With Burns, Are We Half-Finished?

UMFarArcher

All-ACC
With the addition of Burns to the U, that makes us about half-full of available scholarships. NO?

Be nice to get a possible list of possible recruits that are actually POSSIBLE to get to the U, to fill positions we still have some need on.

Advertisement
11 more schollies to go to hit 20.

0 QB - done
0-1 RB - T. Folston, AJ Turman
1 WR - Cunningham, Whitfield (seems like Coley is not realistic)
3 OL - ?????
0-1 DE - T Williams
1 DT - Bostwick, Bain
2 LB - M. Thomas, Grace
1 CB - Alexander, Hargreaves, Likely
2 S - Carter, M. Parker

DL: Bain, bostwick
LB: Grace, Thomas
S: carter
OL: Kirkland, 2 more?
WR: AJL (from prep), Coley/Cunningham/Whitfield
RB: 1 more - Turman?

Advertisement
DL: Bain, bostwick
LB: Grace, Thomas
S: carter
OL: Kirkland, 2 more?
WR: AJL (from prep), Coley/Cunningham/Whitfield
RB: 1 more - Turman?

i agree with this except... i dont think we need another RB, I think we go and get 2 in 2014 class. we will have james, clements, dallas, duke, dillard and we have a good walk on named darrius hughes, he did a great job in the spring. So I think 1 will do for this year, Collins.

We don't need Gall, Kirkland, AND 2 more o linemen. That would make 4 offensive linemen.

IMO we take Gall and Kirkland and that's it... and that's only IF we land Kirkland.

Advertisement
We don't need Gall, Kirkland, AND 2 more o linemen. That would make 4 offensive linemen.

IMO we take Gall and Kirkland and that's it... and that's only IF we land Kirkland.

4 OL is minimum. Our OL depth for 2014 is atrocious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me, or does this guy say this same crap about the O-line all the time???... Wow.

If I am not mistaken and no one leaves before the 2014 season, our O-line should look like this:

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

Now, Lets just say Gall sticks and we get Kirkland or someone else to play on the interior this year and Darling sticks and McDermott's lil bro joins in like he is expected in 2014... Thats 11 O-linemen... 9 with at least one year on campus. What is so atrocious??!! ... Maybe we might need one more guy who can play Center to be included but I don't see the problem here.

Is it me, or does this guy say this same crap about the O-line all the time???... Wow.

If I am not mistaken and no one leaves before the 2014 season, our O-line should look like this:

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

Now, Lets just say Gall sticks and we get Kirkland or someone else to play on the interior this year and Darling sticks and McDermott's lil bro joins in like he is expected in 2014... Thats 11 O-linemen... 9 with at least one year on campus. What is so atrocious??!! ... Maybe we might need one more guy who can play Center to be included but I don't see the problem here.

We could also go the JC route.

Advertisement

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

11 OL is pathetic. You can barely field a 2 deep with 11 guys. Meanwhile, we are stacked 8 deep at TE. 5 deep at DE.

Why cant folks do simple math?

We have 85 schollies available for 22 starting spots. That means you should go almost 4 deep at every position. OL makes up 20-25% of the starting positions on the team? That means we should carry 18ish OL on the roster. WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU SHORTCHANGE OL??????? It's the second most important unit on the team besides a QB. Without an OL you cant do ANYTHING on offense, run, throw, NOTHING.

Not only that, OL is incredibly difficult to project. You could probably OVERRECRUIT OL to ensure that you give yourself the best possible chance at finding the best 10 guys you can to fill in the two deep.

No one seems to be able to think past the next 2 minutes, think BIG PICTURE. Seriously. I was out there pointing out that the 2008 class lacked enough CBs a few years back while everyone was creaming over the class. I was told that i was being ridiculous, worrying about nothing. lol. We all know how that turned out. We ended up enrolling something like 4 CB in FOUR YEARS and having to play converted RBs, Shame Forest rejects, and converted safeties there in 2011.

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

We could also go the JC route.

Looks a lot like that's what our recruiting failures at OL will lead to. Hopefully we end up with McKinnies instead of Turnstile McMeans.

