles (2014) and Rick Petri (2015 - still at La Tech). Rick Petri is one of the best DLine coaches in the last 20+ years (he doesn't like to recruit, but he can turn coal in raw diamonds). He was an exceptional teacher at Miami, and at Duke he had those kids playing 3 levels above their talent.

This will be the 1st year for Manny and Baker to not have an elite dline coach to rely on, so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

Go Canes

Funny you mentioned that about Manny, I am working on writing up something about how Blake Bakers defense at La Tech over the years has benefited from having two elite Dline coaches in Oscar Giles (2014) and Rick Petri (2015 - still at La Tech). Rick Petri is one of the best DLine coaches in the last 20+ years (he doesn't like to recruit, but he can turn coal in raw diamonds). He was an exceptional teacher at Miami, and at Duke he had those kids playing 3 levels above their talent.

This will be the 1st year for Manny and Baker to not have an elite dline coach to rely on, so it will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

Go Canes
The good thing is, if healthy, they’ll have perhaps the best rotation of 4 DEs in the nation. IMO, the best pass rushing trio in the nation and best at Miami since Mcdougle/Williams/Green. But, nothing and I mean nothing changes things like a consistently disruptive, upfield DT. So let’s see what really happens in replacing a 23 year old Gerald Willis.

Ha. Going at the fans may be funny and all in fun here, ... Let’s not get too guapo just yet. And, that’s coming from perhaps one of his biggest supporters on this site over the years.

There’s no downside.

You don’t actually think coaches or players actually care what fans think, do you?

Coaches especially aren’t built that way..not the good ones nor the bad ones. Most of the time they spend hiding their disdain for fans.

Advertisement
There’s no downside.

You don’t actually think coaches or players actually care what fans think, do you?

Coaches especially aren’t built that way..not the good ones nor the bad ones. Most of the time they spend hiding their disdain for fans.
No. I know they care. You may be surprised what members of staffs have visited boards and commented (internally and otherwise) on what people say on message boards and twitter, etc. You can speak from assumptions you think make logical sense or take my word for what I’ve seen and been told by members of past teams. Does it mean they change what they’re doing or give credence to it? Nah, probably not. But, they care enough to spend resources and energy on it.

You can also ignore recorded statements made by almost every bad coach we’ve had here over the past 15 years. Either way is fine by me. This one is a losing battle for your reasonableness-driven approach.

Go Canes
Don't sleep on Coach Stroud, he has a long history coaching DLines & don't minimize Diaz's success as a D Coordinator down to just having an elite DL Coach.

Diaz did the same thing at NC St, Midd Tenn St, La Tech & Miss St as he did at Miami just with less available talent.

Our Defensive lines productivity is not going to drop off a cliff because Jess Simpson & Willis are gone. This notion has been spouted about all offseason, it's both funny & kinda bogus altogether.

I'm more concerned about playcalling than players. I believe the scheme as a whole makes some players look better than what they are. It could also be the coaches putting players in position to do what their strengths are. But I have more questions about Bakers playcalling than anything else on the defense for sure.

Don't sleep on Coach Stroud, he has a long history coaching DLines & don't minimize Diaz's success as a D Coordinator down to just having an elite DL Coach.

Diaz did the same thing at NC St, Midd Tenn St, La Tech & Miss St as he did at Miami just with less available talent.

Our Defensive lines productivity is not going to drop off a cliff because Jess Simpson & Willis are gone. This notion has been spouted about all offseason, it's both funny & kinda bogus altogether.

At La Tech when Diaz was DC he had Oscar Giles as dline coach and when he was at Miss St he had David Turner as dline coach who is a very good coach.

Don't get me wrong Diaz is a very good DC and will be a very HC. I am just saying both he and Baker have benefited greatly from exceptional dline coaching. As for Stroud he is living off his NC State off success from 13 yrs ago that hasn't been even remotely repeated by him since then. Any success the dline has this year is can be attributed to prior coaching which instilled good techniques. Hence Stroud's very own statement he is not change anything, just maintain what is already in place.

Stroud is a stop gap at best. His value to Diaz is as a chief of staff, not a long term dline coach. After the season Diaz will find his long term solution at dline coach.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back