Why is this a political site now?

raincane

Freshman
I used to come here to get away from political crap. I can read that all day long elsewhere. Also it’s one thing to post important safety info or health info, but most posts in this are along the lines of “trump fucked this” or “trump did this good” or “Pelosi fucked this” etc.

For_The_U

All ACC
Go to the football board then. FFS be grown, this is an issue in all of our lives right now and the mods finally gave us a platform. Some of us refuse to use FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
This.

@raincane the answer to your question is because this virus came out of left field and absolutely consumed our lives, all of our lives. It even began consuming the entire football board. The mods therefore decided to start a separate coronavirus forum. And they've continually moved everything virus related over here so it doesn't permeate the football board.

Sure, I get the reasons politics werent allowed on these boards prior. Heck, you can witness some of our own taking things extremely personal and attacking each other. That sucks. It's a shame people can't say "Trump is wrong for...." instead of "You're a scumbag for supporting Trump". Its a shame people can't say "I disagree with your position and here is why...." instead of "You are a loser libtard who lives in your mom's basement". Sadly, that is the current state of civil discourse in our country, and it was that way long before coronavirus.

But on the flip side of the coin, I'm actually pretty impressed at what we've achieved on this forum.

First, the personal attacks have only been a fraction of the discussion on here. I wish they could go away entirely, but that's not realistic.

Secondly, and more importantly, I echo duke's post that this forum has for me personally been THE place I go to discuss all things coronavirus. I appreciate the wide ranging group here; I have learned a sh-t ton from people here with WAY more knowledge in this field than me; I've done my best to embrace contrary positions and try and learn from them even if I think their premise is wrong; posters like Amherst on here have been 'in a different camp' than me pretty much all along yet I read every single post he makes and have learned a lot from him because he brings knowledge to this topic that I dont have. He and I have never once personally attacked each other, no matter how passionately we have disagreed with each other. The same could be said for many on here.

Coronavirus has consumed our lives. And honestly having this outlet has been really beneficial for me. I'm sure others would say the same.

Lastly, and not to be an as-hole, but why advocate for the forum to be erased? I agree CIS is usually a place I go to escape the nonstop hostility and political nature of seemingly everything in life these days. But these are not normal times. If you want CIS to continue being that outlet for you, wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense for YOU to simply elect not to change screens to the forum list and click on the COVID-19 forum rather than trying to have it taken away from the rest of us?

Last edited:

JD08

Evidence based and data driven
This.

@raincane the answer to your question is because this virus came out of left field and absolutely consumed our lives, all of our lives. It even began consuming the entire football board. The mods therefore decided to start a separate coronavirus forum. And they've continually moved everything virus related over here so it doesn't permeate the football board.

Sure, I get the reasons politics werent allowed on these boards prior. Heck, you can witness some of our own taking things extremely personal and attacking each other. That sucks. It's a shame people can't say "Trump is wrong for blah blah blah" instead of "You're a scumbag for supporting Trump". Its a shame people can't say "I disagree with your position and here is why...." instead of "You are a loser libtard who lives in your mom's basement". Sadly, that is the current state of civil discourse in our country, and it was that way long before coronavirus.

But on the flip side of the coin, I'm actually pretty impressed at what we've achieved on this forum.

First, the personal attacks have only been a fraction of the discussion on here. I wish they could go away entirely, but that's not realistic.

Secondly, and more importantly, I echo duke's post that this forum has for me personally been THE place I go to discuss all things coronavirus. I appreciate the wide ranging group here; I have learned a sh-t ton from people here with WAY more knowledge in this field than me; I've done my best to embrace contrary positions and try and learn from them even if I think their premise is wrong; posters like Amherst on here have been 'in a different camp' than me pretty much all along yet I read every single post he makes and have learned a lot from him because he brings knowledge to this topic that I dont have. The same could be said for many on here.

Coronavirus has consumed our lives. And honestly having this outlet has been really beneficial for me. I'm sure others would say the same.

Lastly, and not to be an as-hole, but why advocate for the forum to be erased? I agree CIS is usually a place I go to escape the nonstop hostility and political nature of seemingly everything in life. But these are not normal times. If you want CIS to continue being that outlet for you, wouldn't it make a whole lot more sense for YOU to simply elect not to change screens to the forum list and click on the COVID-19 forum rather than trying to have it taken away from the rest of us?
And you have distinguished yourself here on this forum with level headed, factual contributions.

HighSeas

Sophomore
COVID-19 is an apolitical issue - it affects humanity universally so response should be unified - but the blowhard extremists try to make it a partisan issue. The problem is the most notable of them is the POTUS so it's kinda hard not to analyze that aspect.

The irony is that Trump and his followers act as though the response to the virus and his election candidacy (via economic condition) are diametrically opposed. Trump wants Americans to rush back to work prematurely and rescue his economy when the most self-serving thing he can do is to take the virus seriously and reduce its impact to save lives and stop the spread before the election. Then the economy can return to function.

Everything is backwards right now. The Left wants to stop the virus when their best shot at running the country is if Trump proceeds with his suicidal faceplant and the virus runs rampant for many months. The Right wants to 'fix the economy' ASAP when that can only backfire. That is the absurdity of American politics in a nutshell.

Signed, a fiscally conservative mostly libertarian Canadian

crossover22[]_[]

[]_[] already know!
Because we're dealing with cult members who believe the right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness are guaranteed to only white people and those of their choosing.
Who has ever claimed that?

I remember a certain democrat president saying ill have these n words voting Democrat the next 200 years.

305to954

All ACC
I used to come here to get away from political crap. I can read that all day long elsewhere. Also it’s one thing to post important safety info or health info, but most posts in this are along the lines of “trump fucked this” or “trump did this good” or “Pelosi fucked this” etc.
My man..flip to another section. You don’t have to read it

Pelican45

Freshman
One thing this forum has convinced me of: I will vote in Nov. 2020. Failing to detect any sign of sanity in the Dem party, I will vote for whatever brain dead clown the Reps run. It’s really down to that for me. It’s not the lesser of two evils. It’s much worse than that.