Why D-Linemen are so critical to a LB's success (Curtis Port

Cityboy4life82

Thunderdome
I am posting some football talk in order to help past the time during the slow off season. In this segment I wanted to give a brief summary of why the play of the defensive line is so critical to the success of a LB.

Curtis Porter will be highlighted in this segment because he does a great job of disrupting the line of scrimmage. While Marcus Forston was more highly touted coming out of Highschool he was never able to control the line of scrimmage with power or speed.

We have been very critical of our LB play over the last few seasons and while some of those complaints were legitimate, it was not completely the fault of UM’s Line backing core.

In both the 4-3 and hybrid, LB’s are not the large 260lb backers you typically see in a 3-4 and are generally undersized. Taking on huge offensive tackles and guards can become a problem without the help of the defensive front four.

UM runs a 4-3 hybrid and this is the typical alignment and gap assignment of a 4-3 and hybrid defense.
This diagram shows the typical gap assignment of a 4-3 alignment. A key to making this defense work is having defensive linemen who can prevent either the guards or tackles from reaching the second level. Offensive linemen want to generate push while scraping off the defensive tackle in route to the undersized Linebackers. This creates running lanes for running backs.

5.jpg

What the Line up looks like when we are in a 4-3 hybrid formation.

6.jpg

Examples of plays where the offensive linemen were able to reach the second level. The LB’s did not have chance on this play. Look how big the running lanes are. The offensive linemen were allowed to run free with very little opposition.

Pre Snap.
7.jpg

Look at how poorly we controlled the line of scrimmage. Our defensive linemen gave the offensive linemen little resistance in reaching the second level. Our LB’s were crushed by 320lb linemen. Spence at the bottom of the screen was eventually met by the guard that was running free who was leading the running back

8.jpg

Pre Snap
9.jpg

Look at how far the defensive linemen were driven off the ball. Notice the offensive linemen have reached the second level and have their hands on a UM LB
10.jpg

When a team has a defensive tackle that can anchor the front four like Porter, it makes the job of the linebackers that much easier.

Pre Snap

11.jpg

Look how Porters destroys the line of scrimmage at the point of attack and prevents the offensive linemen from reaching the second level, leaving a LB untouched and free to fill the lanes. Porter creates a new line of scrimmage.

12.jpg

The offensive line never got to the second level and the Linebackers were able to fill the lanes and make the tackle for a loss.

13.jpg

Pre Snap
14.jpg

Again Porter creates a new line of scrimmage and dominates at the point of attack. This occupies the offensive linemen and prevents them from scraping. They are not able to reach the second level. The Linebackers are left untouched and are able to fill the lanes that are left open

15.jpg

Last edited:
Advertisement
the main thing to see here is how KSU's oline whooped our Dline, but when its our OLine vs our DLine on of the crappy underperforming units has to win.

260 lb LBers?

in college?

lol

I don't know where Saban got them from but he had two of them last year. But with Golden I noticed the size of our DT's has increased. Our LB's size is nowhere near bamas but everyone is close to 230

Last edited:
Advertisement
235-250 range is very possible with our recent recruits. The DE/LB hybrids we have brought to the team in 2011/2012. 260 is tough to get to while maintaining speed, and not likely at this level on a consistent basis. Other than that, great stuff.

This is a good discussion. I feel that the key to a successful 4-3 is DT's and the Mike LBer. DT's are the key to clogging up the LOS and in pushing the pocket back in passing situations. The middle LBer should be big enough to take on a O-linemen but agile enough to run sideline to sideline and make tackles. Since Morgan and Vilma name me one solid true Mike we've had?

McDermott getting blown off the ball once in a while is something we'll need to get used to.

Advertisement
Out DT situation has sucked for years. We need at least 1 guy to step up and push up the middle to help the athletic LBs run downhill towards the ball. If this position is improved as much as we think it will be by Fall (stregnth/endurance) our D will really come together.

Advertisement
Out DT situation has sucked for years. We need at least 1 guy to step up and push up the middle to help the athletic LBs run downhill towards the ball. If this position is improved as much as we think it will be by Fall (stregnth/endurance) our D will really come together.

Defensive end is where I worry. Can Cain and others hold up against the run.

The first diagram is the traditional Miami 40 over/slide front where the DEs are playing 95 techniques from strongside to weakside. In recent years we've had issues stuffing the run out of this front. Typically the over front has three areas which can be problematic, and a lot of teams have exploited those areas. I think one issue is that we haven't got outstanding penetration from our tackles in recent years. Another issue is that our DEs haven't really executed the block down step down rule effectively. If we get better execution from the entire front four that would help linebacker play.

The second diagram regarding the hybrid is really an under front. The strongside DT is playing a one technique and the WDT is playing the three. Actually, this is the front I would like to see UM run more on first downs. It is a better run stuffing front than the over as there are only two problematic areas. In addition, a lot of teams blitz from the under front and seem to have better results than from the over. One position of great interest in the under front is the type of player playing the sam backer. That player needs to be as rugged as mike because he will take a pounding in this front.

Advertisement
Back