Why our run defense sucks. (Breakdown)

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
First play here. Base Defense. Look at Michael Pinckney. Pinckney runs in Shaq's gap and the RB breaks loose running through Pinckney's gap. Pinckney should be there to meet the RB at the LOS for no gain but overruns the play trying to chase a TFL stat and Redwine does his job as he is suppose to contain the outside/cutback run.

Basic RPO. Again, ZERO discipline by a LB. This time it is Charles Perry he should be disciplined by containing the outside and watching the mesh. Perry is suppose to wait for the result of the mesh and had he contained the outside and watched the mesh Blackman would of handed-off to the RB where there 3 Hurricanes there for a stop.

PLAY YOUR GAP PINCKNEY. Pinckney goes into Shaq's gap AGAIN trying to get a TFL and again the RB bust through his gap. The worse part is Patrick is a big guy who he needs a big hole to run through and Pinckney is providing it.

Shaq makes the wrong read and Pinckney just couldn't get off a block. Great hesitation move by Akers.

Chad Thomas gets off the block but whiffs, McCloud reads the play extremely slow, takes a step outside and then whiffs.

McCloud beats the block and contains the outside then his numbers switch from 53 to 35 just another whiff tackle by McCloud.

McIntosh defeats the block then whiffs the tackle in the backfield on 2nd and 18! Makes the 3rd down convertible. Shaq is there but takes a bad misstep to the outside at the last second giving Akers a lane.

McCloud just misses another tackle in open space.

Sweet baby. So many bad on this play. Pinckney rushes into the LOS without reading the RB or else he meets the RB at the hole. McCloud.. idk what that was tbh. Joe Jackson misses the tackle and Akers explodes for about 50 yards.

All these plays right there have to account for at least 100+ or so yards out of the 200 we allowed and they were the most basic mistakes made that allow those plays to happen. Terrible discipline, poor tackling, and jumping the wrong gaps by LBs etc. Honestly, Shaq is the best LB we have. Pinckney makes play but he can be a huge liability against the run at times. McCloud has regressed badly.

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
Without watching the film in detail I already figured that our problem had to be poor run fits by the LB's.
The only other possibilities would be poor alignment (schematically) or lack of physicality up front, and I knew it wasn't the latter.

Looks to me like the LB's are just running into gaps, not necessarily finding the football.

The one thing I hate is how far up-field our DE's get at times. They're taking themselves completely out of the play and opening up seams/cut-backs in the run game.

supacane

Senior
I watched the highlights and couldn't believe how basic and unforced these were. We were just jumping out of gaps and missing tackles and it's been happening since Duke. Shaq plays with the most discipline and I don't know why McCloud is missing so many tackles. There was another one where he throws his shoulder in Akers and he bust down the right for big yards. Maybe it need to be simplified again like last season. We can't keep allowing these runs and expect to win.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

ChosenOne

Band
Banned
IDC what anyone says.. run defense is on players. Once the ball is handed-off it 1v1 football, beat blocks, stay discipline, find the ball, and make a tackle. I saw nothing scheme related but I do wish our D-line would make more plays in the run game or clog the middle but our D-line is giving the LBs every opportunity to make the play at the LOS for 1-2 gains they're never in position 85% of the time. I saw this against Duke and Toldeo as well but I'm not gonna go back and forth when the FSU clips basically explains our poor run defense this year. The LBs ain't Bermuda 2.0 so we can shut all that down now. Also you can't be a elite front 7 unless you shutdown the run and hold teams to under 3.4/3.5 yards a carry the entire year. Point black PERIOD.

Last edited:

Rellyrell

All-ACC
Discipline has been the biggest issue. It's hard to imagine our freshmen LBs were more disciplined then our now sophomore LBs

MrMachete

Recruit
How can an entire undisciplined unit not be on the coach? It isn’t one player. Basically the entire unit is either missing assignments, being undisciplined, missing tackles, or not getting the right drop. It’s happening consistently. It’s on Diaz. It’s his unit and he’s the coordinator.

JgDaCane

All-ACC
this is on Diaz. linebackers is his position group.
Nah it's on the players playing the game. Make tackles & don't blow assignments.
consistently blowing assignments to not being where you're supposed to be is a coaching issue. especially if the starters and the backups are all doing it.
You don't think he tells them the right thing to do? THEY have to execute. At some point it's on the players.

DusseDez

Freshman
LBs better step it up and be ready or GT will rush for 400 yards on us. If there’s one team you have to be disciplined on against the run it’s them. I have faith in Diaz and our guys will see better results Saturday.

Salt

"It's All About The Roo"
seems like our front 4 is disruptive enough that lbs can afford to be a little more read and react. I recall Jimmy's lines would have the goal of causing chaos and the lbs goal was to clean up the mess.

Seems like our entire front 7 is just attacking with wild abandon which can create some negative plays on offense but is also vulnerable for getting gashed for huge chunks.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff. I alluded to some of these (poor run fits, getting caught in the wash, reluctance to slip blocks) in the game review and the LB thread (Zach Mccloud). Some didn't appreciate the realistic take on LBs missing some plays, but **** happens. It' really not that big a deal because (1) we somehow won and (2) these are really all fixable issues.

I think we have bigger issues at Safety.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member
By the way, Diaz is accountable for it because he's the one getting paid, but ya'll are f'in crazy if you think he somehow went from creating magic with 3 true Frosh LBs to thinking "well, maybe they don't need to be coached this season." **** happens in a game. Sometimes assignments don't get executed. For various reasons.

On the bright side, we don't have some fundamental flaw. I'm more concerned about our LBs in coverage and being played in space than I am about these tackling and overaggression issues they need to clean up.

UknowWhat

Senior
Without watching the film in detail I already figured that our problem had to be poor run fits by the LB's.
The only other possibilities would be poor alignment (schematically) or lack of physicality up front, and I knew it wasn't the latter.

Looks to me like the LB's are just running into gaps, not necessarily finding the football.

The one thing I hate is how far up-field our DE's get at times. They're taking themselves completely out of the play and opening up seams/cut-backs in the run game.
Another good point... Last week our DE and LB created FSUs best running lanes not FSUs OLine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sabetta

Junior
By the way, Diaz is accountable for it because he's the one getting paid, but ya'll are f'in crazy if you think he somehow went from creating magic with 3 true Frosh LBs to thinking "well, maybe they don't need to be coached this season." **** happens in a game. Sometimes assignments don't get executed. For various reasons.

On the bright side, we don't have some fundamental flaw. I'm more concerned about our LBs in coverage and being played in space than I am about these tackling and overaggression issues they need to clean up.
Maybe you should watch the film again. This isn't Doritos D where everyone looks lost. In every example above plays are there to be made. I hate to say it but McCloud is a disaster right now.

UknowWhat

Senior
IDC what anyone says.. run defense is on players. Once the ball is handed-off it 1v1 football, beat blocks, stay discipline, find the ball, and make a tackle. I saw nothing scheme related but I do wish our D-line would make more plays in the run game or clog the middle but our D-line is giving the LBs every opportunity to make the play at the LOS for 1-2 gains they're never in position 85% of the time. I saw this against Duke and Toldeo as well but I'm not gonna go back and forth when the FSU clips basically explains our poor run defense this year. The LBs ain't Bermuda 2.0 so we can shut all that down now. Also you can't be a elite front 7 unless you shutdown the run and hold teams to under 3.4/3.5 yards a carry the entire year. Point black PERIOD.
U do realize The Bermuda Triangle was SRs and or Red Shirt Seniors compared to kids that have played 16 games

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

blackvern

All-ACC
This was a hellified breakdown of our running defense good shyt OP