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

11 OL is pathetic. You can barely field a 2 deep with 11 guys. Meanwhile, we are stacked 8 deep at TE. 5 deep at DE.

We have 85 schollies available for 22 starting spots. That means you should go almost 4 deep at every position. OL makes up 20-25% of the starting positions on the team? That means we should carry 18ish OL on the roster. WHY IN GOD'S NAME WOULD YOU SHORTCHANGE OL??????? It's the second most important unit on the team besides a QB. Without an OL you cant do ANYTHING on offense, run, throw, NOTHING.

Not only that, OL is incredibly difficult to project. You could probably OVERRECRUIT OL to ensure that you give yourself the best possible chance at finding the best 10 guys you can to fill in the two deep.

No one seems to be able to think past the next 2 minutes, think BIG PICTURE. Seriously. I was out there pointing out that the 2008 class lacked enough CBs a few years back while everyone was creaming over the class. I was told that i was being ridiculous, worrying about nothing. lol. We all know how that turned out. We ended up enrolling something like 4 CB in FOUR YEARS and having to play converted RBs, Shame Forest rejects, and converted safeties there in 2011.

You're going to have an aneurysm on this topic. For real. Might wanna dial it back a bit.

Obviously we need OL, but that's the weakest position in our recruiting base. It ain't easy, and a bunch of JAGs like Hunter Wells and Junior Alexis probably won't help.

We need impact players, and I don't doubt we're looking.

We've never had an easy time recruiting OL.

Advertisement

You're right, but the interesting thing is we've been pumping out as many NFL offensive linemen as anybody. Winston, Myers, Franklin, Butler, McKinnie, all starters this year. Carey was a long time starter as well.

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

We will sign more than just Darling and McDermott next year. I think next year's OL class will be 4-5 deep, maybe more. Or at least it should be. Golden doesn't strike me as the type to ignore any position let alone the OL.

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

You're going to have an aneurysm on this topic. For real. Might wanna dial it back a bit.

Obviously we need OL, but that's the weakest position in our recruiting base. It ain't easy, and a bunch of JAGs like Hunter Wells and Junior Alexis probably won't help.

Yes OL is the weakest position in our recruiting base but that doesnt make the excuse. I'm all in with AG, but he said it himself. "We need balance." In the meantime, as mentioned, TE/DE are both stock-piling numbers unless Grimble/Pierre are strictle 3 techniques. So unless AG plans on letting some of these guys walk or he plans to switch them again(Dye,Perry), we don't need 3. I believe the same with WR and CB. I know there are always kids too good to not offer, but OL will be pathetic unless quality guys are brought in. Bringing in 4 JAG's ala Wells, who will never start a single game will only delay the inevitable down the road. We will end up with a stack of OL who dont play and just wast scholies

Last edited:

Bunche- Sr.
Feliciano- Sr.
Wells- Sr. or Rs Jr.
McDermott- Sr.
Gadbois- Jr. or Rs Soph
Flowers- Jr. or Rs Soph
Isadora- Jr. or Rs Soph

Yes OL is the weakest position in our recruiting base but that doesnt make the excuse. I'm all in with AG, but he said it himself. "We need balance." In the meantime, as mentioned, TE/DE are both stock-piling numbers unless Grimble/Pierre are strictle 3 techniques. So unless AG plans on letting some of these guys walk or he plans to switch them again(Dye,Perry), we don't need 3. I believe the same with WR and CB. I know there are always kids too good to not offer, but OL will be pathetic unless quality guys are brought in. Bringing in 4 JAG's ala Wells, who will never start a single game will only delay the inevitable down the road. We will end up with a stack of OL who dont play and just wast scholies

Exactly.

Balance.

4 QB
6 RB/FB
5 TE
9 WR
18 OL
16 DL
10 LB
15 DB
2 K/P

That's 85 kids and perfect roster balance. TE goes 5 deep, DL goes 4 deep, and you still are able to get the right amount of OL - 18, without cannibalizing any other position. This aint rocket science. lol.

And regarding JAGS on OL...the scary thing is that not only are the numbers going to be bad in 2014, almost all of them are unproven. Feliciano and Bunche are it as far as proven kids go on OL. What happens if kids like McDermott dont live up to their hype? Instead of having at least 2 centers to back him up, we are stuck with a converted DE in Junior Alexis and that is it at center. The only other kid we could throw in there are true FR from the 2014 class...lol... do we really wanna throw true FR OL in there? Leaving our OL shorthanded means our evaluations have to be near perfect to field a legit 2 deep at OL - we have no room for error.

Advertisement
Back