Will New York City become our Italy?

305to954

All ACC
The New York Times must see it coming and is adjusting its reporting accordingly:

Well in fairness..one map from NY Times was from January when the virus was exclusively isolated in Wuhan..the other tweet you highlighted was from March referring the virus that is now global and not exclusively isolated in Wuhan. now let’s not ignore facts and make sure info shared is not incomplete lol

Tit-e-skr

Sophomore
Population density is one of the accelerants to this fire.

Another is areas were there have been frequent back-and-forth travel between the area in question and China or the Far East..

Actually, my second point is the foundation for the beginning.
The Puget Sound area, Cali and NYC probably are 1-3 in Asian population for the U.S. Makes sense travel wise for sure.

MotoSniper

Palo Verde All-American
New York now has 25% of all Coronavirus cases in the United States with cases exploding in certain areas.

I think when all is said and done, California unfortunately will surpass New York. People living here are idiots. Half the population is not taking this serious and continue to wander about outside with no regard. Another portion of people are selfish POS who hoard supplies and would stab you in the throat for a roll of TP...then you have the minority of us who try to be safe and good citizens by being responsible, conscientious shoppers, and try to help others at greater risk. I don't understand why Americans have such an issue with following directions. China has laid out the roadmap for beating this...basically sacrificing a little bit of freedom in the short term for the greater good of our community, and self quarantining whether symptomatic or not.

MotoSniper

Palo Verde All-American
Population density is one of the accelerants to this fire.

Another is areas were there have been frequent back-and-forth travel between the area in question and China or the Far East..

Actually, my second point is the foundation for the beginning.
Totally agree, that's why we in California are fùcked with the amount of foreign exchange students from the far east, Asian population that travels back and forth frequently, etc. In my opinion, the virus has been in California since as early as November. Sure, we weren't aware or testing for it back then, but it is my belief that foreign students that went home to China for Thanksgiving break & Christmas break brought it back to the West Coast of the U.S. I had treated patients during Christmas time and in January that presented with the same symptoms being reported now, which are non-specific symptoms related to a viral upper respiratory infection, but the symptoms seemed more severe than usual. It's also flu season and folks showing up to the hospital with flu like symptoms and being diagnosed with pneumonia as a result due to underlying co-morbidities is nothing new. Again, I could be wrong, but I definitely think this virus has been on our shores longer than we think. My wife and I had the "Flu" 5 weeks ago that resulted in chest tightness/congestion, and shortness of breath. Was it COVID-19? Maybe, I definitely could have acquired it treating patients at my hospital. We also have a large Asian & Russian population here in SoCal that travels back and forth fairly frequently.

Last edited:

jkdood

Junior
Thanks Moto for being a dedicated doctor in these trying times.

I shudder at the many uncertainties and unknowns. It's even hard to believe that they still do not know to what degree asymptomatic people can transmit to others. Isolating everyone who tests positive and at some point imposing tests involuntarily (and then quarantining) could make this country seem like a gulag.

One bright hope is a treatment drug like remdesivir. Wouldn't it be nice if it turned out you could give this to everyone diagnosed as positively infected immediately, and stave off the severe illness, and also make the recipient not contagious. We do not know this to be impossible or even unlikely, but without more FDA speed-ups or emergency-use, and/or a Manhattan-type project, such a simple answer goes untried...

...I bet if it were allowed to a) test without symptoms just because feared exposure and b) volunteer for immediate remdesivir, we would have thousands of testers in a trial immediately and maybe a miraculous answer within weeks.

Sigh.

tcgrad1014

All-ACC
Putting too much hope in remdesivir is a big mistake. That drug was a giant turd against Ebola. Big study coming out in April on its effectiveness against covid19. As of now all the evidence is anecdotal.

Go Canes!!

All ACC
I think when all is said and done, California unfortunately will surpass New York. People living here are idiots. Half the population is not taking this serious and continue to wander about outside with no regard. Another portion of people are selfish POS who hoard supplies and would stab you in the throat for a roll of TP...then you have the minority of us who try to be safe and good citizens by being responsible, conscientious shoppers, and try to help others at greater risk. I don't understand why Americans have such an issue with following directions. China has laid out the roadmap for beating this...basically sacrificing a little bit of freedom in the short term for the greater good of our community, and self quarantining whether symptomatic or not.

Not sure but I think in the end, population density mixed with the stupidity you discussed will determine the biggest loser here. So many people in NY crammed together makes it a recipe for disaster.

Guess only time will tell.

Go Canes!!

All ACC
Totally agree, that's why we in California are fùcked with the amount of foreign exchange students from the far east, Asian population that travels back and forth frequently, etc. In my opinion, the virus has been in California since as early as November. Sure, we weren't aware or testing for it back then, but it is my belief that foreign students that went home to China for Thanksgiving break & Christmas break brought it back to the West Coast of the U.S. I had treated patients during Christmas time and in January that presented with the same symptoms being reported now, which are non-specific symptoms related to a viral upper respiratory infection, but the symptoms seemed more severe than usual. It's also flu season and folks showing up to the hospital with flu like symptoms and being diagnosed with pneumonia as a result due to underlying co-morbidities is nothing new. Again, I could be wrong, but I definitely think this virus has been on our shores longer than we think. My wife and I had the "Flu" 5 weeks ago that resulted in chest tightness/congestion, and shortness of breath. Was it COVID-19? Maybe, I definitely could have acquired it treating patients at my hospital. We also have a large Asian & Russian population here in SoCal that travels back and forth fairly frequently.

Good luck and God bless you all out there. You're all the real heroes out there man.

Last edited:
No doubt.

Thanks for your front line service. You’ve been called to duty again, and you’ve answered like you always do. We are grateful.

Best to you and your family.